Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: films of 2010

films of 2010

I haven't done one of these in a while. But I thought I'd list the movies I'm most looking forward to in 2010.

The White Ribbon: Michael Heneke is not an easy filmmaker to love. Like Lars von Trier, he seems to make a habit of declaring ideological war on his own audience. But like Lars von Trier, when he's on top form, he's unbeatable. From the looks of things, this will be Heneke on top form, which I haven't seen since Time of the Wolf.

Daybreakers: OK, the plot is ridiculous (the human race has been largely transformed into vampires, who now face a blood shortage due to the lack of available humans), and the trailer made no sense (so are we supposed to be saving the humans, the vampires, or what?) but it's got Evil Sam Neill! I love Evil Sam Neill. I even loved "The Final Conflict", "Event Horizon" and the end of "In the Mouth of Madness" because they had Evil Sam Neill. So I'll see this.

The Book of Eli: Denzel Washington as Mad Max. Directed by the Hughes Brothers. How could it be any more awesome?

Legion: This movie's basically a rehash of The Prophecy, but with a good archangel Michael instead of an evil archangel Gabriel. But it's got Doug Jones in it! Doug freakin Jones!

Edge of Darkness: Mel Gibson's redemption (maybe). Looks superb, and it's got the terrifying Danny Huston in it.

The Wolfman: Benicio del Toro, Anthony Hopkins and Emily Blunt seal it for me, even if it is directed by Joe "Jumanji" Johnston. Rick Baker did the makeup!

Shutter Island: Martin Scorsese does horror! On an island prison for the criminally insane! With Max von Sydow and Ben Kingsley! (and Leo Di Caprio, but that's forgivable). This is going to be sooo coool...

Alice in Wonderland: Was anyone other than Tim Burton ever going to do this? Not a remake but a sequel (of sorts) that combines elements of Wonderland and Looking Glass with an older Alice returning to her childhood nightmare, this stars Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter (of course), Stephen Fry Anne Hathaway and a whole lot of others. Trailer looks like an acid trip, as it should.

Green Zone: Paul Greengrass, who made United 93 and The Bourne Supremacy, takes Matt Damon into the Iraq War. He has my faith, even if the war itself has produced some pretty bad movies.

Clash of the Titans: The perfect film for a remake; great concept, great cameo by Larry Olivier as Zeus and spectacular Harryhausen effects let down by lame lead Harry Hamlin and an R2D2 robot. Well, now they have Liam Neeson as Zeus, admittedly spectacular CG effects, no R2 robot to be seen and, well, Sam Worthington. Still, Liam seems to be enjoying himself in the trailer, and he deserves to, poor guy.

I Love You Phillip Morris: Jim Carrey plays a convict who tries to break out of prison to reunite with a fellow inmate who he's in love with. The major studios wouldn't touch this one, but from the writers of Bad Santa, it must be good.

Kick ***: Everyone, even Claudia Schiffer, seems to love director Matthew Vaughn except audiences. This movie, a kind of Watchmen crossed with Shoot-Em-Up, has been testing through the roof among "fanboys", and could result in his first true hit.

Wall Street 2: No, this isn't a direct-to-video sequel. Oliver Stone is actually making a sequel to Wall Street, his first movie with a "2" in it. Was there a better time to resurrect Gordon Gekko? Or Michael Douglas? It's got the new Audrey Hepburn, Carey Mulligan in it too. And Shia leBeuf. But I can ignore that.

A Nightmare on Elm Street: I've never been much of a fan of the original; a great premise rendered mute by lapses in logic (it's one thing to dream yourself to death, but I don't care if you are Johnny Depp, no one can dream himself into blended chunks) and a limited budget. Effects are cheaper now, so the dream world might be better realised, and anyone who saw Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach in Watchmen knows he was born to play Freddy. So I'm ambivalent.

Iron Man 2: The first one was a blast and this one looks at least as good. It may have taken 15 years, but Robert Downey Jr has finally claimed the throne of King of Hollywood that is rightfully his. Mickey Rourke has been an idol of mine since Angel Heart and Scarlett Johannson, well, she's hot. I've never been impressed with her non-physical traits but hey, I never thought I'd enjoy watching Gwenyth Paltrow until Iron Man.

