Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The name of a book/story, please

Someone else asked this on another forum...

Does anyone know the title and author of a book where the premise is a space traveler crashes his craft on a planet (may even be earth pre human evolution) and is marooned. He can't repair the craft to take off but he needs replacement parts or something. But the traveler lives for thousands of years, long enough for inhabitants to evolve and develop the parts needed to repair and get off the planet. Does that sound familiar ?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Oh. Oh. I know this one. Actually, I think I know two, but they're short stories. One's by Stephen Baxter and one's by Alastair Reynolds. I'll dig out titles when I have a moment later.

Edit: The one I was thinking of is "The Spacetime Pit" by Stephen Baxter and Eric Brown. The astronaut uses hibernation technology and wakes intermittently to guide the development of an alien civilization in the direction required to repair her spacecraft. Then things get strange.
    The other one turns out to be only slightly related, one of Reynold's "Merlin" stories, "Minla's Flowers" (a novella of which I seem to own three copies). His protagonist again attempts to guide civilization while extending his lifespan with hibernation technology, but it's to help them develop space flight in order to evacuate their own world.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Apr-27 at 10:47 PM.

Another possibility is "Does a Bee Care" by Isaac Asimov. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Does_a_Bee_Care%3F for details.
    "It's not the things we don't know that hurt us, It's the things we do know that aren't so.” --Artemus Ward

“It never ceases to amaze me how utterly unintelligent a person can be and still believe they are somehow accomplishing something.” --Interdimensional Warrior

Does anyone know the title and author of a book where the premise is a space traveler crashes his craft on a planet (may even be earth pre human evolution) and is marooned. He can't repair the craft to take off but he needs replacement parts or something. But the traveler lives for thousands of years, long enough for inhabitants to evolve and develop the parts needed to repair and get off the planet. Does that sound familiar ?
    What you describe is (almost but not exactly) part of the story of "Mutineers Moon" David Weber. It might be freely available in the Baen Free Library.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I remember one short story where the ship full of near-immortal travelers crashed on a habitable planet orbiting a star that was in the gulf between this galaxy and Andromeda. Two of the things I remember are that the travelers' teeth wore down, and had to be regrown, and there was a religious dispute between worshippers of the primary they were orbiting and the nearer spiral galaxy. I'm 90% sure this was by Poul Anderson. I cannot, alas, remember its title.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

It's also pretty similar to a subplot of "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", but I don't think close enough that that's the specific book they're talking about.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I remember one short story where the ship full of near-immortal travelers crashed on a habitable planet orbiting a star that was in the gulf between this galaxy and Andromeda. Two of the things I remember are that the travelers' teeth wore down, and had to be regrown, and there was a religious dispute between worshippers of the primary they were orbiting and the nearer spiral galaxy. I'm 90% sure this was by Poul Anderson. I cannot, alas, remember its title.
    World Without Stars.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    World Without Stars.
    Yep, although it was a short novel, swampyankee, not a short story.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yep, although it was a short novel, swampyankee, not a short story.
    Yes. but that makes it a better fit with what jamesabrown's correspondent was looking for.

Grant Hutchison

When I was a child in about 1961 or 1962, when I was 6 or 7 years old, I read a sci-fi story about a planet (asteroid?) where the characters traveled through the ground in tunnels which were color-coded somehow. I don't recall the significance of the color coding, if there was any. I also seem to recall in the center of the planet was a giant diamond. And I could be (and probably am) miles off in my recollection. Ring any bells?

As far as I know that yarn was among the first stories I ever read at that age.