Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $44.6b

$44.6b

Today Microsoft offered $44.6B to buy Yahoo, insane considering they don't even MAKE anything. I was curious what the Astronomy community could get for that amount. I know it's a bit of an off topic thread, but this amount of money just blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyfca View Post
    Today Microsoft offered $44.6B to buy Yahoo, insane considering they don\'t even MAKE anything.
    Profits and cashflows?

I was curious what the Astronomy community could get for that amount. I know it\'s a bit of an off topic thread, but this amount of money just blows my mind.
    The deal is part cash and part stock, so if it happens, some cash will move from Microsoft\'s pocket into the pockets of Yahoo shareholders. How much astronomy-related stuff would it buy? The same amount in the pockets of the Yahoo shareholders as it would have when it was in Microsoft\'s pocket.

If Microsquish has that kind of money to throw around, I wish they would spend some of it on a lean and robust OS. Every time I buy a new computer with a newer, faster processor, it is slower than the old one due to the new "improved" (i.e. bloated) OS!

"Two telescopes in every garage!"

Meh. The market calls for a 44.6B USD price tag, that's what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    If Microsquish has that kind of money to throw around, I wish they would spend some of it on a lean and robust OS. Every time I buy a new computer with a newer, faster processor, it is slower than the old one due to the new "improved" (i.e. bloated) OS!
    Build your own

All major builders(HP/Compaq, Dell/Alienware, Gateway Sony ect.) put out crappy products to begin with, if you want to buy insted of build, find a local builder.

Yeah, right---drainbread OS Version 1.0.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbread View Post
    Build your own
    Why should I have to? I don't have to "build my own" TV, stereo, car or telescope to get a decent product at a decent price!

All major builders(HP/Compaq, Dell/Alienware, Gateway Sony ect.) put out crappy products to begin with,
    Their problem!

if you want to buy insted of build, find a local builder.
    The operative word is find! See above. If I want a decent TV, car, I don't have to find somebody to build it for me, just like I don't have to build it myself!

I lived through the (tail end) of the era when the only way to get a decent telescope was to build it yourself. The era of do it yourself audio was before my time, but not by much.

As long as MS has a monopoly on the non-geek OS market, I am at the mercy of Vista (at least until MS drops the latest "new and improved" OS on us.

Today Microsoft offered $44.6B to buy Yahoo, insane considering they don't even MAKE anything. I was curious what the Astronomy community could get for that amount. I know it's a bit of an off topic thread, but this amount of money just blows my mind.

You have to remember 2 things:

a) Microsoft doesn't MAKE anything either. They just duplicate CDs of compiled text (code).

b) The value of a company is meaningless. Its not what it is ACTUALLY worth, but what it is PERCEIVED to be worth. (and that perception may or may not have any basis in reality....)

I lived through the (tail end) of the era when the only way to get a decent telescope was to build it yourself. The era of do it yourself audio was before my time, but not by much.

As long as MS has a monopoly on the non-geek OS market, I am at the mercy of Vista (at least until MS drops the latest "new and improved" OS on us.
    Assembling your own PC isn't hard. Can be fun . The other day I had to re-epoxy a processor back onto the cooling unit and reinstall it in a motherboard. It was so much fun. Really. I mean I barely wanted to get the sledge hammer out at all.

Actually, on this PC I use XP. I was not happy 3 years ago when I switched over to XP. My other one is Windows NT.
    It will still be that way for a while. The previous PC to that was 95. Good enough OS. Had to reboot daily though. But then... Have to do that with XP now it seems.
    My NT- I can hammer it hard- leave it on- never reboot. It just smiles and asks for more.
    All others- Linux.

The problem isn't always whether or not we have a choice, but are the choices even worth a crap?
    Compatibility keeps you limited.

Epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    Epoxy?

Yeah... How do I describe this?

It looks like aluminum metal fins or a radiator. The processor is set on the circuitboard and then a little clip swings down closing and locking it in place.
    Then that metal radiator is epoxied on top of the processor with a type of epoxy that transfers heat very well.
    Then metal clips hold that radiator down too, with the cooling fan screwed on top of it.
    Not the best way I have seen- but that is the way that builder did it. Tugged the processor out- only to find that I could not put it back on- because the swing arm clip on the processor couldn't be operated without slamming into the radiator lookin' thingy. So I had to carefully pop the processor off the radiator (Wasn't easy!), install it- then rebuild outward.

ETA: I was cussin' that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Yeah... How do I describe this?

It looks like aluminum metal fins or a radiator. The processor is set on the circuitboard and then a little clip swings down closing and locking it in place.
    Then that metal radiator is epoxied on top of the processor with a type of epoxy that transfers heat very well.
    Then metal clips hold that radiator down too, with the cooling fan screwed on top of it.
    Not the best way I have seen- but that is the way that builder did it. Tugged the processor out- only to find that I could not put it back on- because the swing arm clip on the processor couldn't be operated without slamming into the radiator lookin' thingy. So I had to carefully pop the processor off the radiator (Wasn't easy!), install it- then rebuild outward.

ETA: I was cussin' that day.
    That ain't no epoxy.

I use Arctic Silver 5, which is not an adhesive at all - do you use something that actually sticks it together? If so, that is quite strange.

Why should I have to?
    You don't, but it's the only way to truly get what you want out of a PC.
    Very true, I didn't even get XP 'till SP2 came out...

The trick with Vista is:
    Only use a multi-core processor and 2GB(it's the sweet spot and pointless to use more) of quality DDR2 RAM, the $80 dual channel kits work great.
    Stay away from the 64 bit OS for now, it's still a hassle.

