Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 1912

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Given the devils are carnivores, what food source was anticipated if not the penguins and other birds on the island?
    There are a number of other avian species that they also snack on but probably the extent of the penguin loss has surprised them. However, the Devils are in a far greater risk as regards extinction so I guess a hard choice was made. There is something like 3 - 5 hundred thousand Little Penguins spread across Australia from the west to the east coast. The Devils are now only resident in Tasmania and number perhaps 25,000 with the tumour spread causing doubts on their survival in the wild.

There are a number of other breeding colonies of the Penguins around Tasmania - including one located at the town of Penguin. There are also other islands and remote coastline near to Maria Island so hopefully some of the penguins have 'moved'. I do imagine that that that there is a lot of research going on to see what the next step should be.

I've been outside the past week doing yard work, allowing the dog a lot of outside time. The dog has decided the bunnies in our bushes are her friends. She does this cute little play bow when they are around. She has no idea why they won't play with her.

We also have a rather large deer hanging out behind the house, someplace on the right of way. There is a good sized pine tree at the back of the neighbor's yard, so I suspect the doe hanging out under there. I've seen her a couple of times, but haven't captured a picture yet. She doesn't come too close, so even having a phone in my pocket is not ready enough to capture an image. The dog is so fixated on the bunnies in the bush, that she hasn't noticed the deer. It's rather comical because the doe trots away rather than fleeing at full speed. Apparently, she knows the dog isn't that observant.

For my part, it is stupefying to see dog miss a deer because she's too busy sniffing around. I've missed a few photo-ops because I couldn't believe what I saw. My wife summed it up the other day with a shocked, "Are you kidding me?"

Yesterday, the dog was searching the bushes when the utility company started mowing. After about 20 minutes, she noticed the large riding mower go by and barked at it. Just once because she had to get back to investigating the bushes. The guy just shook his head because it was easily his 3 or 4th pass. She is a horrible guard dog.
    Solfe

Well, that was exciting.

I have a small pop-up privacy tent in which I enjoy an evening cigar and beverage when it's raining or snowing or looks like it might do one or the other or both. Yesterday evening was one those occasions when it looked like rain, so I set up and settled in to video chat with friends. As I exchanged pleasantries with the group, I was startled by the sudden appearance of a brown wall with legs at the tent door. I quite literally could have reached out and touched it, since it actually brushed the tent as it passed. Instead, I reached for my bear spray and disengaged the trigger lock while I watched her head down the backside of our house. Meanwhile, my friends could only hear me me exclaiming (in a loud whisper), "Oh, [crap]! Holy [crap]!" and variations thereof. That was my cardio for the week, I think. Of course, I had another adult beverage...once the coast was clear.

As the fates would have it, I had taken the SD card from the game cam earlier so there's no video of the moose as it entered the back yard. I did grab a couple of shots of the tracks, though, such as they were. While it looked like rain, it hadn't, so she didn't leave much of an impression near the tent...just some scuff marks. Farther down the driveway, it was only a little softer near the edge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moose Sign 1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	26263 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	896.0 KB 
ID:	26264

In other news, all of the robin chicks have left the nest, save one. I looked out the backdoor window this morning and saw one chick standing atop the edge of the nest. A few minutes later, it was on the ground, hopping about. I made a quick mirror check of the nest and it appears the last chick is the runt of the brood.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Wow. I remember when we visited Alaska many years ago that multiple people told us they were more nervous about being killed by a moose than a bear.

One driver we had told us a story of a friend who was cross-country skiing when he surprised a bull who was walking down the trail. "You don't realize you can climb a tree with skies on until you have to".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The deadliest large mammals in the USA are, of course, deer. Because of all the car accidents they cause.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The deadliest large mammals in the USA are, of course, deer. Because of all the car accidents they cause.
    I could argue the deadliest large mammals in the USA (and around the world) are humans.

I think next up are domesticated dogs (among mammals). According to this website, about 200 people are killed a year in deer-car accidents (I think that was world-wide, but it wasn't clear - I found other country specific websites that put numbers in the tens, so that makes sense).

What animals kill the most humans

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Wow. I remember when we visited Alaska many years ago that multiple people told us they were more nervous about being killed by a moose than a bear.
    Yep. While generally peaceful, bulls can get downright cranky during rut but cows can be the crankiest. Wrong place, wrong time, a cow with a calf or calves can tap dance you into a puddle of pink goo. Of course bear sows with cubs are no treat, either.

