Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: films of 2010

Not sure. I don't think a "definitive" Dune adaptation could ever be made, so I don't really care how they screw it up, since they're going to screw it up no matter what.

Oh and don't blame the Bard Gillian; humour never travels well, especially across time.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Not sure. I don't think a "definitive" Dune adaptation could ever be made, so I don't really care how they screw it up, since they're going to screw it up no matter what.
    Well, there's always caring how much they screw it up. But I'm still deeply annoyed about The Wizard of Oz, so what do I know?

Oh and don't blame the Bard Gillian; humour never travels well, especially across time.
    Don't get me wrong--I think a lot of Shakespeare is hilarious. Heck, Mercutio is the only character in Romeo and Juliet I can stand for that very reason. I'm just saying that, you know, few of his plots were what you might call original. It's what he did with them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'm interested in a couple from the OP list, and some others that nobody's mentioned yet (eg Eagle of the Ninth).

Mostly, though, I'm looking forward to some blu-rays that are coming out this year (Alien Quadrilogy, for example) and some films that are being shot this year - like The Hobbit and Ghostbusters III.

Forgot about Eagle of the Ninth! That was one of those books I always meant to read in school but never did. Kevin MacDonald is a great director so it should be interesting to see what he does with it.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Forgot about Eagle of the Ninth! That was one of those books I always meant to read in school but never did. Kevin MacDonald is a great director so it should be interesting to see what he does with it.
    I read it recently, and enjoyed it. Historically speaking, it's nonsense, and the native inhabitants of what is now Scotland are extremely badly realised. However, in general I thought the book did create a suprisingly immersive picture of life in the second century British Isles. I couldn't help but enjoy it.

I agree about Kevin MacDonald, he's a good director. There are, though, things about the way he's making the film that leave me cold, and I find myself, yet again, faced with what I fear will be the missing of another great film making opportunity.

Centurion is not based on the book, but is loosely based on the same events (although "idea" would be a better word) that inspired the book. I don't know as much about his one, but I like Neil Marshall and I like what I've seen of it (pictures, short clips from the set, etc). Much of Ninth was filmed pretty locally to me, so I know more about that. I know far too much about the actual tribes these Romans would have faced, and I'm a stickler for unneccesary drifting from historical accuracy, so I think to make the most of either of these I'll probably have to hang my brain up on a peg for a few hours. But I'm looking forward to seeing both. I'm particulatly looking forward to seeing Gaelic being used fairly extensively in a reasonably major film. Despite, of course, that being about as historically accurate as replacing the natives with ray-gun totting Martians!

Well, to be fair, no one has a clue what Pictish sounded like, so yes, even though the Gaels wouldn't leave Ireland for about 300 years, I suppose it's the best alternative. I'm assuming the Romans in the movie will be speaking modern English instead of Latin, right?

Stephen Colbert.

Well, to be fair, no one has a clue what Pictish sounded like, so yes, even though the Gaels wouldn't leave Ireland for about 300 years, I suppose it's the best alternative. I'm assuming the Romans in the movie will be speaking modern English instead of Latin, right?
    Actually, most of us have got a pretty good idea - there are many clues. I know they're just using Gaelic in the film to make clear the difference between the locals and the Roman solidiers, so that's fair enough - and, of course, I wholeheartedly support anything that promotes Gaelic. If they'd been going for historical accuracy, while still using a modern language, they would have found a much closer match for Pictish by using Welsh.

Yes, the solidiers speak English in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Well, there's always caring how much they screw it up. But I'm still deeply annoyed about The Wizard of Oz, so what do I know?
    I just found out that John Boorman is doing a Wizard of Oz remake next year. I want to repeat that. John Boorman, the guy who made Zardoz, is doing a Wizard of Oz remake. Do you think that Oz the Great and Terrible will inform Dorothy that "THE GUN IS GOOD. THE PENIS IS EVIL"?

Stephen Colbert.

I'm going to go see Legion no matter what, because I've heard Paul Bettany gets naked in it and rocks a slammin' hot bod.

Yes, I'm shallow...

I just found out that John Boorman is doing a Wizard of Oz remake next year. I want to repeat that. John Boorman, the guy who made Zardoz, is doing a Wizard of Oz remake. Do you think that Oz the Great and Terrible will inform Dorothy that "THE GUN IS GOOD. THE PENIS IS EVIL"?
    If the shoes are the colour of Sean Connery's diaper, I will continue to be upset regardless.

And Hope and Glory wasn't terrible.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Neither were Deliverance or Excalibur. But given the twisted relationship that act of chemical psychosis Zardoz has with Baum's original, I have to wonder what he's going to include in a remake.

Stephen Colbert.

Neither were Deliverance or Excalibur. But given the twisted relationship that act of chemical psychosis Zardoz has with Baum's original, I have to wonder what he's going to include in a remake.
    I found Excalibur merely mediocre, but I thought Deliverance was actually terrible. I also feel that people exaggerate the drugginess of Baum's original--they fixate on the poppies, I think.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    . . . but I thought Deliverance was actually terrible.
    Was that terrible good or terrible bad?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Based on what she's said in IM? Terrible bad.

Terrible bad. Zardoz was amusing in a train wreck kind of way. Deliverance was not.

"You can't erase icing."

I can't win with you, can I? It seems we don't agree on anything.

