Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 960 of 1260

Thread: The Share Your Art Thread!

  1. #931
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I bought some markers yesterday and have been trying to figure out how they work. I am not good with them.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0035.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	706.4 KB 
ID:	20563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0040.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	20564
    What type of paper surface are you working on, Solfe? I've generally found the papers manufactured with markers in mind like Canson Pro-Layout and Bienfang 360 work best.

    Also, make sure you have good ventilation.

  2. #932
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    What type of paper surface are you working on, Solfe? I've generally found the papers manufactured with markers in mind like Canson Pro-Layout and Bienfang 360 work best.

    Also, make sure you have good ventilation.
    It was my daughter's tracing pad. I was just sitting at the dining room table and thought the feel of it was neat. Of course, it is very slippery, so I don't think I will try it again. I have some marker paper around here someplace.
    Solfe

  3. #933
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It was my daughter's tracing pad. I was just sitting at the dining room table and thought the feel of it was neat. Of course, it is very slippery, so I don't think I will try it again. I have some marker paper around here someplace.
    Yeah, tracing paper can be tough, because the vellum absorbs very little ink, causing successive coats of color to "pool" on the surface of the paper.

    I've always liked markers because they're quick, a bit unpredictable, and you can use the white of the paper to it's own advantage by letting it show through. Starting out simple with just light, mid-tone and dark and working your way up from there is easiest.


  4. #934
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    Yeah, tracing paper can be tough, because the vellum absorbs very little ink, causing successive coats of color to "pool" on the surface of the paper.

    I've always liked markers because they're quick, a bit unpredictable, and you can use the white of the paper to it's own advantage by letting it show through. Starting out simple with just light, mid-tone and dark and working your way up from there is easiest.

    Those are great! I am going to try different surfaces to see what I get.

    Edit - Oh, yeah. One thing I am missing is gray markers. I think I need a larger palette of colors.
    Solfe

  5. #935
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    247
    Does anyone here have any suggestions for practicing your life drawing skills on real people? I've been told by instructors it's best to go to a busy public area like a library, coffee shop or a bus station and just pick from all the subjects available, but invariably the focus of your sketch works out what you are doing, picks up and leaves, shifts position, or in some cases will even get in your face. You can ask permission, of course, but even if granted your subject often strikes a more stiff unnatural pose than if they were unaware, and wishes to see the end product, which is not always flattering when you are practicing/learning.
    Last edited by Space Chimp; 2015-May-24 at 06:20 PM.

  6. #936
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Chimp View Post
    Does anyone here have any suggestions for practicing your life drawing skills on real people? I've been told by instructors it's best to go to a busy public area like a library, coffee shop or a bus station and just pick from all the subjects available, but invariably the focus of your sketch works out what you are doing, picks up and leaves, shifts position, or in some cases will even get in your face. You can ask permission, of course, but even if granted your subject often strikes a more stiff unnatural pose than if they were unaware, and wishes to see the end product, which is not always flattering when you are practicing/learning.
    I borrowed a series of chalk drawing instructional DVD's from the library. The used a live model and it isn't as good as real life, but it is always something.

    A wooden model may be useful. They look like a marionette without the strings. They come in different sizes and sometimes can be found cheaply in "bundle packs" at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. The other equipment might not be great, but a wooden figure model is pretty basic.
    Solfe

  7. #937
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    689
    In school, I remember our figure drawing teacher assigned 20-30 life sketches a week, and he wasn't too keen on us working from photos or the internet. I always envied the people who managed to fill their sketch book up right away. I always wanted to be invisible when drawing from life, because it all became a bit awkward if your subject noticed you scribbling away and starting glaring at you. Eventually, I found a cafe with tinted windows that allowed me to draw people outside in the courtyard without too much notice. Using a small notedpad instead of a sketchpad helped too.

    My other tactic in my art school days was to draw anyone who was too tired to care. Reposing roommates, students slumbering in the library, a weary waitress crashed in the break room waiting for her ride. I worked some of them up in color later. What they lacked in dynamics, they kinda made up for in detail.


  8. #938
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    4,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Chimp View Post
    Does anyone here have any suggestions for practicing your life drawing skills on real people? I've been told by instructors it's best to go to a busy public area like a library, coffee shop or a bus station and just pick from all the subjects available, but invariably the focus of your sketch works out what you are doing, picks up and leaves, shifts position, or in some cases will even get in your face. You can ask permission, of course, but even if granted your subject often strikes a more stiff unnatural pose than if they were unaware, and wishes to see the end product, which is not always flattering when you are practicing/learning.
    But sketching surreptitiously and learning to jot down the main details as quick as you can before people get up or move is half the fun!

    I suggest subway or cafés, a small notebook and a soft pencil. Try to get the gesture and the form rather than making everything 100% correct on the first pass, and learn to remember the important details of what you see because the subject will always move. Oh yes, work in passes.


  9. #939
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,860
    Tangent. This image always freaked me out as a child. It is from Doctor Who. Romana, a timelord, becomes aware of someone sketching her in a cafe. She moves and the artist crumples up the drawing and leaves.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timelord clock.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	20569
    Solfe

  10. #940
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    10,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    What type of paper surface are you working on, Solfe? I've generally found the papers manufactured with markers in mind like Canson Pro-Layout and Bienfang 360 work best.

    Also, make sure you have good ventilation.
    Just a thought: you can limit bleed by making a ball point line. Another medium is pastel chalks where again you can sketch or line in ball point and then pull the lines back by spraying with fixative which pulls and broadens the ball point.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  11. #941
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Selenite View Post
    I worked some of them up in color later. What they lacked in dynamics, they kinda made up for in detail.
    That's a great picture Selenite. Actually, what really makes it is the "slice of life" feel of it, a situation we've all experienced, as art.

