Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Backyard Wildlife

I am living in a flat and see only pigeons at my 9th floor. But On river "Oise" not far from my home :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130327_175018.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	18474 Tittle : We too want some bread !

Muskrats? Nutria? Dang, I'm completely unfamiliar with European water-rodents! To the Google!

ETA: I'm going with Nutria/Coypu.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2013-Jun-02 at 02:26 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Muskrats? Nutria? Dang, I'm completely unfamiliar with European water-rodents! To the Google!

ETA: I'm going with Nutria/Coypu.
    They are muskrat . . .and they are not from Europe, they are from America, were brought here in France for their fur and escaped from farms and multiplied again and again. They are a minor nuisance in the west part of the country as they undermine the banks of canals and rivers with their galleries.Some people eat them and say they are delicious ! Sure , but no thanks !

I shared a cross walk with a Prairie Hare while crossing the street downtown the other day, the hares act perfectly at home in the middle of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by galacsi View Post
    They are muskrat . . .and they are not from Europe, they are from America, were brought here in France for their fur and escaped from farms and multiplied again and again. They are a minor nuisance in the west part of the country as they undermine the banks of canals and rivers with their galleries.Some people eat them and say they are delicious ! Sure , but no thanks !
    I had it pretty much figured out they were something non-native, I just guessed South America instead of North!

Meanwhile, I had a most lovely raven fly over this morning. Quite an impressive bird; I heard him before I saw him. We often hear them hear without seeing them at all.

ETA, 9:58 PM local time: We just had an accursed raccoon standing on its back legs looking in the screen door at our kitty. I HATE RACCOONS.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2013-Jun-03 at 05:00 AM.

Here's a twofer:

First, Frontyard wildlife. Some sort of carp, I suppose, and perhaps left in our yard by a bird. The neighborhood lake is about a block away and we've seen both bald eagles and ospreys there.

Name:	FrontYardWildlife.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	18516

Next, daylight robbery. Really blatant, I was only about 10 feet and a pane of glass away! Looked right at me and declined to even think about leaving.

Name:	daylight bandit.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	18517

I HATE RACCOONS!

Hey Mr. Raccoon, there's a lovely dead fish in the front yard!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yesterday I saw a mound of dark mulch moving in my yard. When I got closer, it turned out to be a snapping turtle. It appeared to heading down hill to the rain filled stream. So I picked it up, put it into a box and took it to the stream. This morning it is back in my neighbors front yard heading uphill.

Can you be sure it's the same turtle? Maybe give it mark next time.

Snapping turtles are one of a number of forms of wildlife I'm just as glad are not found in this area. Venomous reptiles are another.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel View Post
    Yesterday I saw a mound of dark mulch moving in my yard. When I got closer, it turned out to be a snapping turtle. It appeared to heading down hill to the rain filled stream. So I picked it up, put it into a box and took it to the stream. This morning it is back in my neighbors front yard heading uphill.
    Female snappers will leave the water to find a spot to lay their eggs, looking for nice soft, warm ground to dig a hole. And apparently, it is time, at least in Indiana; maybe its that time in PA.

Yes it had the same shell markings. By backtracking it looks it came down from the golf course where there are several ponds and lots of nearby mulch piles.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    My llama, inviting a coyote to 'move along'...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7247_10151726930865030_278157934_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	18521

Wow. Did the coyote "move along"?

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Indeed - the Canada Geese were closing in from behind, and I think that was the final straw

Not exactly in my backyard...unless one includes the Matanuska-Susitna Valley:

I had an interesting encounter on Saturday while fly fishing Canoe Lake in my float tube. I was only catching a few 8 to 10-inch rainbow trout and while reeling one in, I saw a submerged Common Loon torpedo in (they are amazingly fast and agile underwater) and grab my fish. For just a few seconds I had a much bigger fight on my hands than given by the trout. Fortunately, it wasn't hard to pull the trout from its mouth, with the fish looking none the worse for wear. The loon didn't give up easily, though. He circled me 2 or 3 times before surfacing not far away, where he kept his eye on me for another opportunity. They're shy birds that normally keep their distance but I guess this one had pegged fishermen as a possible food source.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Wow, stealing food from some poor loon....