Robin Hood: With Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott, this feels a bit like Gladiator 2. And I wasn't a fan of Gladiator. But it's got Cate Blanchett and a script by Brian Helegaland (LA Confidential), so it might be good.

Predators: Its title evokes Aliens, and that's deliberate. All indications from the spoiler community are that this is the sequel to Predator everyone wanted when the first one came out in 1987, but never got. Set on the Predators' jungle homeworld, it involves a selection of kidnapped human warriors from around the world in a Most Dangerous Game-style survive-a-thon. It's got Lawrence Fishburne in it!

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time: Bruckheimer's attempt to catch the lightning in a bottle that was Pirates of the Caribbean a second time around. Only now he has Jake Gyllenhaal instead of Johnny Depp and Ben Kingsley instead of Geoffrey Rush. And it seems, no Persians. If the Iranians went nuts over 300, how are they going to react to this?

The A-Team: no one would be talking about this movie (and I wouldn't have placed it on this list) if it weren't for two things: Liam Neeson playing Hannibal Smith and Sharlito Copeley (District 9) as Murdock. Copeley knocked it out of the park and became an unlikely star in District 9, so seeing what he does next will be worth the price of admission.

Toy Story 3: If I only knew that this was a film from the writer of Little Miss Sunshine with Kristen Schaal in it, it would be on my radar.

Inception: The trailer made no sense whatsoever, but post-Dark Knight, Christopher Nolan could probably film the phone book and have my interest.

Salt: Great poster, rather silly trailer, but Phillip Noyce and Angelina Jolie are a great pairing.

Let Me In: Last years Swedish "vampire" flick Let The Right One In was excellent (though I think it stopped a bit short of the "masterpiece" many claim it to be) but remaking it for American audiences will be tough.

Centurion: Roman epic from Neil Marshall. At this point I'm a bit jaded on Roman epics, and on Marshall, who proved he didn't walk on water after Doomsday, but I still love The Descent and Dog Soldiers, so he has one free pass left from me.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: Edgar "Shaun of the Dead" Wright directs Michael Cera as a geek who must defeat his girlfriend's seven superpowered exes. It doesn't get better than that.

Tron: Legacy: When he made Tron in 1982, Jeff Bridges was a cocky, breezy kid. Now he's one of the best actors in Hollywood. Conversely, Bruce Boxleitner did Babylon 5 and then disappeared into Asylum ripoffs. They're both back. So you can imagine the trepidation I have for this movie.
    Last edited by parallaxicality; 2010-Jan-03 at 07:42 PM.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

I'm looking forward to Shutter Island, Wall Street 2, and Edge of Darkness.

Machete, based upon one of the fake movie trailers in Grindhouse. Danny Trejo is playing a guy armed with a giant machete and lots of other knives, and he's out for revenge.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Honestly, I have no interest in most of those. Did Nightmare on Elm Street need a remake? It did not. Yes, okay, one of the ones I'm looking forward to is a sequel, and one is, shall we say, based on preexisting material in a Tim Burton-y sort of way. But have we so run out of ideas that we're remaking movies we all know weren't actually good stories in the first place? (Incidentally, you mean "moot" and are, for reasons I cannot fathom, assuming they'll be toning down the ridiculous gore.) Does the world need another video game movie? Even with talented actors? Come on--Uwe Boll gets talented actors!

Oh, and Leonardo DiCaprio can act. He just generally doesn't seem to bother. Try What's Eating Gilbert Grape? for good performances from both him and Johnny Depp. I had a roommate in college whose mother thought for years that DiCaprio was actually retarded because of how convincing he was in that movie.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Actually I meant mute, but I may have mixed a metaphor subconsciously. And I did enjoy Leo in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, but that was 15 years ago (I think)
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Burton's Alice in Wonderland looks like it's going to scare the bejeezus out of a certain subset of kids whose parents don't realize how demented psychotic the film will be. They're the same type of people who took their kids to see Fritz the Cat because "It's a cartoon, and cartoons are just for kids."

