Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Clichés That Get On Your Nerves

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Or the corellary of the past ideas that seem unbelievable now...
    Should I point out that 'corollary' is misspelled? No - I'm better than that. I won't mention it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim View Post
    Should I point out that 'corollary' is misspelled? No - I'm better than that. I won't mention it...
    Why not? Wii've been doing this all day to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Why not? Wii've been doing this all day to each other.
    What do you mean wii sir? Oh, maybe just a wii bit.

Mine is when the aliens attack and they are automatically immune to everything that humanity can throw at them.

I have a feeling that the new transformers movie is going to be bad this way. The dont have to do much, but getting a 120mm APFSDS shot into you should at least be inconvienent.

Whenever you fly into or out of the solar system you *always* pass Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.

When the Borg first attacked Earth, I remember some character saying something about the "Mars defense post"

Quote Originally Posted by korjik View Post
    Mine is when the aliens attack and they are automatically immune to everything that humanity can throw at them.
    in my opinion, the point is drive home an idea which is very close to the hearts of most Hollywooders, that "violence never solves anything." See all those tanks and guns that you have? We told you they were worthless, and so they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Matherly View Post
    From my wife: The James Bond girl who is supposed to be scary deadly, but spends the entire film squeeling lines like "Oh James! Save me!"
    (The Spy Who Loved Me is typically the film cited as the worst offender. And she has to admit that this particular cliche seems to have fallen out of use in the last 10 years or so).
    Oh, it's not just in James Bond. Personally, I think Vicki Vale was a pretty serious offender, too. Ye Gods, she was supposed to have been a war correspondent. Can you imagine how many deaths she caused?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Mars Base

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    When the Borg first attacked Earth, I remember some character saying something about the "Mars defense post"
    I actual think a Mars Defense post would be useful. Sure, you are not always going to be "in the way" of an attacker. But some rough "back of the envelope" calculations suggest that Mars is at most going to be about 60 light-minutes away. And hour to renforce Earth at Warp 1 and about 10 minutes at Warp 2 (assuming speed = Factor^3 * C) seems pretty convient to me.

This is why in Babylon 5, Sheridan's Fleet had to neutralize the EarthForce Fleet at Mars Colony before jumping to Earth. If they hadn't, they would have been counter attacked by the Mars Fleet while they were engaged with the Earth Defenses.

That Star Trek reference was actually about a "perimeter", not a post.

So why not keep the Fleet at Earth and than it doesn't have to take any time to get here?
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

There is the dumb father/husband cliche, and all guys think about the same all the time.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Re: Movie Clichés That Get On You Nerves

Here's the problem with a "Mars Defense Post" (drawing NTS):

You just always attack from the equivalent of direction "A", each time taking Mars out of the equation.

That's for two dimensions. If the attackers are really advanced, they'll attack from above or below the plane of the Solar System, once again taking Mars out of the equation every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    Here's the problem with a "Mars Defense Post" (drawing NTS):

You just always attack from the equivalent of direction "A", each time taking Mars out of the equation.

That's for two dimensions. If the attackers are really advanced, they'll attack from above or below the plane of the Solar System, once again taking Mars out of the equation every time.
    A lot of the stuff in this thread I agree with, but I'm going to nitpick this one since according to memory alpha (no I'm not admitting to knowing of it's existence, I'm not that big a geek, honestly! ) the reference was to a " Mars defence perimeter" which could be acceptable if they were referring to a series of space stations or ships maintained in a sphere with a radius equivalent to approximately Mars orbit, something like that could quickly acquire the name the "Mars defence perimeter" to distinguish it from any other defence perimeters in the system, and would be as good a way of naming it as any (except maybe a numerical system starting from either the edge of the system or from Earth).

Great , I never thought I'd see the day I started apologising for Star Trek. I'm normally too much of a Star Wars fan but I like both.

Mars Colony

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    So why not keep the Fleet at Earth and than it doesn't have to take any time to get here?
    To keep Mars colony from being turned into a smoking crater?

Warp 2

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    Here's the problem with a "Mars Defense Post"
    Did you read what I said about Mars to Earth in 10 minutes at Warp 2?

One other cliche that the Bond films tended to be guilty of was the vast, sprawling but secret bad guy lair built under a volcano...or on a desert island, or in the Amazon Forest, or in space...but always somehow constructed, completed and paid for in complete secret, so no government knows of it's existence. Must just be a matter of paying off the right people.

A couple more:

Risking everyone on a ship/in a city/in the world on an almost impossible scheme to save one person. The crazy scheme works, and the person who almost killed everybody is congratulated for thier insanity rather than put away somewhere safe.

Along the same lines: Taking time to help an injured person, and talking as if it really matters, when based on the evidence everyone is going to die in about a minute anyway.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Whenever you fly into or out of the solar system you *always* pass Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.
    What? You've never taken the scenic route in any of your travels? If you're going somewhere far away, you might as well take in the local sites.