And with moose being the largest member of the deer family (Cervidae) the accidents they cause are correspondingly worse. I've passed a many serious moose vs. vehicle accidents on the highway over the years, with a couple having occupant fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    In other news, all of the robin chicks have left the nest, save one. I looked out the backdoor window this morning and saw one chick standing atop the edge of the nest. A few minutes later, it was on the ground, hopping about. I made a quick mirror check of the nest and it appears the last chick is the runt of the brood.
    The runt left the nest yesterday but the poor thing didn't survive.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I could argue the deadliest large mammals in the USA (and around the world) are humans.
    Well, yes, I have to give you that.

Yesterday, I actually had to stop while driving errands as a doe and two fawns crossed the relatively busy road we were on. I don't think I got a good picture, though. I did, on the other hand, teach the kids the words "doe" and "fawn."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The backyard was very noisy. I went to see what was going on. SIX magpies fighting for territory on top of a 5x5 meter garage. That's crowed. Erm, crowded.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    The backyard was very noisy. I went to see what was going on. SIX magpies fighting for territory on top of a 5x5 meter garage. That's crowed. Erm, crowded.
    Have you found the gold yet?

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

The gold should not be taken too literally. Likely they were after my Alpine, which is parked right underneath them. Makes sense! Though there isn't much blingbling on that car right now, so they must be connaisseurs.

By the way, one of the magpies thought it wise to land 2 meters in front of a cat and turn its back to it. They are so brutal. The cat didn't bother, as it was busy with a one-hour staring contest with another cat. Yes, our garden is hot property.

I wouldn't wish to put either of our cats up against a magpie!

Magpie: white with black accents. Karate master: white robe with black belt. Coincidence? I think so.

I think the cat would win from the magpie, but also that the cat would vastly prefer to go for easier birds.

Another pigeon bites the dust in the back garden.

Name:	DSCF2575.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	387.8 KB 
ID:	26296

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Disturbing lack of plastic hamburgers. Very nice photo though!

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    Cool

Cool
    Said no pigeon ever.

Overhere they tend to go "coo-coool coo coo cooool cool".

While they're being eviscerated? I think I'd use harsher words for as long as I had words.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    This is why our cats stay strictly indoors! In addition to a variety of hawks and falcons, we have bald eagles.

The cats have a trebuchet. I'd give it the all clear.

I just had a deer on my porch, inches from my sliding glass door, looking in the house. I’ve had deer before, but never looking in the house. Very odd, having that size of an animal that close to the house.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We had more artiodactyl visitors this week.

This could have been another exciting encounter. I was on the other side of the house having a cigar in my little shelter, chatting with like-minded friends in a Zoom call.

Not my backyard, and I’m not checking as often this year, but I look at the Alaska Brooks Falls bearcam now and then. Last night one of the cameras did a pan and I counted over twenty bears. I think it was about 10 pm Pacific time, but still plenty of sun up that far in Alaska. Days earlier, I saw a wolf (bears don’t seem to tolerate them well) and a large boar (bears seemed intimidated). I tend to check these two cameras:

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-b...m-brooks-falls

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-b...rown-bears-low

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Wait -- "boar" as in pig? They have them there?
    But thanks for the reminder to check the cams!

Boar - male bear.
    Sow - female bear.
    Bearlet, oops, I mean cub - little one.

Wait -- "boar" as in pig? They have them there?
    But thanks for the reminder to check the cams!
    Looked like it to me (distant view though) and there were comments about it . . . but when I googled it I noticed a number of videos from Brooks falls where someone confused “boar” with “bear” in comments so I won’t claim I’m certain. There do seem to be wild pigs in Alaska though so who knows? Anyway, I’m certain I saw wolves.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Boar - male bear.
    Sow - female bear.
    Bearlet, oops, I mean cub - little one.
    Ah, that would explain the comments. I just thought they missed a letter.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Just so I'm clear, Van Rijn, you did think they meant a pig? i suspect even the largest of wild boars would be smaller than any adult grizzley.

I glanced out the window a few minutes ago and saw several crows on the fence around the lower yard. One of them hopped down into the yard, and was promptly chased by a rabbit. And then chased back the other way until it flew back up to the fence. Seemed odd.

I suppose I should go down this morning and see if the bunny left any of my lettuce crop. Meanwhile, the indoor Bunny is meowing at me!