Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: films of 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've always felt that Wayne's Rooster Cogburn was overrated anyway. However, Jeff Bridges is a better actor, if not always a consistent one. The Coens, by the way, say that they stuck closer to the original book instead of to the Wayne version.
    I'll defer to the directors', then. Not that it matters much to me. Whether a movie is intended as a remake or as a different interpretation gets lost once the film starts rolling. Having a poor memory helps as well.

I can see that. To me, whether it's a different interpretation or not depends as often as anything on how far either version strays from the text.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Ugh. I don't care for Jack Black to begin with, and I don't grok the satire of Gulliver's Travels anyway. The scene of him tied down by little people is iconic, but I've never understood why he couldn't pull himself free. Did they stake the ropes into bedrock? I've also read that the scene of Gulliver pulling a ship around a harbor would be impossible, according to a mechanical engineer or somebody who analyzed the weight ratios and such.
    Probably would help if you either lived during the first half of the 18th Century in Europe, or are at least fairly well acquainted with the period.

Are you seriously trying to apply scientific understanding to a fantasy tale?
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Ugh. I don't care for Jack Black to begin with, and I don't grok the satire of Gulliver's Travels anyway. The scene of him tied down by little people is iconic, but I've never understood why he couldn't pull himself free. Did they stake the ropes into bedrock?
    Get yourself a copy of Gulliver's Travels that's been annotated by Isaac Asimov. The Good Doctor explains nearly everything, sometimes at considerable length. Try your local library system.

ISBN-10: 0517539497
    ISBN-13: 978-0517539491

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Good fantasy stories should follow a certain logic. If fantasy stories were just about random impossible things happening that we're not supposed to question, then the genre would be a lot less popular than it is.

I haven't seen the John Wayne version, nor have I read the book, so I'm going to see True Grit and ignore everyone who wants to compare it to something else.

With no preconceptions is, in practice, always the best way to approach something, even though it is perhaps psychologically impossible.

Only two new films to review this week, New Year's Eve not being a noted date on the filmgoing calendar:

Blue Valentine: This trailer is surprisingly clever; I say surprisingly because it belies this film's trite title and uninspired (if very sexy) poster. By intercutting the lead couple's meet-cute with the future complexities of their unfolding relationship, it seems to both make an ironic comment on the fatuousness of love at first sight, and yet also to suggest that the passion and power and hope of first love can outlast any setbacks.

Biutiful: In case we've somehow forgotten that Javier Bardem is one of the greatest actors alive, here comes another 2 minutes to remind us. I'm looking forward to this; I haven't seen an Alejandro González Iñárritu film since Amores Perros, and I've decided to make this my reconciliation. Don't get me wrong; Amores Perros was a great film, but it was such a blatant ripoff of Pulp Fiction that it rendered me permanently sceptical of his ability to compose an original narrative. Here's hoping my preconceptions are wrong.

And....

that's it. Next week, assuming no howls of anguished protest, I will begin Films of 2011!
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    No, a mechanical engineer did, and I just read about it.

Although at the age of twelve, I was a tad disappointed that he wouldn't be able to pull a ship around like that. It may indeed be fantasy, but it felt like it would be a possible fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    Get yourself a copy of Gulliver's Travels that's been annotated by Isaac Asimov. The Good Doctor explains nearly everything, sometimes at considerable length. Try your local library system.

ISBN-10: 0517539497
    ISBN-13: 978-0517539491

Fred
    Didn't know there was such a thing. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    The King's Speech: This isn't out in the UK, nor is it scheduled in the near future. Perhaps for us Brits, seeing Helena Bonham Carter play the Queen Mum is a bit weird.
    Saw this last night. By far and away the best film I have seen for years. Very powerful, very well acted, a joy to watch.

Saw True Grit last night. Fantastic movie. Best western since Unforgiven, and one of the few movies I'd happily sit in my seat and watch a second time. Hailee Steinfeld has the potential to have a very rewarding acting career.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Toonpur Ka Superherro:1 CG is really levelling the international playing field when Bollywood can release a movie like this. Not sure if I can make head or tail of it but it feels like a South Asian version of Cool World.

1No, that isn't a typo
    Yes that's a typo, it's Superrhero

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain