Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Input Wanted: Building My Next PC (Updated)

That does sound a little odd. Well, since XP is at the end of its road, it might be a better idea to go it alone with Win7 and find other solutions for the programs you have that don't work with it.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Githyanki View Post
    Most of them did work with Win Seven. It was only a few that didn't, which is odd.
    You'd expect otherwise, but yeah, Win 7 and even 7x64 play much nicer with legacy software and drivers than XP ever did. You're probably better off making the jump to 7 outright. I've said before that it's a decent operating system. No "for Microsoft" qualifications, either. It's decent in its own right.

OHM, Computer gods let me bring this thread back to life, my the moderators take it easy on me for bringing such an old thread back to life, OHM.
    A
    s posted in another thread I was making a theoretical computer together and here are the big bits.
    An intel i7 gen8 core 3.8 ghz, with intel uhd graphic
    s, the reason for intel was because of the built in graphics not planning getting a graphics card because of bit miners and demand because of the pandemic.
    M
    sI z390 gaming motherboard, it has a VGA port and I have a couple of monitors that have VGA ports.
    Orion DAOTAL gaming computer ca
    se, I like the look it is one of the least expensive.
    Cor
    sair 970 500 gb m.2NvMe(before looking up parts I did a little research and found out about this memory, looks a little very useful.)
    Cor
    sair 850 watt atw modular power supply, probably don't need that kind of power supply but it can used in future builds and you don't what will be plugged into it.
    seagate 6 tb 7200 rpm sata hard drive for log term storage of pictures and such
    samsung 870 evo 1 tb sata internal solid state drive for programs, operating system
    2x 16 ram ddr4 (probably whatever i
    s cost effective)
    and air cooler for the cpu and thermal pa
    ste,don't like the idea of water in computer, yes do all the time just not for me.
    and then there i
    s stuff like keyboard, speakers and such.

Thi
    s is just theoretical and just to keep up to date with stuff haven't built a computer in a while.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

One big question: Why the two SSDs? My understanding is that the new m.2 drives are supposed to be able to handle faster throughput than SATA, but I’d check that on your setup. I know it depends on the drive and the older m.2 connectors were just SATA themselves, but not anymore.

A common configuration now is a fast m.2 SSD (maybe consider 1 tb for that) for the OS and most commonly used software, then a standard drive like your 6 tb drive for the rest, or a large SATA SSD.

You might also want to think about whether you need 32gb RAM. My understanding is 16 GB is enough for most things, and might save a little money.

I’m looking at an AMD cpu because they have better performance, but I can see getting an Intel with its own gpu for now. I’ll probably wait until the chip shortage eases to build my next desktop, I have my older i7 (I don’t remember what generation but fairly old) and an AMD laptop for now.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The samsung is suppose to be a ssd and the 8 tb is a standard hard drive, the 32 gb of ram is because there might be some video editing in the future.

M.2NvMe is suppose to be faster so if download a lot of pictures from a camera or videos and want to work on them that is a place to put them while you work with them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    The samsung is suppose to be a ssd and the 8 tb is a standard hard drive, the 32 gb of ram is because there might be some video editing in the future.
    Video editing can benefit from a dedicated graphics card. But depending on how often you're planning to do it, could be done with onboard graphics too.

the big bits
    Thread titles I've misread...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

M.2NvMe is suppose to be faster so if download a lot of pictures from a camera or videos and want to work on them that is a place to put them while you work with them.
    Right, so again - why the two SSDs? Why not make the m.2 drive a bit bigger and drop the second SSD? You have three drives there, why not simplify and make it two?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Right, so again - why the two SSDs? Why not make the m.2 drive a bit bigger and drop the second SSD? You have three drives there, why not simplify and make it two?
    something to think about.

Stuff I don't quite get: People who build their own PC. I buy one from Costco or Best Buy and run it until it won't then get another. And still haven't exhausted the capabilities of the first.
    The one I'm typing on is around ten years old and I like it much better than the newer one. Even though it has Windows 7. I'd prefer XP.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Stuff I don't quite get: People who build their own PC. I buy one from Costco or Best Buy and run it until it won't then get another. And still haven't exhausted the capabilities of the first.
    The one I'm typing on is around ten years old and I like it much better than the newer one. Even though it has Windows 7. I'd prefer XP.
    Basically, I get what I want when I build a PC because I choose everything, I typically save a bit, and I know what to do if there is a hardware problem. I have no choice with laptops, of course, but with desktops/towers it is a different story. I bought my last regular PC around 1995. It was the most expensive computer I ever bought (around $5,000, and that in 1995 dollars), I never liked it much, and it was hopelessly obsolete within a couple years. I built my own in 1997 to replace it and it was much less expensive and much better.

I also tend to do things that aren’t quite standard. For instance, my current tower (which is getting fairly old now) has four slimline bluray drives in two bays (I found a company that makes frames that can hold two slimline drives). I copied a lot of dvds to my NAS, four at a time. Of course, that is all for personal/home use. It never leaves the house.