I could build a $1000 tower that would knock your socks off, hell anything over $500 is gravy when building a tower these days.

That ain't no epoxy.

I use Arctic Silver 5, which is not an adhesive at all - do you use something that actually sticks it together? If so, that is quite strange.
    Very nice article about thermal compounds.

That ain't no epoxy.

The little package said "epoxy"
    Like a Resin. Yes it "glued" the metal radiator to the processor.

do you use something that actually sticks it together? If so, that is quite strange.
    No. Whoever designed and built the PC did. I just had to duplicate it because it was already designed to be done that way.

ETA: Went and tried to see if I could find the package or if it went in the trash. If I remember correctly it said "Cooler Master: The Ultimate Thermal Solution." or some such...
    Then again, that may have been a different box I looked at.

That brings an old quote by Dick Feynman into my mind:
    There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

I agree. My computer at work is still running Win 2000. Our IT guy keeps trying to give me a new one running Vista, but I don't want it (I don't do anything that requires massive processing capability anyway).

I, for one, vehemently hope MSN does NOT acquire Yahoo.
    I use yahoo to get away from MSN.

Their instant messenger has good features (except the plug-ins annoy me- I disabled that junk) and less frills.

Windows Live just annoys every bone in my body.
    Whenever I log in on it and someone messages me with those Pop up avatars and In Your Face noisy Audible attention getters I want to punch my monitor. It's like walking in to an asylum.

MSN also loves to control everything. They give the user very little freedom of control. It takes longer to do it their way- takes more processing power to do it their way and they usually try to make me download something to do it their way. If I don't do any of those things- Nothin' - no feature. Monopolized.

Ugh... I'm starting to rant. I hate 'em.

The trick with Vista is:
    Only use a multi-core processor and 2GB(it's the sweet spot and pointless to use more) of quality DDR2 RAM, the $80 dual channel kits work great.
    Stay away from the 64 bit OS for now, it's still a hassle.

I could build a $1000 tower that would knock your socks off, hell anything over $500 is gravy when building a tower these days.
    I'm retired, on a very limited budget. I don't have that kind of money to spend. I just replaced my old mobile home with a new one. In fact that's how my old one got destroyed. The people hired to move my old trailer out of the way and the new one in ripped the monitor out of the back of the PC rather than unscrew the cable end. Pulled the back panel clean off the back of the computer! The dealer paid for the new one.

My computer is:
    Compaq Presario SR5110NX
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+
    512 MB RAM

So, If I understand you correctly, all I need is to do is increase my RAM to 2GB to speed it up significantly. Is this correct?

So, If I understand you correctly, all I need is to do is increase my RAM to 2GB to speed it up significantly. Is this correct?
    Yes. The rule of thumb is: 2GB for Vista. 1GB for XP, 512MB for 98SE. Less than that, your OS will spend most of its time swapping (or worse, paging.)
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

<chuckle>
    256 Megs here- Running XP like a champ.

My first computer had 4MB RAM and 128MB HD!

Ahhh those were the days! And at a time when that was a LOT too! Fancy machine.

The other day I was working on a computer here and I was in the BIOS. My son said said, "Look, it's broken!"

Ah, the youngsters. My first had 8kB and no hard disk at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kucharek View Post
    Ah, the youngsters. My first had 8kB and no hard disk at all.
    And it left footprints on the Paluxy riverbed.

My computer is:
    Compaq Presario SR5110NX
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+
    512 MB RAM

It's always PITA to find compatable RAM for HP/Compaq... but I did

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134210
    Get 2 of those, they are $27.99 each.

To really speed up the PC, get rid of everything that currently runs in your system tray except your onboard auido software(probably realtek or AC'97), get rid Norton/McAfee and use AVG, get spybot-S&D and immunize your system(I never use the scanner, I don't need to), get SpywareBlaster and immunize your system further.

The only software I recommend paying for is Ad Muncher.

I use IE7 and never get an infection...

Even with my dangerous surfing habits(pr0n).

It's always PITA to find compatable RAM for HP/Compaq.
    Hmmm... I never had any trouble finding RAM for my last two computers - both were Compaq. I assumed that 2GB DDR RAM is 2GB DDR RAM. What am I missing?
    ...get rid Norton...
    I've noticed that my computer is unusable whenever Norton decides to scan (seemingly at random times). Now that I think about it, my old computer was real slow until I got rid of Mcafee.

Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Hmmm... I never had any trouble finding RAM for my last two computers - both were Compaq. I assumed that 2GB DDR RAM is 2GB DDR RAM. What am I missing?
    There are many things that can affect the compatibility of RAM, the memory controller for example may only like a specific density of memory chips on the module or only a few brands of memory chips(Samsung chips are everywhere).

RAM voltage poses another issue, too low and your system drags... too high and you could damage the RAM and even the mainboard.

Latency is a major factor... but that makes my head hurt so I won't go there.

RAM speed, this is kind of easy, if you use two seperate speeds(but still compatible to the controller) of RAM, the faster RAM will default to the lower speed.

For the reason you havent had problems, most controllers are adaptible but at the cost of system performance.

I've noticed that my computer is unusable whenever Norton decides to scan (seemingly at random times). Now that I think about it, my old computer was real slow until I got rid of Mcafee.

Thanks for taking the time to help me!
    No problem, I really enjoy talking about PC hadware... almost as much as cars

OK, I'm going shopping tomorrow. I am going to assume that the place where I bought the computer (Fry's) will know whether the RAM they have is compatible with the computer they sold. I'll let you know Monday.