Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AAS - Austin Meetup Tuesday Jan 8, 8pm

Talking AAS - Austin Meetup Tuesday Jan 8, 8pm

Hi Everyone,

Astronomy Cast and the Bad Astronomer his bad self are planning to have meetup for all you wonderful fans and friends out there who will be at the AAS meeting or who feel like driving to Austin.

The place isn't set in stone, but we're thinking may the Iron Cactus downtown (the bar and grill within walking of the convention center - Anyone in Austin willing to do some footwork? Checking out if the Iron Cactus has a room and making reservations or similar?)

Time is Tuesday at 8pm.

We'd love to get some general sense of how many people are interested. If you are thinking of going, can you please pipe up?

Cheers,
    Pamela
    Last edited by StarStryder; 2007-Dec-22 at 05:52 AM.

Wow, right in my hometown...
    What are the odds?

I can do footwork easy- Ive been to the Iron Cactus several times...

Also isn't CrossCountry an Austinite? As well as Kaptain K (Elgin, but close )

I'm an hour south of Austin - near New Braunfels. I'll go! Neverfly - I'm going to have to get some really good directions.

Hi Neverfly, Thanks! There is also a little bit of discussion over on my blog about this. If you could coordinate something for us, it would make us amazingly happy! Our on real concern is that the under 21 among us (specifically Astro Cast's producer, Rebecca) can get in, and that we have room for this to bloat. If you want to pm me your email or phone number, we can chat offline.

And it sounds like there will be folks willing to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinaa View Post
    I'm an hour south of Austin - near New Braunfels. I'll go! Neverfly - I'm going to have to get some really good directions.
    That's No problem- I service a nine county area- including yours
    There is another among us from San Antonio I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaGay View Post
    Hi Neverfly, Thanks! There is also a little bit of discussion over on my blog about this. If you could coordinate something for us, it would make us amazingly happy! Our on real concern is that the under 21 among us (specifically Astro Cast's producer, Rebecca) can get in, and that we have room for this to bloat. If you want to pm me your email or phone number, we can chat offline.

And it sounds like there will be folks willing to help!
    Unless the manager has changed at Iron Cactus- I've done work for them- I'll check on that. Makes things simpler... and just PM the results to you.

Count me in! I've notified the San Antonio Astronomy Assoc. and expect others will come, too.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I'll be there, at least Monday-Wednesday evenings that week if the gathering fits on one of those.

Wish I could go, sadly I'm a bit too far away in England. But have fun guys

Tuesday the 8th? Hmmm. Possible in my case. Is this still a go?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Count me in! I've notified the San Antonio Astronomy Assoc. and expect others will come, too.

Count me in. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else that can make it.

Austin is a great place to have a meeting!
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

any objections to someone bringing a camera?
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    My face tends to break those things...

I have a special filter for such eventualities.

I'm too far for a visit too, but I hope you document the whole event and post lots of pictures for us fans from afar.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

You're an astrophotographer , for sure you'll bring your camera .

The Eternal Optimist

Hi Everyone,

Astronomy Cast and the Bad Astronomer his bad self are planning to have meetup for all you wonderful fans and friends out there who will be at the AAS meeting or who feel like driving to Austin.

The place isn't set in stone, but we're thinking may the Iron Cactus downtown (the bar and grill within walking of the convention center - Anyone in Austin willing to do some footwork? Checking out if the Iron Cactus has a room and making reservations or similar?)

Time is Tuesday at 8pm.

We'd love to get some general sense of how many people are interested. If you are thinking of going, can you please pipe up?

Cheers,
    Pamela
    Hey Pamela, Would really love to be there in Austin on the night, but the tyranny of distance may well prevent that from happening.....SO from myself, and other devoted Astronomy Cast listeners here in Australia, all the best and have a drink for us whilst your at it!
    Look forward to hearing the outcome on one of the ensuing episodes of A/Cast..........Love your work!.....keep it up!...1701 Dale...Canberra Australia.

Hey, this is Steve, I posted on your blog regarding my attendance. I live in Austin, but Neverfly sounds like (s)he has the footwork nailed down.

Neverfly, let me know if you need an extra pair of hands/feet.

I'll be back on the 3rd; it looks like and can help out too.

Hi Everyone,

It's on. It's the Iron Cauctus.

Here's some footwork that would be awesome for someone to do:
    - Balloons with little "Astronomy Cast" signs attached or something cooler so that people can find us in the bar.
    - Getting there early to claim space
    - Making the weather warm and clear so we can use the roof deck

If you want to get your own Astronomy Cast T-Shirt, you can get them on Zazzle here: http://www.zazzle.com/pd/find?qs=starstryder (fully customizable clothing with our logo designed for white or black apparel).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by multipath View Post
    Hey, this is Steve, I posted on your blog regarding my attendance. I live in Austin, but Neverfly sounds like (s)he has the footwork nailed down.

Neverfly, let me know if you need an extra pair of hands/feet.
    Nope, I was late to the game, I think, and PamelaGay seems to have handled it all already-

Hi Everyone,

It's on. It's the Iron Cauctus.
    But...
    Here's some footwork that would be awesome for someone to do:
    - Balloons with little "Astronomy Cast" signs attached or something cooler so that people can find us in the bar.
    - Getting there early to claim space
    - Making the weather warm and clear so we can use the roof deck

If you want to get your own Astronomy Cast T-Shirt, you can get them on Zazzle here: http://www.zazzle.com/pd/find?qs=starstryder (fully customizable clothing with our logo designed for white or black apparel).

Thanks!
    There's still stuff you can do

Hi Everyone,

Time is Tuesday at 8pm.

Cheers,
    Pamela
    Hi Pamela, Maybe after the meeting you can fill us in? Maybe a podcast or rough transcript?
    Happy newyear. Dan

Preliminary weather report for Jan. 8:

High 77 F
    Low 47 F
    30% chance of isolated T-storms during the day
    60% of showers overnight

If you plan on walking from the convention center to the restaurant, you might want to bring an umbrella.

Last edited by multipath; 2008-Jan-04 at 07:03 AM.

a drink,.. or three

Hi Everyone,

Time is Tuesday at 8pm.

Cheers,
    Pamela
    Reciprocating the sentiments from half a continent and a Pacific ocean away, have a drink,.. or three,Ö for us in the big brown land down under.

Terrific podcast, itís the something I look forward to every week, and thanks for not taking a break over the holidays, Astronomy Cast withdrawal, not pretty.

I'll be at the meeting, and will try and come to this meetup. Sounds like fun!

I am going to try to make it along with another avid Astronomy Cast listener. No guarantees though...

The head count appears to be now at 24: 14 here counting the big team (fab four master casters), 7 from Pamela's blog, and 3 that are with me.

Has anyone notified the other AAS (Austin Astronomy Society )?
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I've had about 6 emails since I posted info about it in Universe Today.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The head count appears to be now at 24: 14 here counting the big team (fab four master casters), 7 from Pamela's blog, and 3 that are with me.
    I posted both here and on Pamela's blog. Did you count Phil's blog?

Also, my directions link above was slightly incorrect. It's now fixed.

I have sent an email to the membership mailing list of the Austin Astonomical Society. I gave "info at universetoday.com" as the send an email if you think you are coming email address.