Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yay! My paragragh structures are better today!

Yay! My paragragh structures are better today!

I may start posting regularly again!

I had a small stroke on election day, then a more obvious one in December. Both were self-limiting bleeds. I'm still not trashed marbles-wise yet, but I was having issues even though I'm doing good facially and symetrically. Don't need the drool cup or Depends just yet, (Yay!) I *was* talking like Ozzie for a week or two but that got better. (more Yay!)

But I am having the hands version of "foot drop". So when I go to smooth back my hair I either A: knock off my glasses or B: stick my thumb in my eye. Oh the oddest thing is when you go to drink something and pour it a half an inch short of your lips.

It's like I'm forgetting what shape I am. It's all very Dr. Strangelove-esque to me. I'm also worried I'm running out of spare brain tissue to have these strokes in AND they found a medium sized aneurism in a difficult get at location! (Boy, do I take my blood pressure meds!)

Oh, and my prespectives have changed from previous postings, I might add. Either through brain damage or new realisations, I can't tell the difference anymore so I stopped trying.

And I hate to say this but I may not be able to put off going on social security for very much longer.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

But I am having the hands version of "foot drop". So when I go to smooth back my hair I either A: knock off my glasses or B: stick my thumb in my eye. Oh the oddest thing is when you go to drink something and pour it a half an inch short of your lips.
    That sounds really annoying, BigDon. Feel better soon.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Best wishes to you and your health! Hope to see you around here more often.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    And I hate to say this but I may not be able to put off going on social security for very much longer.
    Best wishes, obviously.

Much respect for delaying social security as long as you could. Self reliance and work ethic and all that.

But, curious what "social security"*1 means. The impression I have, from way back here (based on T.V. and such), is that the U.S. is where one ends up in a cardboard box*2 because there's no welfare state, as such.

The "VA" is "veterans administration", isn't it? Can they (do they) help?

*1 I've heard of it (you all have "social security numbers" or something, don't you?). Just not sure what it gives/gets you - or for how long.

*2 Hyperbole alert. No offence to anyone intended.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

If I was in your neighborhood, I'd have to sneak in to rearrange everything on your desk by 6 inches to the NNW...just to keep you on your toes. Keep the Yays coming, BigDon!
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Wink

Nice to see ya posting again BD, I enjoy reading them so keep em coming!

I have the up most respect for your determination and guts. Get well soon!

Yeah. You sound like you're making the most of it, though - that's good news.

Keep the spirits up, but it sounds like you're pretty thankful things are as good as they are.

Yay ! Keep it up BD. Get well Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Best wishes, obviously.

Much respect for delaying social security as long as you could. Self reliance and work ethic and all that.

But, curious what "social security"*1 means. The impression I have, from way back here (based on T.V. and such), is that the U.S. is where one ends up in a cardboard box*2 because there's no welfare state, as such.

The "VA" is "veterans administration", isn't it? Can they (do they) help?

*1 I've heard of it (you all have "social security numbers" or something, don't you?). Just not sure what it gives/gets you - or for how long.

*2 Hyperbole alert. No offence to anyone intended.
    Thank you. I was raised by a proud mother who wouldn't go on the dole when she was divorced with four little ones. Annoyed granddad something fierce that she wouldn't move back home to Oregon too. Also makes it hard to ask for help even when I need to. (Though oddly enough I never had a problem asking directions...)

In San Francisco all the perenial bums are either junkies or mad. They aren't the beggars of an Arabian Nights stories. Then you have the runaways and wastrels. This isn't Singapore, where I once was driven around by an 82 year old chinese pedalcab driver who only had two family members, a granddaughter and her daughter. He had to work or they would lose all.

We were a bit incredulous at his age but he showed us his I.D. He got a big tip. As we had just come off a 3.5 month at sea period we were flush with cash, each packing about 6 grand, US. I recall we gave him enough to take a month off. Whether he actually did or not I couldn't tell you.

And yes, the VA is helping me. Would have helped sooner had I asked sooner. That's on me.

Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    Keep the spirits up, but it sounds like you're pretty thankful things are as good as they are.

My father's first stroke paralysed him on the right side for two years and permenately ruined his ability to speak even though he was "still home". Hell yeah, I'm thankful things are as good as they are, ol' friend.

Can't hurt to get a jump on things, BD; Social Security Disability approval can take awhile (~3 months, minimal), and you'll get a retroactive check tied to your application date as the monthly checks (calculated on what you've paid into the system over the years) begin...plus you'll automatically have Medicare benefits that may widen your medical options. The general criteria for approval is "something that will last longer than a year", along with documentation/medical records.
    Hurry before they give ALL the money away!

What You Can Do Online

BD it sounds pretty entertaining to be around you, atm. What are the chances of your coordination improving? If it can, I hope it's soon, if not, I hope you get used to it enough that it's a new subject for your stories. Over-all, I hope for the best possible recovery.

Ah Jeez. Just saw this thread. You do what the doc says and also what your doc has told your family to tell you. OK?

Oh yeah, and my oldest daughter eloped. Found out Thursday last.

I now seem to have a Japanese son-in-law somewhere. Met him all of twice. A soldier in the 82nd. Got to go memorize the dialogue from "Gran Torino" now.

I guess the only thing with that is you have to accept it. And who knows, they may have a truly wonderful life together. You have to give them a chance.

Congrats, I hope, on the new son-in-law BD.

And, by the way, your paragraph structure is lovely today. More seriously, your writing is great as usual, I'm glad the fingers on the keyboard still work so well.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Congrats, I hope, on the new son-in-law BD.

And, by the way, your paragraph structure is lovely today. More seriously, your writing is great as usual, I'm glad the fingers on the keyboard still work so well.
    I type as well as ever because I don't know how to type!

No seriously. Formal typing brings on horrible carpal tunnel syndrome in me due to being a wieght lifter since high school. Gave me big tendons. So I learned to "type" with just my middle fingers and thumbs. Average about 40 words a minute doing it wrong.

No seriously. Formal typing brings on horrible carpal tunnel syndrome in me due to being a wieght lifter since high school. Gave me big tendons. So I learned to "type" with just my middle fingers and thumbs. Average about 40 words a minute doing it wrong.
    Weird, I always assumed you had all middle fingers and thumbs.

..no, that wasn't really suppose to make sense, but it's late and I'm tired. Brain checked out a few hours ago. Anyway, good to see you posting more regularly again BD.

I now seem to have a Japanese son-in-law somewhere. Met him all of twice. A soldier in the 82nd. Got to go memorize the dialogue from "Gran Torino" now.
    Jap son -in - law can teach some Japanese Diet, those are healthy, and just as Tucson Tim said. Follow what your Doc wants you to do . You're not getting any younger .

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Social Security and welfare are different. Every (on the books) worker in the US pays into the Social Security system. In theory, this is supposed to provide you with an income you can survive on when you're over 65. (How well that works in practice varies, of course.) However, the Social Security Administration also handles the disability system, as I know quite well at this point. Getting through the process isn't fun, easy, or fast--it took me three years--but it's true that they do pay you back for all the time you spent waiting.

The problem, I think, and the reason there are so many mentally ill people in those boxes (not necessarily an exaggeration, I'm afraid), is that the health care system simply isn't equipped to handle them, and disability does not always provide enough to live on. (I couldn't live alone on it, certainly.) Further, Medicare doesn't cover mental health problems, according to what I was told. Think about that a minute. I, for one, was approved for disability on the basis, primarily, of my mental illness, but I have to go through the state of Washington to get my therapy and my meds.

Incidentally, the criteria for being eligible for disability varies by case, but in my case, I was approved because I was not seen as being able to hold a job for six months.

A Social Security number is the number that puts you in the Social Security system. The number is kind of an unofficial ID number; you need it to do quite a lot of things in the US. The card wasn't supposed to be used as an ID card, but it is now. You put the number on your taxes, too.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Thank you Miss Gillian, a much better answer than mine.