"I never read Alice, but I saw the Disney cartoon, and it's a kids' story, so...."

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    And I did enjoy Leo in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, but that was 15 years ago (I think)
    The Aviator? Catch Me If You Can? And even leaving that aside, you know, it's not as though some mystical force took away his acting ability--except laziness, hardly mystical.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

there is only one guy that can be Freddie Krueger.
    every time i see the commercial for "Daybreakers", i ask myself why vampire movies are so popular these days. i wonder what that says about society in general?
    an Alice in Wonderland sequel? really? i think we need to just have the final zombie apocalypse and get it over with if someone thought we needed an Alice in Wonderland sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    an Alice in Wonderland sequel? really? i think we need to just have the final zombie apocalypse and get it over with if someone thought we needed an Alice in Wonderland sequel.
    Well, there's been one for 139 years, you know.

Yes, I know that Tim Burton won't be doing Through the Looking Glass any more than he'll strictly be doing Alice in Wonderland. I just thought I'd mention.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    there is only one guy that can be Freddie Krueger.
    And that would be the wimpy lizard from V, right?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Well, there's been one for 139 years, you know.
    As well as a movie commenting on them for 25 years.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    As well as a movie commenting on them for 25 years.
    Which Netflix doesn't have! (Incidentally, I'm really looking forward to the release and failure of the new Jackie Chan movie, so that dropdown will go away. It's making using that site very difficult, and my pop-up blocker doesn't seem to prevent it.)

"You can't erase icing."

Speaking of Into the Looking Glass, I've always thought that the John Ringo novel of the same name would make an awesome movie

Some more I didn't know were out this year:

Paul: Nick Frost and Simon Pegg complete their genre trilogy begun with Shaun of the Dead (horror) and Hot Fuzz (action) with a scifi film about two guys who take an alien on a road trip. Edgar Wright isn't in the team, but the director of Adventureland has signed on.

Cemetery Junction: Most people will be lining up to see this because it's made by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, the guys behind the UK Office. But for me there are only two words to get me in the queue: Emily Watson. I've had a crush on her since Breaking the Waves and I've been praying for her breakthrough for 13 years now.

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    The Expendables.

I don't care what it's about! Look at the cast list!

I'd be hiding under my bed as we speak were it possible to get under my bed. I do like Jet Li, though.

"You can't erase icing."

Honestly, I have no interest in most of those.
    I second that. I was really looking forward to Alice in Wonderland, until I recently learned it is a sequel. Still might be good, but I know the original story was great, who knows about this one. Might still be a winner.

The first Iron Man was excellent, but I have a natural dread of sequels, so we'll see.

Other than that... none of them make me excited.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The conclusion of the Harry Potter series!

"I never read Alice, but I saw the Disney cartoon, and it's a kids' story, so...."
    Even the cartoon was pretty creepy. One of the animators actually described it as "It's this cute little girl who gets thrown into a madhouse all by herself."
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I second that. I was really looking forward to Alice in Wonderland, until I recently learned it is a sequel. Still might be good, but I know the original story was great, who knows about this one. Might still be a winner.
    If anyone can do that project right, it's Tim Burton. I am also pleased by his choice of Alices, having seen the actress on the first season of In Treatment, wherein she played the only patient I didn't think was causing most of their problems through their own actions.

The first Iron Man was excellent, but I have a natural dread of sequels, so we'll see.
    In any other summer than the one it came out, the first Iron Man would have been the best superhero movie of the summer. If Robert Downey, Jr., can keep it up, it'll be worth watching for that.

Other than that... none of them make me excited.
    I'm looking forward to the first half of Deathly Hallows, but if 2010 is as disappointing a movie year as 2009, it honestly wouldn't surprise me, based on the films I've heard about thus far. Doubtless there will turn out to be small films beneath most people's radar which I'll discover, and that will be good, but there just hasn't been much lately.

"You can't erase icing."