And I was referring to the fact that Zardoz was inspired by Wizard of Oz.

Stephen Colbert.

I'd rather say that part of the back story of Zardoz the movie was that Zardos the floating head thingie was inspired by The Wizard of Oz, the movie itself wasn't really inspired by The Wizard of Oz except indirectly.

The movie was partly an exploration of the difference between nature and nurture.

And I'll freely admit to liking it, it's not often you see anyone managing to be manly while wearing nothing but an orange diaper.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

I can't win with you, can I? It seems we don't agree on anything.
    Oh, I'm sure there's something!

And I was referring to the fact that Zardoz was inspired by Wizard of Oz.
    Plus lots and lots of drugs, clearly. In my review, I said all I could picture was Keith Richards sitting off to the side, saying, "You guys might want to take it easy." Yeah, I can see some of what's going on there.

"You can't erase icing."

Some 2010 release dates
    ...“The Green Hornet” Dec. 22...

Woah. I had no idea that Michel Gondry was directing "The Green Hornet"! I'm suddenly interested in seeing it.

Stephen Colbert.

Smile Films

Guys: I am upset that ya'll are makin fun of the South....As an Alabama resident, I cannot let a bunch of movie buffs denigrate that fine epic....."De-liver-ants"!! BTW: The tourist boat stops at the "Ned Beatty Tree" And one more thing The Ocoee and Nantaheala rivers are in Georgia and Tennesee....Not this fine place.....We have football rivalries, and resulting violence, not "Pig Squealing Contests", or Free Dental Exams!!! (Not to mention NASCAR and all that goes with it!!!)

BOOK OF ELI: I am hoping this is not "A Canticle for Liebowitz" with violence...

Dale

Woah. I had no idea that Michel Gondry was directing "The Green Hornet"!
    Interesting fellow:
    ...He pioneered the "bullet time" technique later adapted in The Matrix, [citation needed] in a 1998 commercial for Smirnoff vodka...According to the Guinness World Records 2004, Michel Gondry's Levi's 501 Jeans "Drugstore" [YouTube 01:31] spot holds the record for "Most awards won by a TV commercial". The commercial was never aired in North America because of the suggestive content...

Music Videos
    ..."Gimme Shelter" - The Rolling Stones (1998) [YouTube 04:33]...
    wiki

He also directed my favourite film of 2004, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

Here's a weird one. I had no idea that Chris Morris was releasing a film this year, but it seems just as well-adjusted as a lot of the stuff he does. For the record, Chris Morris is a British "comedian", if that is the right word, who tries to find whatever taboos are still left in comedy and completely shatter them, whether his audience wants him to or not. A vaguely terrifying individual (he looks like Christian Bale would look if he were resurrected from the dead by occult forces) there has been much speculation throughout his career as to whether or not he is actually sane. To get an idea of the sort of things that flow through his Lovecraftian mind, here is the most famous sketch from his comedy show "Jam":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6p5ORHRnXs

and here's a clip from his faux current affairs program "BrassEye" in which he got C-list British celebrities to say ludicrous things in the name of charity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnQD...eature=related

and here is Morris himself at his abhuman peak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFNs2mOkKzc

and so, here is his new film "Four Lions", a comedy about suicide bombers. Make of it what you will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZVfyQyu9RY

Stephen Colbert.

The first review of Alice is in and it's... not good.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-...-in-wonderland

Drew McWeeny, aka Moriarty, is "my critic". In other words, to an almost supernatural degree, his opinions on films always turn out in perfect alignment with mine. We disagree on a few things (He liked Batman Returns) but as far as modern or upcoming films are concerned, his opinions have been a remarkable predictor of how I will feel about a movie.

And he HATED this movie.

Stephen Colbert.

And did anyone... ANYONE... really need a backstory for the Mad Hatter to explain why he's mad? No? Well, too bad, 'cause you're gonna get one. And it's really really stupid.
    So "because he's a hatter" isn't considered enough anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Great line! That made me laugh.

I've not seen all Tim Burton's films, or all Johnny Depp's, but what I have seen has struck me as very samey and not-the-real-deal - a kind of lazy, affected strangeness that is simply too obvious and which gets very tiresome as soon as you spot the formula, i.e. more or less immediately.

It's a bit like those jokes that go, "What's the difference between a fish and a lawyer? Well, one is slippery and smelly, and the other lives in the sea." Funny the first time, but once you've caught on to the fact that the first description sounds like one of the items, but it's actually the other, further instances of the joke fail.

I dunno. That joke works sometimes. My favourite version is from Spaced:

"You know what they say about love and war"

"Yeah. One involves a great deal of physical and psychological pain and the other one's war."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Great line! That made me laugh.
    How soon we forget.

Hatters had a tendency to get erratic because of mercury poisoning from the mercury used in the hat production. Which is where "mad as a hatter" came from.

I will see Alice regardless. This is in part because I really like Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, and in part because it has to be better than Percy Jackson, which we saw last weekend. If you know anything whatsoever about Greek mythology, skip it. Just walk away. Pretend it doesn't exist; it's easier to do if you haven't sat through it.

"You can't erase icing."

I've had a crush on Uma Thurman since I was 12, but even she couldn't drag me to that travesty. I actually know ancient Greek, so you can guess what my reaction to that trailer was.

Stephen Colbert.