Thread: < 1 minute naps but very detailed dreams?

< 1 minute naps but very detailed dreams?

Sometimes I'll be talking to my wife while we're laying in bed and I'm listening to her talk...and I fall asleep. She doesn't even know that I was asleep, she just finished talking and then I wake up and ask her how long I was sleeping and she says that it couldn't have been more than X number of seconds. Usually between 20 and 60 seconds.

I work weird hours and am pretty sleep deprived, so that I fall asleep like that isn't so strange. What is strange is that I'll be dreaming during these sub minute naps. Not just vague dreams either. I can remember everything about it, colors, locations and at times very great detail.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I don't mind it, it's just strange, I've never really looked into it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntour View Post
    . . . I'm listening to her talk...and I fall asleep.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
    All the time.

Hypnogogic nap? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnogogic

Yep. I dream a lot anyway, so when I'm sleep deprived, restless, or just not comfortable enough to fall asleep I get those. Sometimes when it's like that, it gets hard to tell what's real and what I just dreamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim View Post
    All the time.

Thanks for the link Tim!

Plenty of times--hours of dreams can fit into minutes of real time. Reason being, I believe, you don't dream the hours in detail then forget all but the most pertinent details the way you experience daily life. You only dream the imagery which you remember, pretty much.

Once I dreamed that I was talking with the Mythbusters...

i've had dreams where i lived an entire day- right down to the smallest little details- and then wake up and realize it's only been 5 minutes. it's a really disconcerting sensation when you wake up and look at the clock.
    like in the movie "Contact" when Jodie Foster spent 18 hours with the Daddy alien on the other side of the galaxy in a fraction of a second....
    this generally happens when i can't fall asleep for whatever reason- you know, when you keep looking at the clock expecting hours to have passed since the last time you looked, but it was only a few minutes.

All the time.

Yeah, from that link under the heading Sleep Paralysis, here's an interesting quote to show people who believe alien abduction stories:

The paralysis itself is frequently accompanied by additional phenomena. Typical examples include a feeling of being crushed or suffocated, electric ‘tingles’ or ‘vibrations’, imagined speech and other noises, the imagined presence of a visible or invisible entity, and sometimes intense emotion: fear or euphoria and orgasmic feelings.[34][35] SP has been proposed as an explanation for at least some alien abduction experiences and shadow people hauntings.
    There are a number of links from within that quote on the original page.

Mike
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    i've had dreams where i lived an entire day- right down to the smallest little details- and then wake up and realize it's only been 5 minutes. it's a really disconcerting sensation when you wake up and look at the clock.
    like in the movie "Contact" when Jodie Foster spent 18 hours with the Daddy alien on the other side of the galaxy in a fraction of a second....
    this generally happens when i can't fall asleep for whatever reason- you know, when you keep looking at the clock expecting hours to have passed since the last time you looked, but it was only a few minutes.
    Or the STTNG episode The Inner Light, one of my favorites.

Or the STTNG episode The Inner Light, one of my favorites.
    yeah, but without the flute.

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    yeah, but without the flute.
    Ha Ha. You're right! I forgot about that. And then Picard plays it in every other episode after that. Bummer.

ETA: I guess it could have been worse. Picard might have learned the tuba or bagpipes.
    Last edited by Tucson_Tim; 2009-Jun-20 at 03:35 AM.