Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 65

Thread: $44.6b

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,782
    Quote Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K
    If Microsquish has that kind of money to throw around, I wish they
    would spend some of it on a lean and robust OS. Every time I buy a
    new computer with a newer, faster processor, it is slower than the
    old one due to the new "improved" (i.e. bloated) OS!
    Build your own

    All major builders(HP/Compaq, Dell/Alienware, Gateway Sony ect.)
    put out crappy products to begin with, if you want to buy insted
    of build, find a local builder.
    But the problem is the operating system, not the computer.
    Nomatter how fast, powerful, big, and ugly the hardware is,
    Microsplat finds ways to make it run like a tree sloth.

    Are there any real alternatives on the IBM PC side of the force?

    I've practically promised that I won't pay Microsludge another
    cent, but I'm not sure I can avoid it if I want to actually use the
    new computer I'm planning to get.

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,442
    Quote Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
    The only software I recommend paying for is Ad Muncher.

    I use IE7 and never get an infection...
    I use Firefox with Adblock and NoScript, pretty much the same effect at no cost.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13,423
    Someone has a Petition up for Yahoo!.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    13,886
    But returning to the original topic...

    The only reason Microsoft wants/needs to buy Yahoo is despite (or because of) their size they've never figured out the Internet. The company paradigm (HAD to use that word!) always seems to be 'fix/add to the software'. It sometimes reminds me of cable TV, where now there are literally hundreds of channels I don't want to watch.

    Unable to figure this out on its own, MSoft is trying to buy the expertise by unfriendly acquisition. My own prediction is that it will flop spectacularly, since MSoft will, as a corporate culture, crush whatever is left of creative value in Yahoo. And afterwards they will not be able to explain what went wrong.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    But the problem is the operating system, not the computer.
    Nomatter how fast, powerful, big, and ugly the hardware is,
    Microsplat finds ways to make it run like a tree sloth.

    Are there any real alternatives on the IBM PC side of the force?

    I've practically promised that I won't pay Microsludge another
    cent, but I'm not sure I can avoid it if I want to actually use the
    new computer I'm planning to get.

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis

    I never said that Vista is a great OS, I hate it, networking and games suck and I wont even go into the UAC joke or the stupid changes to the UI.

    I have played with a Vista/XP(primium/pro) dual boot(Intel Q6600 and 2GB RAM), I couldn't feel any speed difference between them. Vista just needs a ton of RAM.

    And yes, hardware has a major impact, you get one of the major brand PCs and you will be losing some CPU power because of all the onboard crap chewing up cycles, I have zero respect for them, you get less performance for your dollar.

    The best replacement OS for the general public would be Ubuntu/Kubuntu, I prefer Kubuntu because of KDE.


    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    I use Firefox with Adblock and NoScript, pretty much the same effect at no cost.
    I have too, but Ad Muncher does a far better job even with Firefox, My biggest gripe with Firefox is that you can't fully turn off tabs, they get in my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    But returning to the original topic...

    The only reason Microsoft wants/needs to buy Yahoo is despite (or because of) their size they've never figured out the Internet. The company paradigm (HAD to use that word!) always seems to be 'fix/add to the software'. It sometimes reminds me of cable TV, where now there are literally hundreds of channels I don't want to watch.

    Unable to figure this out on its own, MSoft is trying to buy the expertise by unfriendly acquisition. My own prediction is that it will flop spectacularly, since MSoft will, as a corporate culture, crush whatever is left of creative value in Yahoo. And afterwards they will not be able to explain what went wrong.
    I really don't get the usefulness of Yahoo(or MSN for that matter), I just don't see any pro's or con's.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,084
    Quote Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
    ...I could build a $1000 tower that would knock your socks off.
    What if you needed a laptop?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13,423
    I'll take a tower over a laptop any day.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong View Post
    What if you needed a laptop?
    You're SOL.

    Find one with decent specs, wipe the HD and load Windows and drivers from scratch.

    There are very few notebook chassis and there aren't any good cooling solutions fro a "white box" notebook.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    I'll take a tower over a laptop any day.


    Unless you need portability to make money, laptops/notebooks are a waste of time and money.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,782
    Quote Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
    The best replacement OS for the general public would be
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu, I prefer Kubuntu because of KDE.
    Is there anywhere I could get an Ubuntu or Kubuntu CD locally?

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    Is there anywhere I could get an Ubuntu or Kubuntu CD locally?

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    You can download it online and burn it to disk easily enough.
    http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php
    http://www.kubuntu.org/

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    You can download it online and burn it to disk easily enough.
    http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php
    http://www.kubuntu.org/
    Or perhaps search for a local unix/linux users group, most often they will be happy to help.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...is+linux+users

    (K)Ubuntu is not Gentoo however, there really isn't any challenge to loading and running (K)Ubuntu.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    13,886
    Since I spend a lot of time evenings in my rump-sprung old overstuffed chair in the living room, slouched back with my laptop on my.....lap.... writing, I personally perfer it to balancing a tower somewhere. Plus, if I want to ask my wife her opinion of something I just wrote I unplug the laptop and carry it over to where she's knitting so she can read it without getting up.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Since I spend a lot of time evenings in my rump-sprung old overstuffed chair in the living room, slouched back with my laptop on my.....lap.... writing, I personally perfer it to balancing a tower somewhere. Plus, if I want to ask my wife her opinion of something I just wrote I unplug the laptop and carry it over to where she's knitting so she can read it without getting up.
    Within a year there will be video cards powerful enough to push 40in 1080p LCD screens in non SLI or Corssfire configurations in the sub $300 range...

    The PC is set to become the main componet in family entertainment.

    Games, movies and pr0n... all in your living room in widescreen HD.

  15. 2008-Feb-05, 01:05 AM

  16. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13,423
    Quote Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
    Within a year there will be video cards powerful enough to push 40in 1080p LCD screens in non SLI or Corssfire configurations in the sub $300 range...

    The PC is set to become the main componet in family entertainment.

    Games, movies (snip)... all in your living room in widescreen HD.
    That is pretty much what has happened in my house. I even put a tower under the TV Center and hooked up a Large Sun Monitor with an Adapter in place of the TV. All One Unit for PS, Nintendo (Emulators), movies, music... How sad huh?

  17. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    13,886
    Within a year there will be video cards powerful enough to push 40in 1080p LCD screens in non SLI or Corssfire configurations in the sub $300 range...
    I have no idea what a non SLI or Crossfire configuration is. Nor do I care to learn.

    Without any sarcasm intended AT ALL, I'm happy for you. I have a 13" CRT TV in the bedroom and a 17" in the den, and our family is completely happy with both. And if they blew out I would think twice before replacing them, they are used so little. OK, I need one to see 'Lost', the only program I watch regularly anymore. But I could catch it on the computer, so...

    And besides, my current visual acuity doesn't need 1080 lines. I just have no interest at all in a five-foot wide television set. I understand those who do, and for you I think it's great. It's not for me.

    Don't misunderstand me, I spend my days maintaining a few million dollars worth of mass spectrometers. I admire technological advances, and am currently enjoying sitting in my rump-sprung overstuffed chair, typing into my laptop on top of my lap as it talks to the devil box in my wife's office and so out to everywhere on earth. Lord, it's amazing.

  18. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    7,732
    I have a 13" CRT TV in the bedroom and a 17" in the den, and our family is completely happy with both
    You won't be in a year, when without digital converters, you'll have two boat anchors!

  19. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    9,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    You won't be in a year, when without digital converters, you'll have two boat anchors!
    If he's got cable and isn't pulling the signal out of the aether, he'll be fine.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

  20. 2008-Feb-05, 02:52 AM

  21. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    13,886
    Indeed, satellite. I'm happy.

  22. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    You can download it online and burn it to disk easily enough.
    http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php
    http://www.kubuntu.org/
    Before I asked, I calculated that it would take just under two days
    (48 hours) to download. Doable, I expect, but I'll go for a CD-ROM.

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis

  23. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,782
    Quote Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
    there really isn't any challenge to loading and running (K)Ubuntu.
    You've sold me. I'll try it.

    A friend uses Ubuntu, and suggested it, but he is a very laconic guy
    and made no attempt to persuade me. The Ubuntu website didn't
    convince me either, and when I found only two locations in the USA
    where a CD-ROM could be obtained, both way far away from me, I
    lost interest. But you revived my interest. I'll try Kubuntu. I'd think
    one could get a disk at a place like Best Buy for $5 or $10 or or $15.
    I saw a discussion in which someone complained that you can't.
    Neither Best Buy nor Circuit City has it on their websites. If it really
    is any good that should change.

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis

  24. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    6,213
    Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong View Post
    What if you needed a laptop?
    PC Laptops

    I'm not sure if they have a mail order business or not, but I'd almost bet something could be arranged.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

  25. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    I have no idea what a non SLI or Crossfire configuration is. Nor do I care to learn.
    SLI(Nvidia) and CrossFire(ATI/AMD) are multiple interconnected video card setups used(mainly) by gamers to play PC games at the very highest settings at extremely high frame rates with a huge monitor.

    SLI and CrossFire may also be used for imaging and video rendering...


    Tesla(Nvidia) is sort of a take on SLI for dedicated GPU computing in medical research and other fields.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_c...solutions.html

    ATI/AMD has a similar solution.

  26. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    13,886
    Thanks, drainbread, but you are pouring water on Teflon.
    I appreciate your effort to enlighten me, but this old brain dropped out of the hardware race many years ago and no longer has even the rudiments to understand anything below headline level.

  27. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Thanks, drainbread, but you are pouring water on Teflon.
    I appreciate your effort to enlighten me, but this old brain dropped out of the hardware race many years ago and no longer has even the rudiments to understand anything below headline level.
    Trust me, your response was well worth it.

    Almost fell out of my chair.

  28. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    You've sold me. I'll try it.

    A friend uses Ubuntu, and suggested it, but he is a very laconic guy
    and made no attempt to persuade me. The Ubuntu website didn't
    convince me either, and when I found only two locations in the USA
    where a CD-ROM could be obtained, both way far away from me, I
    lost interest. But you revived my interest. I'll try Kubuntu. I'd think
    one could get a disk at a place like Best Buy for $5 or $10 or or $15.
    I saw a discussion in which someone complained that you can't.
    Neither Best Buy nor Circuit City has it on their websites. If it really
    is any good that should change.

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    Before I asked, I calculated that it would take just under two days
    (48 hours) to download. Doable, I expect, but I'll go for a CD-ROM.

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    Are you on dialup or a really slow broadband connection? I have the slowest connection from Cox Communications and I can get the image in under an hour.

    I found mirrors at the University of Minnesota, judging from your location that should be the closest one.
    Try this for 32 bit or this for 64 bit.
    You should be able to request a CD from them.

  29. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,782
    Quote Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
    Are you on dialup or a really slow broadband connection?
    Dialup. Shared by multiple users, even, so I can't hog it.

    Quote Originally Posted by drainbread
    I found mirrors at the University of Minnesota, judging from your
    location that should be the closest one.
    You should be able to request a CD from them.
    Oh, Lord. I might be able to just saunter over to the campus, walk
    into the computer sciences building, and ask for one. I've never
    been in the computer sciences building, and it must be over fifteen
    years old, now. I've walked past/underneath it a hundred times.

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis

  30. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14,782
    I did just saunter over to the campus the other day, walked into the
    computer sciences building for the first time, and asked for an Ubuntu
    or Kubuntu CD. They didn't have the K-part, but there were some
    Ubuntu disks sitting on a whiteboard shelf ready for me to take, so
    now I have one.

    Need to get the computer that can run it, yet.

    Starting with a monitor. I almost got a Proview 2230W at a clearance
    price, but the store made a mistake about whether they still had one
    in stock. So I have a second chance to decide on what I want.

    -- Jeff, in Minneapolis

  31. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    148
    If you choose to dual boot XP with Ubuntu I suggest reformating your HD to FAT32, that way you will be able to read and write to your "my documents" folder.

    Linux can read NTFS drives but are very flaky when trying to write to them.

  32. #60
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
    Within a year there will be video cards powerful enough to push 40in 1080p LCD screens in non SLI or Corssfire configurations in the sub $300 range...

    The PC is set to become the main componet in family entertainment.

    Games, movies and pr0n... all in your living room in widescreen HD.
    Hmmm... Haven't really bothered to look into the whole HDTV racket, but I do not see why it would be harder for the card to provide video for a 40" than say a 30" screen, as long as both have the same number of lines...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •