Thread: Holmes expands

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Holmes expands

Now I have three successive nights to compare. Eventually we should see the debris stretch roughly along the orbit as the stuff ejected forwards moves away along a higher/slower path and the stuff ejected backwards does the opposite. Shuttle water dumps do it, tidally disrupted globular clusters do it, unsuspecting dwarf galaxies do it - now here it is before our eyes. But not this week... (If it weren't getting late and me having to be up in six hours, I'd put some numbers to that. Later. Celestial mechanics are free to chime in.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ngc3314; 2007-Oct-29 at 03:20 AM. Reason: missed attachment first time

Nice progression. I've been curious if it will develop a tail but I guess it's too far from the sun???

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim View Post
    Nice progression. I've been curious if it will develop a tail but I guess it's too far from the sun???
    I was also wondering about this. Possible explanation:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser.../10775326.html

Future prospects. The comet is likely to stay bright for many days or weeks. The yellow color is dust reflecting sunlight, as confirmed by the spectra that have been taken. Dust is what keeps a comet bright as opposed to gas (comet gas is green and blue), which blows away quickly in the solar wind. This comet won't fade out soon.

Any tail will probably be short and stubby when, or if, it forms. The tail should be pointing nearly away from us in space we're looking down its length since the comet is nearly on the opposite side of Earth from the Sun. From the comet's viewpoint, the Earth and Sun are only about 15 apart, and this phase angle will stay small for many months. So we'll keep looking down the tail.

nice series - ngc3314...

Very nice photos NGC1314, What were your equipment used and dates?. Welldone and Clear Skies

Quote Originally Posted by JAICOA View Post
    Very nice photos NGC1314, What were your equipment used and dates?. Welldone and Clear Skies

The weather is staying good, so I'm still at it. (0.4m Ritchey-Chretien reflector at the University of Alabama observatory, SBIG STL-6303E camera, R filter, exposures 10-300 seconds lengthening as the main dust puff expands). Here's a series from Oct 26-30 local time. I suspect that the symmetry of the main circular outburst is breaking with the outline fuzzing out on one side. Each image section is about 15 arcminutes N-S (out of the 20x30-arcminute field of the chip). These are quick-and-dirty logarithmic displays, with only dark subtraction done beforehand (mostly because my schedule has been hectic this week, but at least the bits are on disk for more complete exploitation later).

Quote Originally Posted by JAICOA View Post

The weather is staying good, so I'm still at it. (0.4m Ritchey-Chretien reflector at the University of Alabama observatory, SBIG STL-6303E camera, R filter, exposures 10-300 seconds lengthening as the main dust puff expands). Here's a series from Oct 26-30 local time (between 0200-0400 UT each date, which will be one later than local). I suspect that the symmetry of the main circular outburst is breaking with the outline fuzzing out on one side. Each image section is about 15 arcminutes N-S (out of the 20x30-arcminute field of the chip). These are quick-and-dirty logarithmic displays, with only dark subtraction done beforehand (mostly because my schedule has been hectic this week, but at least the bits are on disk).

(Edit: oops, I tried to add the timing information and ended up with a new post. Apologies.)
    Last edited by ngc3314; 2007-Oct-31 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Adding timing information and messed up first edit...

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    The weather is staying good, so I'm still at it. (0.4m Ritchey-Chretien reflector at the University of Alabama observatory, SBIG STL-6303E camera, R filter, exposures 10-300 seconds lengthening as the main dust puff expands).
    Very nice CCD unit! It seems to favor yellow objects, too.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Can't fit them on one row any more, now spanning the nights of Oct. 26 - Nov. 1. Who'd have expected a full week of clear weather around here?

Tonight's imaging will be interesting - the athletic department asserts ownership of all nearby parking starting at 1700 the night before any home football game. Early in the night, though, we have a public event scheduled about 20 miles distant at a darkish site, which should acquaint many people with this eerie sight. The Birmingham newspaper ran the first four images on their front page today, which should be good for an extra crowd.

Sorry about the default orientation (south up, east left). That will get fixed along with flat fielding and stacking One of These Days. Or nights.

The Birmingham newspaper ran the first four images on their front page today, which should be good for an extra crowd.
    The article is great, too! Very nice. Was the comet a good or bad omen for your son's football game?

Can't fit them on one row any more, now spanning the nights of Oct. 26 - Nov. 1. Who'd have expected a full week of clear weather around here?
    Wonderful progression! Thanks for posting.

All I can say is ... WOW!

Great Images! NGC3314, And thanks for the info. Clear Skies

I am amazed at the continued brightness. As the original cone of ejecta, (which we are seeing from 'behind'),expands and becomes more diffuse one might expect a brief bright burst then gradual dimming but the shell like structure of the ejecta cloud seems to indicate further disturbances at the core. Thanks for the wonderful series.

Kind regards
    Matt

I got a look at it through my old C-8 tonight, despite all the porch lights for Halloween, it was clearly naked eye visible, and very impressive through the scope. Some of the later trick or treaters got a bonus through the eyepiece.

Outburs/Impact

Wouldn't an outburst/superoutburst/impact/de-lamination etc. have altered Holmes' trajectory ?

Can't help myself. Must keep imaging...

(Oct 27 - Nov 1, UT).

(Oct 27 - Nov 1, UT).
    Bravo

keep 'em coming....

many thanks for sharing

(Oct 27 - Nov 1, UT).
    Good, don't stop. These are simply marvelous! [Added: We'll make sure someone gets food to you. ]

Here is the JPL orbital plot and data which shows much. Using their 3d view, it appears the Earth is in a position that would minimize the apparent positions of both the inward and outward "puffs". [Earth's orbital direction is reducing our view of it, but we are in a position to see it, of course.]
    Last edited by George; 2007-Nov-01 at 06:06 PM.

Yeah keep them comming. Its been cloudy here for the past three days and your photos are keeping me abreast of the situation

More wonderful shots, thank you.

A beautiful serial set of the comet!, NGC3314 may you have clear skies. Keep on tracking.

A wonderful set. You have created a great study. And now as our orbital paths start to diverge, the halo is taking on a diffuse edge. We may yet see a 'tail' of sorts.

Kind regards
    Matt

Ten in a row, October 26 to November 4! The whole coma still fits on our detector, but I'll have to reprocess to get them in such a nice display with a wider field. As a special treat George is in town assisting tonight! He was just making some heliochromological comment about whether I should refer to the color of reflected sunlight as "yellow".

Is the magnitude still something like 2.5? I assume that it's still just about as easy to see as it was a week ago.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Is the magnitude still something like 2.5? I assume that it's still just about as easy to see as it was a week ago.
    To my eyeballs, it looks a little dimmer to the naked eye, but it is still easily a naked eye object, even with my mediocre suburban skies. It also looks a little dimmer to me in the binocs, but even in those you can tell it is larger. I have wondered if it looks dimmer because it is spread out over a bigger volume?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules