Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144
Results 4,291 to 4,299 of 4299

Thread: What are you reading?

Meanwhile, I found a copy of Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel, in a thrift store the other day and am going to be reading it whenever it's cool enough for me to think. (I don't do heavy reading in hot weather.) I've been meaning to read it for a while now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Just finished Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kako.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I just finished The Testament by John Grisham. It was published 20 years ago but was still very enjoyable. And along the way i learned a few things about Brazil, Ipica tribes and the Pantanal. Which I wasnít expecting since the core story is about the disposition of a very wealthy manís estate.

It must have been in the "bugs me" thread that I noted I thought I was getting The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat for Kindle and wound up with The Real Cruel Sea, nonfiction by Richard Woodman. I've been slowly working my way through the latter, which is very long because the author is basically documenting EVERY ship sinking and U-boat attack from 1939 to 1943! I'm only into early 1942 at the moment.
    Between half an hour or so a day of that, I've been re-reading some Pratchett, in semi-random order. Currently it's The Truth.

I did finally order a paperback of The Cruel Sea, which is still not available for Kindle. It's kind of expensive at US$20, but that's better than the hardback or "trade paperback" which are listed at over $800!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    It's kind of expensive at US$20, but that's better than the hardback or "trade paperback" which are listed at over $800!
    Every now and then, some weird algorithmic glitch on Amazon briefly shoots second-hand copies of my first book, Munro's Fables, into the pricing stratosphere. I once saw a couple of copies being advertised for something over £600 each. I've never understood what goes wrong to make a couple of sellers get stuck in that sort of continuously increasing price war.

Grant Hutchison

I've been reading Christopher Tolkien's final three compilations of his father's Middle-earth writing: The Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, and The Fall of Gondolin. It makes me resent those damn hobbits even more than I did previously--to some extent they derailed the entire project, though perhaps the narratives of the First Age would never have seen the light of day if it hadn't been for the popularity of the damn hobbits.

Anyway, the final volume contains a couple of interesting quotes from JRR Tolkien's letters to his publisher.
    On The Lord of the Rings:
    My work has escaped from my control, and I have produced a monster: an immensely long, complex, rather bitter, and very terrifying romance, quite unfit for children (if fit for anybody); and it is not really a sequel to The Hobbit, but to The Silmarillion.
    On The Silmarillion:
    You may, perhaps, remember about that work, a long legendary of imaginary times in a 'high style', and full of Elves (of a sort). It was rejected on the advice of your reader many years ago. As far as my memory goes, he allowed it a kind of Celtic beauty intolerable to Anglo-Saxons in large doses.
    Grant Hutchison

“Winning Space” by Brandon Weichert on my to-buy list.

Nicholas Monsarratt's The Cruel Sea (fiction) and Richard Woodman's The Real Cruel Sea (non-fiction), at the same time. Both on the same topic, of course. My current interest in the Battle of the Atlantic was spurred by C.S. Forrester's The Good Shepherd.

I finished The Cruel Sea yesterday. It's very very good. In spite of the tragedy near the end, which I was pretty much expecting.