Thread: Should we have a new LHC section?

Question Should we have a new LHC section?

There seem to be a number of LHC threads around the place, including some of mine.

As this is a big experiment, should we have a section devoted to the LHC and move all those LHC threads there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    There seem to be a number of LHC threads around the place, including some of mine.
    Some? ... I'd say "a lot"

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    As this is a big experiment, should we have a section devoted to the LHC and move all those LHC threads there?
    I vote no. Once the initial hype wears off, I think the discussions will be virtually nil.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    I vote no. Once the initial hype wears off, I think the discussions will be virtually nil.
    I was assuming Sticks' request was rhetorical.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    Could be... It's hard to tell, especially with his volume of contributions.

Sticks?

A new section would probably only encourage a barrage of different threads -- that have no real reason to exist en masse. How many ways are there to say the same half-dozen (maybe) sorts of things?

If members would just look around a bit before starting new topics, almost always there would already exist an LHC topic (or several) where any new LHC-related article would feel at home.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    Assuming it was not, I would vote NO. All the LHC interest is just a passing fancy. It is absolutely not worth its own section.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

So...you're all saying that Phil shouldn't change his site to the Bad Collider, and he and Fraser can be owners of the BCDUT forums? (Bad Colliding and Destroying the Universe Today).

[edited: Figure should probably give Fraser credit for this site aswell ]

Perhaps a couple of sticky posts in the obvious forums, linking to proper threads? Not that that would be foolproof, but it might help some.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    So...you're all saying that Phil shouldn't change his site to the Bad Collider, and he and Fraser can be owners of the BCDUT forums? (Bad Colliding and Destroying the Universe Today).

[edited: Figure should probably give Fraser credit for this site aswell ]
    Who is Fraser?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Could be... It's hard to tell, especially with his volume of contributions.

Sticks?
    I was being serious

But maybe I was taken in too much by novelty

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Perhaps a couple of sticky posts in the obvious forums, linking to proper threads? Not that that would be foolproof, but it might help some.
    Not a bad idea, but I would say one in the science section, try to keep it only as a roadmap to the various threads, and keep down the discussion so we can find the pertinent threads quickly.

Talking Bad Idea

A whole sub-forum for the LHC would be a very bad idea. It would create a mini-black hole in the Internet that would wind up drawing off too much time from our moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Who is Fraser?
    Fraser Cain - owner of Universe Today.

Who is Fraser?
    Fraser is the owner/operator of the Universe Today website and one of the co-owners of BAUT
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Sheesh.

I was kidding Y'all.

I met him at the Iron Cactus.
    Fortunately, I was able to escape while he was reaching for the axe handle.

[ETA: Not to mention that I refer to his U.T. articles in threads occasionally....]

Sheesh.

I was kidding Y'all.

I met him at the Iron Cactus.
    Fortunately, I was able to escape while he was reaching for the axe handle.

[ETA: Not to mention that I refer to his U.T. articles in threads occasionally....]
    It ain't easy to tell these days, with anyone. Proper use of smilies goes a long way.

ETA: We don't need an LHC section. Perhaps a bit more thread-splicing might be in order, though ...

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    It ain't easy to tell these days, with anyone. Proper use of smilies goes a long way.

ETA: We don't need an LHC section. Perhaps a bit more thread-splicing might be in order, though ...
    Yeah, that's why I don't use them. I get more amusement by leaving others to scratch their heads and wonder.
    But I literally laughed out loud when I looked at the recent posts and saw that TWO of you were that gullible...

I'm thinking of emailing you later with a good scam.

I agree about the thread splicing, but it may be very tough work on the Mods to pull that off. There are LHC threads all over the board at this point.

The next thing it makes me think of: Why are those of us on BAUT so obsessed with the alleged "danger" (Note the bugs) instead of discussing how GREAT it is?!
    Where is the Praise the LHC thread?
    Maybe in time one will come along, after the LHC has had time to produce and analyze results.
    As for myself, I'm impatiently waiting.

I'm sure that Stephen Hawking is too. He has a Hundred Bucks on it.

Having a temporarily sticky LHC thread where newly started threads can be dumped indiscriminately does make a bit of sense though, albeit might be confusing to read.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I agree about the thread splicing, but it may be very tough work on the Mods to pull that off. There are LHC threads all over the board at this point.
    When I was a moderator, I spent most of my time doing just that. But as I had (have) no life, that was OK with me.

And I ain't gullible.

I think that the spike in LHC threads will level out in the near future. If it's still a hot subject in a couple months then I'd say we should look at a new forum.

Isn't it the case that a great deal of the LHC content of BAUT at present is being sustained by proponents of ATM or conspiracy theories, and those who respond to their claims? ATM, because we're being told that Something Will Happen which is incompatible with current theory; conspiracy, because we're being told that all the people involved in this project are too concerned with their own careers to consider the risks of their actions.
    Shouldn't the ATM claims be moved to ATM? Shouldn't the conspiracy claims be excluded, since they don't relate to space or astronomy?

Then Q&A and General Science would be safe for those who are interested in a nice bit of science, and I doubt if the resulting LHC content would be difficult to wrangle.

Grant Hutchison

How about a section on Particle Physics, as it is a unique branch of physics that ties in with Cosmology and Astronomy?