    I don't draw, but I do like taking photos of people or animals asleep, especially portraits. Something about the muscles being so relaxed.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  12. #942
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Just a thought: you can limit bleed by making a ball point line. Another medium is pastel chalks where again you can sketch or line in ball point and then pull the lines back by spraying with fixative which pulls and broadens the ball point.
    Interesting. So, the scoring of the paper hems the ink in ? I'll have to give that a go.


    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    That's a great picture Selenite. Actually, what really makes it is the "slice of life" feel of it, a situation we've all experienced, as art.

    I don't draw, but I do like taking photos of people or animals asleep, especially portraits. Something about the muscles being so relaxed.
    Thanks Swift. Ultimately my instructor was looking for more far lively subjects and more spontaneous and less worked-over drawings at that. But I did pick up some good memories and I learned that sleep can be a dignified human act at times and well, other times not so much


  13. #943
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,665
    I envy you - I've never been able to capture people.......

    I do a passable Titan landscape or alien tower though...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip part2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	20629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG__201506159__070608.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	20631
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG__201505129__094040.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	20630  
    Last edited by marsbug; 2015-Jun-12 at 07:01 AM.

  14. #944
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,860
    I am back to markers. I am using better paper, but still not the correct paper.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ironman black.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	20635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ironman color.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	20636

    The all black version is on plain drawing paper. The color version is a scan of the black and white version and as a consequence is on plain copy paper. I think I will cut down some different types of paper and practice colors on the B&W image. I have a lot of paper, but very little of it is 8x11 for the printer.

    The funky colors are to match the old Iron Man armor from issue #69. I did it for #TBT. The colors aren't even close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0108.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	20633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15 - 2 (1).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	406.2 KB 
ID:	20634  
    Solfe

  15. #945
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,954
    Marsbug, love the alien landscapes.

    Solfe, that's still better than I could ever do.

  16. #946
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,860
    I missed the Titan-scape. Nice work. Oil or Acrylics?
    Solfe

  17. #947
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I am back to markers. I am using better paper, but still not the correct paper.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ironman black.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	20635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ironman color.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	20636

    The all black version is on plain drawing paper. The color version is a scan of the black and white version and as a consequence is on plain copy paper. I think I will cut down some different types of paper and practice colors on the B&W image. I have a lot of paper, but very little of it is 8x11 for the printer.

    The funky colors are to match the old Iron Man armor from issue #69. I did it for #TBT. The colors aren't even close.
    If you can excuse the poor pun, I'd say these show a marked improvement over your previous efforts.

  18. #948
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,177
    My so called art
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150608_205039~2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	357.4 KB 
ID:	20643  

  19. #949
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,860
    What kind of markers do you guys use?
    Solfe

  20. #950
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    What kind of markers do you guys use?

  21. #951
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,953
    Wow, that's a big marker Selenite. How do you get such fine detail?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  22. #952
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Wow, that's a big marker Selenite. How do you get such fine detail?
    The marker is normal, Selenite is only three inches tall.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  23. #953
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Wow, that's a big marker Selenite. How do you get such fine detail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The marker is normal, Selenite is only three inches tall.
    Well, Noclevername has perceptively sussed out my size situation. But I'm only three inches tall while I'm engaged in interplanetary marker smuggling.


  24. #954
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,953
    Does that make you a "marked" woman?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  25. #955
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mare Crisium
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Does that make you a "marked" woman?
    With markers? You'd better believe it. Thank heaven for neoprene gloves.


  26. #956
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,860
    More doodles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doodled - 3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	20670
    Solfe

  27. #957
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,235
    So this is Boo demonstrated converting toys into steam punk props.

    When she got to state college the second time, (at fourteen, she was too young for the social issues she was being exposed to and we had to pull her out), she was majoring in theatre and stagecraft. It didn't seem to take long at the college level to come to the realization the even people really good at stagecraft are still really poor.

    Now she's a senior majoring in some tech or another, with a minor in stagecraft. She teaches people how to use lasers and 3d printers. 25 bucks an hour beats putting yourself through college waiting tables.

    Boo has also become a tech nerd Goddess in battlebot circles. She adopted a team and behind the scenes, after reading their tech rules and restrictions, offered a few "suggestions" they didn't see before. Now the boys are rocketing upwards through the ranks. She told me and I was like "Damn! You know if they find out about this they're going to change some rules!"

    A very clever way to kill robots while whirling about big, flashy, look at me! types of weapons. The robot team loves her.

    Also...

    I still say Boo would have made a better Sam Puckett than Miss McCurdy would have. (Boo came in second place for the role.) One, Boo is a more believable 5'4" instead of 4'10" like Jennette. Two, Boo was undefeated on the boy's wrestling team at the time, so she actually had strength and technique.

    Don't get me wrong. I'm such a big fan of Miss McCurdy that I'm just waiting until she's 25 before I get the McCurdian tattoo. Just in case she goes schizoid on us. Seems a reasonable precaution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!costumes A.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	20797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!costumes.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	478.5 KB 
ID:	20798  
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

  28. #958
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,235
    Oh yeah.

    I made Boo. She's my second born.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

  29. #959
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,954
    That Steampunk gun is awesome!

  30. #960
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,235
    Miss Kai, that steam punk gun started life as a nerf gun.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Similar Threads

  1. Just had to share.
    By Darasen in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2009-Feb-22, 11:38 PM
  2. Just had to share this quote
    By KaiYeves in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2008-Mar-26, 06:02 PM
  3. Something I wanted to share
    By KaiYeves in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2008-Jan-12, 01:27 AM
  4. Anyone willing to share their knowlege about....anything?
    By Knowledge_Seeker in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2006-Jan-30, 12:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •