Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AAS - Austin Meetup Tuesday Jan 8, 8pm

Quote Originally Posted by multipath View Post
    I posted both here and on Pamela's blog. Did you count Phil's blog?
    Yes.

The restraunt is requiring a headcount so they can prepare the necessary amount of food.

The food will be:
    Chips and salsa
    Chips and queso
    7-layer bean dip
    Shrimp Parillia (stuffing of a slice of jalapeno, Chihuahua cheese, and then wrapped in bacon). Yeh ha!
    There will be a convenient cash bar set-up in the room for the purchase of any drinks/beverages.

This event will be in their Mezzanine Room, which can accomodate 30 sitting, I think, but some of the tables will probably be removed to accomodate 40. There is a stairway that takes you to the roof, which is mostly enclosed; this should relieve any overflow.

There is no cover charge. [A hat, or something, will probably get passed around for anyone wishing to help reimburse for the food.]

Is anyone doing the balloons, or decorating?

[BTW, the San Antonoio Astronomy Assoc. is also notified of the event.]
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

ok, so are we only meeting at the restaurant or at something beforehand?
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

"Astronomy Cast and the Bad Astronomer his bad self are planning to have meetup for all you wonderful fans and friends out there who will be at the AAS meeting or who feel like driving to Austin."

Is the AAS meeting open to anyone, or is it restricted to professional astronomers or AAS members? Austin is too far for me, and I have other commitments, but I am curious about the general policy for interested people who may want to attend the meeting.

It is open- not restricted.

I think it would be helpful- for those who are planning to attend
    if there was a singular spot (with a link?) where everyone can look for all details- name list of who's going (headcount) etc...
    What preparations have already been taken care of - what times- the map- etc...

Right now it seems kinda hodge podge
    I personally, don't know who's blog is where or what anyway (although I'll most likely not be there) and I think that it would probably easier to have an accurate headcount and less confusion if there was one good spot where everyone can confer.

The food will be:

Chips and salsa
    Chips and queso
    7-layer bean dip
    Shrimp Parillia (stuffing of a slice of jalapeno, Chihuahua cheese, and then wrapped in bacon). Yeh ha!
    Wow ! That's Yummy , I love mexican food!

Wish I can be there ....

Quote Originally Posted by laurele View Post
    Is the AAS meeting open to anyone, or is it restricted to professional astronomers or AAS members? Austin is too far for me, and I have other commitments, but I am curious about the general policy for interested people who may want to attend the meeting.
    The blogging/podcasting meetup is open to everyone, but one has to pay a lot more to attend the AAS meeting if one is not an member of AAS. If you are curious about registration, the AAS website has more information. Becoming a member of AAS requires Nomination by two current members, which generally requires that one be working in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    I think it would be helpful- for those who are planning to attend if there was a singular spot (with a link?) where everyone can look for all details- name list of who's going (headcount) etc...
    This thread seems to be the key spot and has been referenced in the blogs.

What preparations have already been taken care of - what times- the map- etc...
    The Iron Cactus has us locked-in (see my prior post). Overflow can go onto the roof which is mostly enclosed due to weather concerns.

Any new things that pop-up in the blogs, hopefully, will get reported here. I am not always current with all three of them.

Other than a place, food, cash bar, and a microphone, nothing else that I am aware of is being done. Does anyone have ideas for decorations? Astronomy Cast balloons for directions was a good idea someone mentioned.

looks like good weather. 21C is nice enough to go outside with short sleeves.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Just for reference, I may be bringing 2-3 more people.

There is now an official post on our website summarizing details including a map showing the Iron Cactus' location in relation to convention centre and the conference hotels.

-Rebecca B-F

which website?

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    which website?
    Astronomy Cast's - here.

cool, I'll be there at 8 tomorrow

Great.

Because of the very nice turn-out that is now expected (up to ~60), the event has moved to the prestigious rooftop area of the Iron Cactus. If there happens to be folks in the Mezzanine, though unlikely, it ain't us. The rooftop is a much larger area and we may be able to seat everyone. It has a retractable roof/covering, though not a dome with doors.

Weather is suppose to be very clear, and the temperature should be about 60F. We aim to please!

thanks for the weather report. it's hard to believe being that it's so cloudy now, but 28 hours is plenty to change around here.

We could have 28 changes between now and then, but it is favorable for the "then".

Just checked into the hotel. Going over to the conference center in a bit to register. Hope to see people around!

I hate all of you.

Sorry, that just spilled out. I'm stuck in Houston and can't be there.

Oh, well, have fun... and have a Brave Bull for me.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I thought I put myself down as going on the starstryder blog. Maybe I forgot to hit post. I'm still intending to drive down to Austin with a friend tomorrow afternoon.

Nice first post! Welcome here and there.

Was listening to the latest Astronomy Cast episode on the flight down and wanted to list myself as attending.

Oh, and hi everyone!

This event is like having a membership drive. Welcome to BAUT Code. See you tonight.

I'll leave soon!

Pamela and Fraser, it was nice meeting the both of you. It's great to associate a face with the voices. Wish I'd had a chance to meet Phil but perhaps next time. It was also neat to meet other folks in the Austin area who are into astronomy.

Lets hope this is the first of many meetups.

Man that was fun. I'm so glad I got to meet all of you!

That was a very special treat. Great turnout. I am still unsure which one of these leaders suggested they get together, but I am very glad they did. My understanding it was a first for them to do so.

I wish I had time today to keep-up with the live blogging going on.

Good to meet all the BAUTers there, too!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it: I was having dinner with a group, and it took a long time. Hope everyone had fun.

And if you are around today (tuesday), my poster is #46.04...

I was very happy to meet several of our BAUTers and a few lurkers! Thank you George for all your work setting it up. I had a really good time.

Yea, George, thanks very much for getting us all together.

Thumbs up Some pictures from the Meet and Greet

I took some pictures at the Meet and Greet Tuesday night and posted them on Picasa.

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnrsie...8AstronomyCast

It was great to meet everyone last night. It was really fun to see and talk to everyone in person. Thanks again for organizing the event!!

John