Thread: Jets from Massive Things

Jets from Massive Things

Hi,
    I'm a dedicated listener to the podcast. I did the search of the archives to see if a question I have has been answered in the past...and I debated asking it since it probably is one of those, "Gee, can you believe someone with a forebrain is actually asking such a stupid question"-question.

But...I gotta ask...

How do jets of material shoot up from the poles of black holes. Why at the poles? Why 90 degrees to the accretion disc?

Welcome to BAUT Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Adgeless View Post
    How do jets of material shoot up from the poles of black holes. Why at the poles? Why 90 degrees to the accretion disc?
    Wikipedia: Relativistic jet

It is believed that the twisting of magnetic fields in the accretion disk collimates the outflow along the rotation axis of the central object, so that when conditions are suitable, a jet will emerge from each face of the accretion disk. [...] Popular mechanisms for the creation of jets and the composition of jets are still a matter of much debate in the scientific community.
    Wikipedia: Polar jet

While it is still mostly a mystery to physicists how polar jets are formed and powered, the two most often proposed origins of this power are the central object (such as a black hole), and the accretion disk.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Hi Adgeless and welcome. Your question is soooo un-stupid, the links provided by The Binary Wonder above should give you a start on a career in Very Hard Maths if you choose. I hope you post here when you have some answers

Quote Originally Posted by Adgeless View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a dedicated listener to the podcast. I did the search of the archives to see if a question I have has been answered in the past...and I debated asking it since it probably is one of those, "Gee, can you believe someone with a forebrain is actually asking such a stupid question"-question.

But...I gotta ask...

Interestingly enough, I have been watching a saved webcast of a UC Berkeley astronomy class taught by Alex Filippenko. Unfortunately, it's a Real video format, but you can download the free Real video player.

Anyway, the 11/1 and 11/3 lectures covered the issue of radiating jets from black holes and neutron stars.

There's a cool animation near the middle of this one:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/stream.p...ebcastid=15843

And he also talks about it here, around at 5 minutes:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/stream.p...ebcastid=15844

The entire semester's lecture is here:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_d...sid=1906978334

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robross View Post
    Unfortunately, it's a Real video format, but you can download the free Real video player.
    (or try the free Videolan VLC media player if you don't like Realplayer)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice