Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in DIY

I love this thread. Because, I suppose, I can't do anything in it. I do a low level of carpentry. "Woodworking" is right out. So I enjoy seeing what those more skilled and patient than I can produce.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Husband recently tiled our kitchen. He hasn't done much tiling ever, and this was an entirely solo project. He used a wet saw, everything. It turned out NICE. For a mildly disabled man with a semi-crippled left hand, let's just say I'm especially proud of him!
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I find the biscuit joiner invaluable. I use mine a lot.

Nice headboard, Torsten. Simple yet interesting design.
    Thanks geonuc. My aesthetic sense favours simplicity, and in some way that is what gave me the initial confidence to start this project. I fear getting very deep into a project and then destroying it in some way. For example, though it doesn't show well in the photos, there is a 1/2" groove routed into the panel running 1.5 inches parallel to the bow, and short 1/4" coves on both sides of the uprights. To make the groove I had to fashion a guide to fit the bottom of my router, because it has a 6" diameter base and I couldn't get close enough to the bow otherwise. I was afraid that I would somehow slip and put a big gouge across the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I love this thread. Because, I suppose, I can't do anything in it. I do a low level of carpentry. "Woodworking" is right out. So I enjoy seeing what those more skilled and patient than I can produce.
    I really look forward to updates in this thread too. It's inspired me to start building furniture again, and with some trepidation, to post pictures. I have a short but fairly wide hallway that would look more "civilized" with a small table against one wall. It never occurred to me that a bow table would fit it perfectly until I saw how Brett built one some time ago. I had been thinking along the lines of a half round table, maybe because I built one a few years ago, or a boring rectangle, both of which would have been really wrong for that space. So I may be copying that general design at some point too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Husband recently tiled our kitchen. He hasn't done much tiling ever, and this was an entirely solo project. He used a wet saw, everything. It turned out NICE. For a mildly disabled man with a semi-crippled left hand, let's just say I'm especially proud of him!
    Having tiled a couple of bathrooms and laid the sidewalk bricks in front of my home, I know how backbreaking that work can be. Pics?

So, I glued up a panel from the short 1x3 stock that will be cut into top surfaces of the night tables. I sat on the floor by the fireplace in my office looking at this panel, appreciating the clear grain of the pine, and trying to decide on how it should be cut. How deep? How long? Rounded corners? Routed bead or cove? Shelf or drawer, or neither? An idea finally came to me:

It'll have a drawer. The amount of bow across the front will be less than I've sketched, and the length of the surface relative to width will likely be a bit higher. The idea is to take the bow concept of the headboard and continue it in another plane on the side. But it will take a while to complete, as I have to buy some more stock and let it season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Night_Table_concept_(small).jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	22507  
    Last edited by Torsten; 2017-Aug-10 at 12:53 AM. Reason: fixed image host

That's a really interesting idea for a nightstand. If you don't mind my saying so, I do have a concern with it as drawn, though. If the cross member that the table/drawer component is attached to is as straight and narrow as it looks, I think it might experience a bit too much torsion stress, especially as I picture someone putting a hand on it while getting in/out of bed. Perhaps if it tapered from the visible end to perhaps twice that width where it meets the headboard...

And about the bow front hall table: I believe I still have the SketchUp file, if you're interested in dissecting it.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I appreciate the comment. The proportions really aren't right in my sketch. Maybe it's time to get SketchUp. That torsion stress has been my main structural concern with the design while trying to keep it "light". I'm planning to use a 1x8, so actually about 7" wide. The cross member will probably be full width over the entire length with more of it projecting below the drawer than above the table top, but the amounts I settle on will be decided when I piece it together and see what it looks like. The drawer will be ~ 4 1/2" deep, which should provide sufficient internal support to resist the rotational force that would twist it off the cross member if someone pushed down on it. I'll probably use long screws from the back as well as glue.

The board I bought for this is too twisted to be of any use. I'm hoping that whatever I eventually use is straight enough that I don't have to shim it where it meets the upright in order to ensure the table surfaces are level.

I think this is the first time I have ever built something where I didn't have every bit of the design firmly figured out before I started.

Hey, I'll take you up on the offer of the SketchUp file for that table, thank you!

Adventures in DIY

A couple of Christmas gifts: cheese boards. I finished shaping and sanding them today and got the first coat of oil on them.

Made out of cutoffs from previous projects: black cherry, walnut, curly maple, and padauk.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Very nice. Good combination of different woods.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    A couple of Christmas gifts: cheese boards. I finished shaping and sanding them today and got the first coat of oil on them.

Made out of cutoffs from previous projects: black cherry, walnut curly maple, and padauk.
    Very pretty! A couple of questions:
    1. Do you need to do something different for oil on something that's going to be in contact with food?
    2. Did you consider including some sort of handle?

Adventures in DIY

While making the rounded board, it did occur to me that making it look like a shortened canoe paddle would be whimsical but I didn't plan handles for either board.

My finishing schedule is definitely food safe. The first coat shown is flax oil like you would find in a health food store. The final coat(s) will be a commercial mixture of food grade mineral oil and natural waxes.

Wow, I love the contrasts between the different species.

The world of wood really is a special place.

(Image removed for bandwidth ~~Solfe.)

Made out of cutoffs from previous projects: black cherry, walnut curly maple, and padauk.
    I love these. I wish I had the talent to do something like this.
    Solfe

My first time posting on this thread.
    January will be my indoors project month. Will be remodeling the upstairs bathroom from a tub to a shower room. It's a tiny bathroom, just 5'x7' (in a 115 year old farm house). Got a smaller sink for it and removing a 30"x60" tub enclosure to replace with a 32"x40" shower enclosure and a smallish closet on the side for needed storage. A few years ago I built (with 2 friends professional help) an addition to the house (laundry room/mini canning kitchen/jacuzzi tub/shower, toilet, a full bath), so hopefully my learned skills will work well for me on this single handed project. I project 4 weeks to complete, that includes any unexpected "what the?" days..

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    ... I project 4 weeks to complete, that includes any unexpected "what the?" days..
    I really underestimate these. Sometimes they add up to weeks... May your project proceed smoothly.

Thanks Torsten, I try to base my estimated project time lines on "Scotty Time", get the job completed a weeeee bit early so that my wife thinks I'm a miracle worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    My first time posting on this thread.
    January will be my indoors project month. Will be remodeling the upstairs bathroom from a tub to a shower room. It's a tiny bathroom, just 5'x7' (in a 115 year old farm house). Got a smaller sink for it and removing a 30"x60" tub enclosure to replace with a 32"x40" shower enclosure and a smallish closet on the side for needed storage. A few years ago I built (with 2 friends professional help) an addition to the house (laundry room/mini canning kitchen/jacuzzi tub/shower, toilet, a full bath), so hopefully my learned skills will work well for me on this single handed project. I project 4 weeks to complete, that includes any unexpected "what the?" days..
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I really underestimate these. Sometimes they add up to weeks... May your project proceed smoothly.
    The first rule of projects: The first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time. The last 10% of the project takes the other 90% of the time.

I downloaded and installed SketchUp shortly after mentioning it upthread, and explored how different amounts of arc would look on that nightstand idea. I've been distracted by other issues since then, and still not really motivated to continue with the project, but here is a better presentation if the idea. SketchUp is really easy to use!

Bow is a circular arc, shown with a 2 inch vs 3 inch drop:

Edges to be slightly eased, and more so on the corners.

Name:	Night Stand 2 inch bow 400.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	22505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Night Stand 3 inch bow 400.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	22506  
    Last edited by Torsten; 2017-Aug-10 at 12:48 AM. Reason: fixed image host

Looks good! I think I like the larger arc a bit better, but that's just me. Perhaps harder to build.

I really need to try sketchup.

Finally did some more work on the night tables. Sanded the panel for the tops some more, chopped it into two pieces, and cut/smoothed the bowed fronts. Enough for today...

I went with the 2" arc over the length, which works out to a radius of ~28.5".

Name:	zIMG_9585.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	22504  
    Last edited by Torsten; 2017-Aug-10 at 12:37 AM. Reason: previous image host not working, fixed

Looking good. I'm working my way through the Sketchup tutorials, on to number 4 today. Need to start just playing around with it. I've got a whole new house in my head that needs to get documented. I just wish the older laptop supported Sketchup's video requirements.

Update on my Jan project, didn't quite complete the shower/bathroom conversion yet, but another 10 days should do it except for the trim work. No big "what the..,!?" moments" yet. I highly recommend dry fitting every step of the way.

Here's a long overdue update on the keepsake box: I've completed assembly, final milling, and sanding of the top. The first photo doesn't really show off the figure in the maple but some of it is obvious in the second...

Because the maple panel in the lid is free-floating to allow for wood movement, I finished the panel and partially finish the padauk frame before gluing it together. Otherwise, if the panel were to shrink, it would reveal unfinished wood. I think what I fussed over most was the handle, especially the stanchion. It's very short and has even shorter tenons top and bottom that fit into 3/16-inch wide mortises in the panel and handle. The trick was to start with a longer piece of wood and do all the milling I could while it was large enough to safely handle. The final cut on a cross cut sled freed the part from the larger work piece. This was all over the last three weeks or so, puttering here and there.

Today, I got to break in the new router table and made a right proper mess of it. I used a large panel raising bit to give the lid frame a shallow bevel. (Note for Torsten: same bit I used to bevel the underside of the hall table) I did this in a few passes, making a lot of fine shavings and dust that really schmutzed up the table...so it's not brand spanking new any more. The router bit didn't agree with some reversing grain in the lid frame, so I had to clean up some rough spots on the bevels with a hand plane. I also used some planes to tweak the underside, sanded all unfinished surfaces to 320 grit, and wiped on a coat of boiled linseed oil. After the oil dries, I'll start wiping on the varnish.

Finally finished and with better photos:

I'll probably let the finish breathe for another week before boxing it up for shipment.

(Note for Torsten: same bit I used to bevel the underside of the hall table)
    Aha. I won't be getting around to that for some time. I'm up to my eyeballs in other things. Beyond buying some really smooth-operating ball bearing drawer slides, I have yet to make any progress on the current project since my last post in this thread. The panels are leaning against a wall unit in my office, and seem to be staring at me as if I'm a traitor.

Finally finished and with better photos:...
    Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Aha. I won't be getting around to that for some time. I'm up to my eyeballs in other things. Beyond buying some really smooth-operating ball bearing drawer slides, I have yet to make any progress on the current project since my last post in this thread. The panels are leaning against a wall unit in my office, and seem to be staring at me as if I'm a traitor.
    I was going to ask for an update on your project. I know how it feels to have a project nagging at you and being too busy to do anything about it.

Finally finished and with better photos:

I'll probably let the finish breathe for another week before boxing it up for shipment.
    That's lovely. The figured light-colored wood is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's lovely. The figured light-colored wood is gorgeous.
    That's curly (or tiger) maple and I was pleased with it, too. My wood monger gets it infrequently and unpredictably so I considered it a modest score.

Something else I accomplished today was to upgrade my new router table. I had installed the old router in order to finish the box lid before the new goodies arrived this week. They included a 3¼ HP router motor and a lift mechanism from another fine Canadian tool manufacturer. I like my Canadian neighbors. Nice people. Cool stuff.

This thing is ssssssslick and I was tool-geeking over it just a little. Bit changes and height adjustments are now above the table. Insert a crank-handled hex wrench and each turn raises/lowers the bit 1/16th inch. Butter smooth. The only reason to reach under the table now is to adjust the router speed.

I finally finished my bathroom renovation project, though 2 weeks behind schedule. New flooring, new toilet, new sink, fresh paint, and a new shower stall which replaced an old tub. Since the shower stall is 20" shorter than the old tub it allowed me to put in a small closet for plumbing access and some storage. Ran into only 2 "What the ....?' situations. The shower base required a mortar underlayment which was something new to me, but it did turn out ok, it's a one shot deal so had to get it right. The other one was finding out that one corner of the shower enclosure overlapped the wall heating/cooling vent by 2", ugh, so had to move the vent up higher. Luckily the vent came down from the attic so it was relatively easy to move it up the wall a bit. Glad this is behind me now, gardening season is knocking at the door...

Hey, that's only 50% longer than originally estimated. Do you still qualify as a miracle worker in your wife's opinion?

Lucky that the vent was easily moved. I renovated one bathroom that had its original shower stall partially obscuring the window. I moved a wall so that the new stall wouldn't do that. My GF would have been okay with the new one installed as before, but I couldn't stand the idea of my name attached to such an ugly installation.

Schedule?

<Captain Jack Sparrow>

It's more what you would call guidelines than an actual schedule.

</Captain Jack Sparrow>

Thanks for the chuckles Torsten & PetersCreek, over the years my wife has adjusted to my less than accurate timeline estimations....though I think that she thinks that me just completing a project successfully is a miracle at times.....me too ;-).