Front yard, actually, but anyway - for the last several nights we've had increasing numbers of what look to me like barred owls screeching at each other in nearby trees. I first thought it might be a nesting pair and their territory, but now the plot thickens (or the parliament convenes). Downright spooky when half-glimpsed gliding silently from tree to tree.

Name:	Owl-18June2013.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	18523

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Nice!

Not backyard, but the first fox I ever saw in the wild in Belgium was on the Antwerp ring road (belt way for you USians) highway. Not where I's expect to see one. Especially not directly in front of my car, requiring an emergency stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Wow, stealing food from some poor loon....
    Oh, don't be so hard on the bird.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Oh, don't be so hard on the bird.
    HEY!

Oh wait...my original family name (ca. early 1700s) was "Looney" so...
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

We have a swallows nest in the second garage. First time, althougth they visited about ten years ago, but didn't nest.
    I set up a video that winter, and artificial nest cups, hoping they would come back next spring, but they never did.
    Now, the nest is nowhere near the camera!
    They fly in through the wide main door, and then through a small doorway that connects the two garages.
    I'm surprised how much they are bothered if I work in the second garage - swallows have nested in farmers' barns and outbuildings for centuries.
    And they are most distressed if the cats go in there, so I stay out and try to direct the cats elsewhere.
    We've had bats in the house (pipistrelles). The swallows are just as agile in flight and much, much faster!

There was a racing pigeon in the garden last week. It could barely fly and felt thin, with wasted flight muscles, so took it in and contacted the owner, but he was too far away to collect it.
    As it was at risk from said cats, I took it to a local wood, near water and left it with some food. To honest, I expected a fox to get it.
    But this weekend it's back again, looking fit and well!
    I suppose the homing instinct that would have taken it back to it's home loft is gone, and we are adopted!
    John
    Last edited by JohnD; 2013-Jun-20 at 09:12 PM.

I think you are just the new home loft!

We apparently have a family of black-capped chickadees as neighbors...three young'ns and their proud parents. I first saw them hanging around the bird feeder a few days ago and noticed the newly-fledged juveniles' stubby tail and wing feathers and their not-yet confident flying skills. I found one of them sitting on the deck railing and it let me approach quite closely before flying off. I wasn't able to take a family portrait but one of them agreed to a sitting:

That's gorgeous! We've put the bird feeders back up and I've been having lovely goldfinches (and a few other birds) in front of me all day, about eight feet and a pane of glass away. And no raccoons, thank goodness.

Great picture Peterscreek. I think it funny when birds get all fluffed up like that, they look like spheres with wings.

You have to admire those little birds. They don't migrate south from here when winter arrives - staying around when it's -40.

In the autumn we see great flocks of them. If I spot one when I'm working in the woods, I'll stop and make a "Pshhhh, Pshhhh, Pshhhh" sound, and within minutes there will be dozens of them drawn to the sound, flitting around, and some will come within a few feet of me.

My grandfather could call them "Chick-a-dee-dee-dee" and get them to come eat out of his hand. A fond childhood memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My grandfather could call them "Chick-a-dee-dee-dee" and get them to come eat out of his hand. A fond childhood memory!
    Chickadees are bold little birds. They routinely fly up to or around the feeder when I'm filling it - it is funny to see them fluttering a foot away like they are thinking "hurry up, we're hungry". It is fairly easy to get them to take a seed out of your hand (but they won't eat it in your hand). You also won't see them eat in the feeder (which the finches do a lot). They will fly in, take a seed, land nearby and eat it (or stash it away some place), fly back and get another seed, and repeat.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    hey this is the place to ask. Last two mornings we were awakened at dawn, about 4.30 by two rooks pecking at the glass and making a lot of noise. Then we found large droppings on the stones outside the window, large, about 1 inch diameter and 1.5 inch long and apparently made of wood chips four items. What was this, owl? Could an owl have decided to poop on our back step and upset the rooks? Twice~? We have open country, farmland and woods nearby.