A movie I love is "The Green Slime". It is the first sf movie I ever saw at the show, and two things about the move I find amazing. The first is Robert Horton's indestructable, immovable hair, no matter what he does, no hair gets out of shape. And the fact that EVERYONE in the movie makes the wrong decisions.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    One other cliche that the Bond films tended to be guilty of was the vast, sprawling but secret bad guy lair built under a volcano...or on a desert island, or in the Amazon Forest, or in space...but always somehow constructed, completed and paid for in complete secret, so no government knows of it's existence. Must just be a matter of paying off the right people.
    They're available for rent in the Kim Possible universe.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Contractors. Ever seen Clerks?

oh, here's a good one - your enemy is always in visual range. This applies to space battles, especially star trek, but also applies to depictions of air-to-air combat. The first example that pops into my head was from Clear and Present Danger, where the Backfire bombers flight right over the carrier. In reality, they would launch their ordinance while still *way* out of visual range.

Actually, Battlestar Galactica deserves major kudos for making their bridge more like a CIC. The Captain stares at a computer screen rather than out a window. Star Trek occasionally used "tactical view" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Watcher View Post
    A lot of the stuff in this thread I agree with, but I'm going to nitpick this one since according to memory alpha (no I'm not admitting to knowing of it's existence, I'm not that big a geek, honestly! ) the reference was to a " Mars defence perimeter" which could be acceptable if they were referring to a series of space stations or ships maintained in a sphere with a radius equivalent to approximately Mars orbit, something like that could quickly acquire the name the "Mars defence perimeter" to distinguish it from any other defence perimeters in the system, and would be as good a way of naming it as any (except maybe a numerical system starting from either the edge of the system or from Earth).
    Yes, but the battle (such as it is) between the Borg and the "Mars Defense Perimeter" takes place at Mars, involving vessels that appear to be launched from Mars - just take a look at the picture on your link.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

To keep Mars colony from being turned into a smoking crater?
    Not to mention all the other extraterrestrial colonies, settlements and worlds?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Yes, but the battle (such as it is) between the Borg and the "Mars Defense Perimeter" takes place at Mars, involving vessels that appear to be launched from Mars - just take a look at the picture on your link.
    Point taken as far as it goes, that it is daft to attack from the direction of a planet (although the borg have rarely shown much in the way of tactics) but my point was more that their isn't a fundamental problem with the idea of a mars defence perimeter due to the implications of the term perimeter, and that I think Utopia Planitia shipyards are in the region of Mars so ships could have been resupplying there, which could actually explain the attack being actually at Mars since it would then impact federation ship production.

Mostly however I was tired enough to only skim read the article and not bother with the picture so the above is mostly a shameless attempt at retconning what may very well have been a screw up (especially since the 3d nature of space rarely seems to figure in Star Trek).

In an attempt to maintain some kind of semblance of adherence to the thread topic for this post:

How about the fact that spaceships always seem to be in the same orientation relative to each other (unless a "fighter" craft is deliberately rolling), for allies it's just about understandable, maybe for the purposes of standardising formations you could define standard orientations but if you just run into generic enemy number 255579 you'd think that sometimes you'd be upside down relative to them. As a second point to that : the lack of using the 3rd dimension in space battles.

The above may not be that common but I haven't seen many movies recently but those are the main irritants I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Watcher View Post
    ... As a second point to that : the lack of using the 3rd dimension in space battles.

The above may not be that common but I haven't seen many movies recently but those are the main irritants I can think of.
    It's not like 3d battling has been around a while... Only since WWI.

Khhhaaaan...

This one falls under the category of Bad Storytelling: the minor character who gets killed after revealing some sort of personal information in a poor attempt to make their death tragic. One egregious example is We Were Soldiers. When a member of the mortar crew told a reporter about his infant child, I knew he would die in as horrific a manner as possible. In a war movie, telling a reporter anything about yourself is suicidal, unless you're The Hero.

While I'm on the subject of war movies, it bothers me when every form of explosive detonates with the same ridiculous fireball (and without any flying shrapnel, dirt, etc.). Windtalkers is probably the worst offender. Even hand grenades exploded with a giant ball of flame.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter View Post
    This one falls under the category of Bad Storytelling: the minor character who gets killed after revealing some sort of personal information in a poor attempt to make their death tragic. One egregious example is We Were Soldiers. When a member of the mortar crew told a reporter about his infant child, I knew he would die in as horrific a manner as possible. In a war movie, telling a reporter anything about yourself is suicidal, unless you're The Hero.
    Along with what I always think of as the "I'll always be there for you" curse, I agree with you wholeheartedly on that one.

Along with what I always think of as the "I'll always be there for you" curse, I agree with you wholeheartedly on that one.

Nothing is as dangerous as being a black guy in a war movie. At least 90% of the time, you know he's going to die. Even Saturday Night Live mocked that cliche at least 15 years ago.

"We Were Soldiers" was based on the excellent book, "We Were Soldiers Once...and Young" that was written by the Harold Moore (the commanding officer of that unit) and Joseph Galloway (the reporter). That incident just might be true in this one case.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter View Post
    This one falls under the category of Bad Storytelling: the minor character who gets killed after revealing some sort of personal information in a poor attempt to make their death tragic.
    (Paraphrasing Mad Magazine's parody of "Top Gun")

Goose's Wife: What did my husband die of?
    Mavrick: Terminal Cliche. As soon as you and the kid showed up, we knew he was a gonner.
    Last edited by Matherly; 2007-Jun-08 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Karul kant speel

30. 2007-Jun-08, 08:51 PM
    Reason
    Trivial

(Paraphrasing Mad Magazine's parody of "Top Gun")
    BTW, is Mad Magazine still funny? I haven't seen one in 30 years....