Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Pie!

Never!!

Hmmm ... pie

Let them eat pie!

Coming soon.

Cake!

Just time to hear Clive Vedmore say.... Pie!

You need to explain that!

Must be an early fall forming...the local French bakery came out with their first pumpkin pie of the season today!

Clive Vedmore? Something fishy is afoot.

Thumbs up

Today my life changed when I saw this...

I like that picture!

Mm... and I just bought a slice of pumpkin - however I think I'm gonna make soup, not pie!
    ...maybe some other day.

It is all starting to come together ...

All hail pumpkin soup! I don't actually remember if I've had pumpkin pie. Sounds nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    All hail pumpkin soup! I don't actually remember if I've had pumpkin pie. Sounds nice though.
    I made one from scratch last year because I was curious what all the fuss was about.
    Turns out noone makes pumpkin pies from scratch any more. But it was good! Would have been even better if I could actually get fully ripe pumpkins here in Sweden.

The taste is really good, as it should be since it's full of cloves, cardamom and other spices. I'm not sure about the texture though - it's a bit too smooth for me.

Perfect!

---American-style includes dollops of whipped cream on top, or piped along the perimeter...

Quote Originally Posted by jokergirl View Post
    The taste is really good, as it should be since it's full of cloves, cardamom and other spices. I'm not sure about the texture though - it's a bit too smooth for me.
    Nice one jokergirl!....

...and just to be different...to the diced pumpkin...along with jg's delish combination, if you add some turmeric (enhances the yellow too) and cumin and a dash of cinnamon (or a finger-length bark) and ginger and slivers of garlic and a pinch of tasteful chillies, with some finely chopped red onion....
    ...now, where's that chopping board....

Quote Originally Posted by mahesh View Post
    Nice one jokergirl!....

...and just to be different...to the diced pumpkin...along with jg's delish combination, if you add some turmeric (enhances the yellow too) and cumin and a dash of cinnamon (or a finger-length bark) and ginger and slivers of garlic and a pinch of tasteful chillies, with some finely chopped red onion....
    ...now, where's that chopping board....
    Garlic and chilies and onion, and more savoury than sweet... now that sounds delicious... arghhhhh *Homer style drool*
    Now I'm hungry again, and I just had my lunchbox!

(I followed this recipe by the way, but made my own crust)

jokergirl makes me hungry!!!

OK that sounded wrong. The pie pictures make me hungry!

Pie chat is ON, at least for the next 15 minutes or so.

Meme of the day, dinosaurs.

Dagnabbit! How did I miss all the fun? Oh, sleep. I need to start working night-shift so I can post through the wee hours.

But that pie looks darn nice. If t's too smooth, I'm not much of a chef, but is there something you could cook into it to add some rough texture - I don't know, spinachy type stuff for something to chew on? That's probably a terrible idea. Just woke up - brian not firing on all cylinders yet.
    Last edited by Spoons; 2009-Sep-09 at 10:33 PM. Reason: pie theory comment

Well, that was a sweet pumpkin pie so spinach doesn't sound like an option. Been pondering not pureeing the pumpkin but instead just crushing it with a fork, or adding some shredded carrot.

Tonight I'm pondering salmon quiche, with some nice sharp cheese and possibly some spinach or broccoli.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking that spinach itself would likely blend well with the pumpkin, but something along those lines. Dunno, I'm not really much of an avant-garde cook. Not much of a cook at all really. Except roasts. Mmmmmmm... roast.

You could maybe roast the pumpkin for a little bit then just smush it into the pie shape I guess, retain some of the fibre for texture. Mind you, with the carrot idea it seems you've got enough ideas without my random thoughts.

Why do you taunt me with your lovely cooking ideas? Curse this budget meal of vodka & polony sandwich!

Add some thinly sliced nuts.

...Tonight I'm pondering salmon quiche, with some nice sharp cheese and possibly some spinach or broccoli.
    Spinach w/Monterey Jack cheese (though a mild, white cheese) gets my vote!

Wasn't Monterey Jack a star from the old westerns?

Can't get Monterey Jack over here, but I'm thinking a slice of the nice, ripe Präst that we have in the fridge (it's getting a bit too thin for making slices with, so it should be perfect for grating/food processor!). Possibly cut it with a cheap Gouda.

And a nice wholewheat crust... yum.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    Wasn't Monterey Jack a star from the old westerns?
    Nope---just another California businessman...from Scotland!

I'll post a picture of the actual pie when I get home... :P here's some slices anyway.

...Tonight I'm pondering salmon quiche...I'll post a picture of the actual pie when I get home...
    Hmmh---looks suspiciously like apple to me...

New day, new pie! (the pictures of the salmon pie didn't come out as well, so I thought I'd move on.)