Swift, as far as the son in law issue...

I'm not angry. The man did come out and formally ask me for my daughters hand in marraige. I said no intitial only because I wanted him to settle in to his new base, check out Army life, and not be so young when he came back to ask again.

I had no other objections really other than not knowing who the hell he was and not particularly wanting my daughter to be an Army wife during a shooting war. But it's out of my hands now. I tell you what I won't do though, I won't let my personal pride turn this situation hostile.

I have been hearing what I consider positive things about him from folks who don't know why I was asking. Seems he is one of those young men who take things seriously dispite his youth. I only saw a bit of that but presumed it was nervousness.

Oh and I've just been informed my two favorite uncles have passed away, within days of each other. My Uncle Don and my Uncle Dick. Both WWII combat Marines, Pacific Theatre. I told some of their stories here.

Okay, all the other crap the last two months has made me worried, scared, and concerned but now I'm officially sad.

Well this is encouraging news them BigDon.
    Sorry to hear about your late uncles.
    I've lost a few uncles also, its one of those things that stick with you for life. I sometimes have these dreams about one particular favourate uncle of mine, in them it is like the death was not real and he is still around.

Here, hope this helps too

Ohayogozaimasu – Good morning
    Konnichiwa – Hello
    Kombanwa – Good evening
    Sayonara – Goodbye
    ****surei Shimasu – Goodbye (formal)
    Oyasumi nasai – Goodnight
    Dewa mata/ Ja mata – Well then…(parting from friend or relative)
    Itte rasshai – So Long (go and come back)
    Itte Mairimasu – so long (I’m going and coming back)
    Tadaima – I’m back
    Okaeri nasai Welcome Home
    O-genki desu ka – How are you
    Arigato gozaimasu – Fine thank you
    Omedeto gozaimasu – congradulations
    Somo arigato gozaimasu – thank you very much
    Do itashima****e- You’re Welcome
    O daijini – take care of yourself
    Sumimasen – excuse me
    Chotto matte kadasai – Wait just a moment
    Moichido onegaishimasu – Once more please
    Osakini – pardon my going before you
    Dozo osakini – please go ahead
    Ki o tsukete – take care/be careful
    Abunai – look out
    Dame desu – out of the question/impossible Gambatte kudasai – keep your chin up

Oh and I've just been informed my two favorite uncles have passed away, within days of each other. My Uncle Don and my Uncle Dick. Both WWII combat Marines, Pacific Theatre. I told some of their stories here.

Okay, all the other crap the last two months has made me worried, scared, and concerned but now I'm officially sad.
    I am sorry about your loss, that is always difficult. As for all the other crap, all I can say is; gambatte kudasai

Sorry about the uncles BD. That generation is leaving us, I'm glad they will live on in the stories you have told.

Beautifully ironic, isn't it, that their grand-niece, your daughter, is marrying a Japanese-American who is in our armed forces. The world sure is a wonderfully strange place.

I hope you are feeling better,
    while i haven't had a stroke (yet)
    I do get micro seizures about once a month or so and it affects my vision and apparently my personality, so i know how sucky it can be to have your noggin go all loopy.
    Cheers!

Don, it's good to have you back. I hope you continue to improve every day.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Originally Posted by BigDon

Ever see a 360 gallon glass tank? Even empty you need a LOT of big guys, like about eight, to pick one up and move it safely.
    I asked this over in another thread but it got buried. Besides, it's more on-topic here . . .

Just curious, what are the dimensions of a 360 gallon fish tank?

Well, 360 gallons is just over 48 cubic feet, so something like 2 feet deep, 3 feet high and 8 feet long would work. That would be a big tank.

And 360 gallons of water is over 3000 pounds (1363 kg). Better have a strong floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Well, 360 gallons is just over 48 cubic feet, so something like 2 feet deep, 3 feet high and 8 feet long would work. That would be a big tank.
    I was just going to say "Twelve times bigger than my 30 gal. tank"