I plan to build a new one when the chip shortage eases a bit. Incidentally, I prefer Windows 7, but if you use it you are taking a security risk since it is essentially unsupported now.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-May-20 at 12:56 AM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, also I play games, though not nearly as much as I used to (I played a *lot* in the nineties, but not much in the last five or so years). That used to mean upgrading was necessary every so many years. I havenít upgraded for a long time mainly because of the limited game play, and I recently bought a gaming laptop, so that reduces my need for a new tower. But there are some things Iíd like to try with a big screen and a new Nvidia card, once I can buy one.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I bought my first PC off the shelf in 1993 or '94 and I've built my own ever since. I think I ask more from my machine than average and I suppose I'm a bit of a control freak. I like knowing and controlling every component that goes in the box...and what box that is, too. I enjoy doing the market and technical research and I enjoy the build itself. I also think I get a better deal than if I were to spec a machine through a custom house. My next build will be an even better deal since I still like my case.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I was happy to get rid of Windows 7 as soon as I saw the difference in boot time with the newer Windowses. Happy W10 camper since it came out. We've lost control of our harddrive since W95 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I was happy to get rid of Windows 7 as soon as I saw the difference in boot time with the newer Windowses. Happy W10 camper since it came out. We've lost control of our harddrive since W95 anyway.
    Did you have a SSD or a regular drive? With a SSD and waking from sleep mode, Windows 7 booting is pretty darn fast. Yes, you can get faster, but the difference isn’t a big deal to me.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I think I ask more from my machine than average and I suppose I'm a bit of a control freak. I like knowing and controlling every component that goes in the box...and what box that is, too. I enjoy doing the market and technical research and I enjoy the build itself. I also think I get a better deal than if I were to spec a machine through a custom house. My next build will be an even better deal since I still like my case.
    Yes, I too usually go for a fairly high end computer but not ridiculous super high end*, and I like picking the components and the case. And I too like the research and the build. It’s fairly easy compared to a lot of other things I’ve done. Linus Tech Tips (a YouTube channel) fairly recently did a thing where a person who works for him and isn’t super well up on computer lingo called various companies and bought a computer through them. Dell was horrible, some of the others had good builds but with a huge markup for the labor, none matched in price or quality what I would build for myself.

*Super high end computers have a huge price premium, don’t add much for even most demanding users, and are surpassed so quickly you would be better off updating or replacing a cheaper machine in a few years if you really need it.

That expensive computer I bought in 1995 had the fastest cpu available and an expensive VRAM (special memory then) video card. Two years later, I built a new machine with a CPU three times faster, and a different and much cheaper video card that ran rings around the vram card. The entire computer was a fraction of the price too. Technology was part of the issue, but also the 1995 machine had just been a poor purchase.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-May-20 at 09:43 AM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Did you have a SSD or a regular drive? With a SSD and waking from sleep mode, Windows 7 booting is pretty darn fast. Yes, you can get faster, but the difference isn’t a big deal to me.
    SSD, but booting from shutdown. Difference between a minute* and 5 seconds from W7 to more recent.

(*) not a clean install but with other job required software installed. Up to W7 this has a much larger impact than from W8, where the PC is "released" as soon as possible and further booting happens in the background.

Yes, I too usually go for a fairly high end computer but not ridiculous super high end*
    I usually buy as high in the price v. performance sweet spot as my budget allows.

And my oh my...scrolling up this thread reminds me that my last build was just over 7 years ago. I've upgraded the GPU a couple of times, replaced the RAM due to a bad stick, and added a larger SSD but the core components are still the same. This has to be a record for me. This box has held up really well.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    And my oh my...scrolling up this thread reminds me that my last build was just over 7 years ago. I've upgraded the GPU a couple of times, replaced the RAM due to a bad stick, and added a larger SSD but the core components are still the same. This has to be a record for me. This box has held up really well.
    Mine is actually two years older. Itís a second generation i7 machine. I too replaced the video card and got a newer high res widescreen monitor, but that also is a record long time for me. Mainly I havenít needed something newer, Iíve had a tablet I use for most of my internet browsing, reading, etc. and I did get a new laptop. I had planned to build a new tower this year before the chip shortage came in with a vengeance. I was just waiting for the new generation Nvidia cards, but they are as rare as henís teeth. I think now Iíll make do for another year.

Before I retired I was a tad annoyed that my workplace had gone on an energy efficiency kick, so my recent work computer actually was lower performance than my several generation old i7. Efficiency is nice, but my job was programming. It was annoying when my old home computer could compile faster than my new work computer, though it also made clear my home computer is no slouch.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

One reason to build your own computer is probably control. This laptop is or was a good computer but I didn't know that dells autoloader doesn't like grub which allows you to choose windows or linux at bootup which made almost impossible to use linux. Also I am finding three USB ports kind of restricting and I want more.

For some reason right before I turned off the computer I decided to check out computer cases and found this. The design is fun looks like a shuttle craft from Star Trek but it is of limited desgn. I guess you could derictly download games to it but for other uses it could be very limited.

As you mentioned, that case does have some serious physical limitations, although I'm not sure why you limited it to downloading games. If you'd like to watch someone building in it and the problems they encountered, consider watching the YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjerpIvCTkE
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    As you mentioned, that case does have some serious physical limitations, although I'm not sure why you limited it to downloading games. If you'd like to watch someone building in it and the problems they encountered, consider watching the YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjerpIvCTkE
    I saw a few minutes of the video which actually gives a better idea of the scale of case. What I meant was that you could only put so much on the motherboard which would limit what you could use it for.

An addendum for those who haven't watched the video:
    the case will accept either a Micro ATX or a Mini ITX motherboard.
    (A Micro ATX would obstruct the cable management holes, so that could be a problem.)
    It's designed to use a full-sized ATX power supply.
    It has mounting points for one 3.25" disk plus two 2.5" disks, so there's room for plenty of storage in addition to however many M.2 drives are supported by whatever motherboard you choose.
    The canopy is effectively opaque, so there's no point in fancy RGB, although a faint glow can get through.
    The exterior of the case is made entirely of plastic, so it's quite fragile.
    Selden