Okay, in full disclosure to anyone who doesn't already know this; I'm not a big movie person anyway. But there's only three movies on that list that I'm even remotely interested in seeing:

Alice (I love just about anything Tim Burton does, though I don't like Scissorhands, which seems to be a sin according to everyone else on the planet)

Edge of Darkness looks like it might be good, if I'm willing to give Mel another chance. Not that I particularly dislike him, though he has done some things that he shouldn't be proud of. Who hasn't? But I'm just not interested in Mel anymore. Now, the Mad Max movies and Lethal Weapons are still some of my favorites.

Book of Eli looks like it could be really good. I've been playing 'Borderlands' on XBox, am eager to get Fallout 3, and have started reading (though am currently stalled but a few pages in) 'The Road', so that apocalypse vibe sure fits with that current theme. I'm just worried because the commercials also are giving me hints of "we want this to be the big flashy Hollywood megamovie" vibe (you know, gratuitous unnecessary action, explosions, guns, etc), which can utterly destroy a flick that should feel more grungy and understated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Book of Eli looks like it could be really good. I've been playing 'Borderlands' on XBox, am eager to get Fallout 3, and have started reading (though am currently stalled but a few pages in) 'The Road', so that apocalypse vibe sure fits with that current theme. I'm just worried because the commercials also are giving me hints of "we want this to be the big flashy Hollywood megamovie" vibe (you know, gratuitous unnecessary action, explosions, guns, etc), which can utterly destroy a flick that should feel more grungy and understated.
    All that "megamovie" vibe you just explained sounds like Mad Max to me. All three movies had *some* kind of element of that, for their time.

Quote Originally Posted by SolusLupus View Post
    All that "megamovie" vibe you just explained sounds like Mad Max to me. All three movies had *some* kind of element of that, for their time.
    I know, I'm just saying that I'm not really excited about it [Eli] if it's just another shoot 'em up explode-a-fest.

Just keep that to Fallout 3, Borderlands, and Max Max, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by SolusLupus View Post
    Just keep that to Fallout 3, Borderlands, and Max Max, eh?
    Exactly! I expect action in a video game, there's been few that can actually pull off having little action and more story, and still be entertaining.

As for Max Max; I view the 80's and early 90's as the time for the brainless shoot-em-up. I view the 2010's as time to move on. Same way I love Jaws (Probably one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time, stupid as it may be). That doesn't mean that those abysmal Anaconda movies needed to be made.

Exactly! I expect action in a video game, there's been few that can actually pull off having little action and more story, and still be entertaining.
    Like the Tex Murphy games? Or the Space Quest series?

As for Max Max; I view the 80's and early 90's as the time for the brainless shoot-em-up. I view the 2010's as time to move on. Same way I love Jaws (Probably one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time, stupid as it may be). That doesn't mean that those abysmal Anaconda movies needed to be made.
    Jaws was well-made. Anaconda was not.

Okay I'll revise my statement and say that if 'Eli' is a "Summer action blockbuster" with weak emphasis on plot, then I'm not interested. If it's a drama with some action, then I may like it.

It's funny; I completely forgot Deathly Hallows pt 1 was coming out this year. I think I deliberately purged it from my mind. I was a rabid fan back in the 90s. but by now I'm just Pottered out. And I would have preferred a single, streamlined movie to a two-year slog.

Stephen Colbert.

Okay I'll revise my statement and say that if 'Eli' is a "Summer action blockbuster" with weak emphasis on plot, then I'm not interested. If it's a drama with some action, then I may like it.
    Hell, if it's a well-run drama with a lot of action (like Man on Fire, a personal favorite), I'll like it.

If it's a mindless action movie with more flash than substance, then it's a lot of wasted potential. Because the story itself can have so much to it.

but if 2010 is as disappointing a movie year as 2009,
    Actually, my comment about those 2010 films were just about the films in the OP's list. I assume that is a list of SF/action-adventure/horror films for the year, not everything for 2010. Since right off the start I hate horror movies, or anything close, that cuts down a lot from any list I have. But I suspect there will be many other films in 2010, and some of those might even be good.

I thought there were a fair number of good films in 2009, but most of them were not in the SF/action-adventure/horror genre. In that genre, the only movies I can remember from 2009 that I saw and liked were Up! (and I assume most will disagree on sticking it in this category) and Avatar, and Star Trek was "OK" (I'll admit, I might be forgetting something).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules