Page 2 of 135 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Clichés That Get On Your Nerves

And of course, the aliens who used mentally controlled bio-armor had joysticks to fly their spaceships.

Not to mention having never invented even the most rudimentary military tactics-- if you have a giant laser(ish) weapon, stay in orbit and use it! Don't send down your "artillery" into attack range of Earth fighter planes! Don't send snub fighters to be conveniently shot down and analyzed! Don't have a single central computer controlling your defense shields!

--But of course, if they did that, there'd be no way for the heroes to defeat them just in time.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by davidlpf View Post
    How about looking into an eyepeice of a telescope and able to determine what is going on.
    Professor Farnsworth (looking through large telescope at the moon): Fry and Leela are in trouble. I ought to do something!....but I am in my pajamas (falls asleep)

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    And of course, the aliens who used mentally controlled bio-armor had joysticks to fly their spaceships.

Not to mention having never invented even the most rudimentary military tactics-- if you have a giant laser(ish) weapon, stay in orbit and use it! Don't send down your "artillery" into attack range of Earth fighter planes! Don't send snub fighters to be conveniently shot down and analyzed! Don't have a single central computer controlling your defense shields!

--But of course, if they did that, there'd be no way for the heroes to defeat them just in time.
    Yep. One of their city-sized ships brought down by a drunk Randy Quaid with one little air-to-air missile. What an embarassment for them. It's lucky they died because they couldn't return home to the laughter....
    Last edited by Tucson_Tim; 2007-Jun-07 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Typos

Hackers who type randomly for thirty seconds and say, "We're in!"
    Some of the 3D graphics used to symbolize them hacking.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The super genius that knows everything.

Here's a recurring theme: Hero gets himself almost killed by the bad guys (sometimes his whole family is also killed); hero gets better (sometimes with the help of a beautiful nurse); hero works out; hero kills all the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson_Tim View Post
    Here's a recurring theme: Hero gets himself almost killed by the bad guys (sometimes his whole family is also killed); hero gets better (sometimes with the help of a beautiful nurse); hero works out; hero kills all the bad guys.
    With the inevitable inspiring-music training montage while he's working up to the comeback.

With the inevitable inspiring-music training montage while he's working up to the comeback.
    Like in Team America: World Police.

The bad guy who comes back to life, usually in series or tv shows.

10. 2007-Jun-07, 05:02 AM
    Reason
    Trivial

Yeah! Also in those ridiculous Freddy/Halloween/etc. movies.
    And Friday the Thirteenth. Pure quality.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Gunplay that doesn't obey Newtonian physics, e.g. a gunshot into the bad guy sends them backwards, but the recoil won't knock the hero on their back.

Same thing goes for martial arts moves in movies that send the attacked flying across the room, but the attacker doesn't move in the other direction.
    Oh, and they get right back up after hitting said wall across the room at 40+kph.
    I agree with the other stuff you wrote but hitting someone is different to shooting a gun. Hitting a person is like hitting a tennis ball with a racquet - the racquet doesn't fly backwards. I have seen people fly away at various speeds and distances and the person doing the hitting staying put. The "opposite action" part of that equation comes before the hit when the person is winding up to make the hit in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    And Friday the Thirteenth. Pure quality.
    And the pinnacle of the series, Jason X, in which we get... Nano-Jason!

uuuugh...yeah....lets see:

Crazy guy with machete.
    Crazy guy with machete slices up teens, then gets killed.
    Crazy guy with machete slices up more teens, then gets killed....again
    Crazy guy with machete fights madman with knife fingers and an xmas sweater...
    and finally....
    Crazy guy with machete in space. The final frontier....of Crazy guy with machete....hahaha

My personal pet peave: hero can always smath thru a plate glass window without getting a scratch. I NEED to figure out what soap they must use..haha

-=Identity 4=-

The gunshot wounds or brutal beatings that are simply forgotten by the next scene, often to the point where the hero can beat up a dozen anonymous henchmen immediately afterwards.

(The most egregious example I saw was in the otherwise horrible Starship Poopers, I mean Troopers, where Denise Richards' character was impaled throught the shoulder with a roughly 3-4 inch diameter Bug claw, lifted up and dragged around by it, and then minutes later was literally throwing her arms around the shoulders of the male leads while smiling and laughing. Man, what painkillers they must have in the future...)

Sound travelling at the speed of light in a vacuum.

Technobabble being explained in terms of a simple analogy, to which another character invariably replies, "Exactly!"

You never want to the friend/mentor/pet of the hero in a martial arts movie. You will die or be beaten so badly you'll wish you were dead. This will inspire the sweat filled work out scene before the triumphant return, however. This was even done in the movie Ring of Steel which was a cage fighting type movie done with swords. The hero was an Olympic fencer. Great sword play in that one.

The hero will never be able to defeat the final bad guy through strength or skill alone. Instead, he uses quick wits or gimmicks, such as throwing a bit of chain at a leaking propane tank to cause a spark and blow up the bad guy. The Perfect Weapon, or get the bad guy in a spot where he gets electrocuted by the third rail of the train in Chicago, then gets hit by a train. Rapid Fire.

No matter how bad things seem, the answer can be found in a flashback.

Semi auto pistols do not click when they run out of bullets. The slide locks back and the hammer cannot fall. The only kind that do that are broken.

Save the dog! No, don't save the dog. Okay once. But the second time the dog leaps out of the truck in the middle of the lava flow, evoke the Darwin rule. We had a movie critic that was inspired by Dante's Peak to award a 1/2 star bonus to any film where the dog died.

An untrained person with a submachine gun will never hit a friendly. King Kong (remake), I, Robot.

Tom Cruise plays a cocky, young guy. (Thanks to the Amazing Jonathan for that one)

For a movie that had a character that was developed well, then was killed at a really unusual time, Deep Blue Sea. It was basically the step of the curb and get hit by a bus thing.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Every Steven Seagal movie ever made. We used to joke about the plots. "They killed his wife; again. They killed his child; again. They nearly killed him; again...."

Some of the 3D graphics used to symbolize them hacking.
    ...especially when projected onto the computer user's face in detail.

One that's bugged me since I noticed it while I kept my hair very short (sometimes called "bald" but not really) was that shaven or short-buzzed white guys are always trouble. If they're not racists or Nazis, then they're the guys who whip Jesus, or bounty hunters, or hitmen, or former soldiers who've gone renegade... Even in commercials that are supposed to be funny, bumping into a bald or nearly bald (and young) white guy is a symbol for accidentally getting yourself in deep trouble, because he's obviously going to attack the main character for bumping into him, because that's what shaven/buzzed white guys do.

The worst one of the "boy meets girl" variations y'all were talking about before is the one in which the perfectly good boy who's supposed to be the type that the girl wants, but clearly isn't since that's not the kind the girl really shows any interest in, ends up getting the girl anyway because she completely reverses herself in the end (for no reason and without real-world precedent). Like the thing about bald white guys, my irritation with this cliché could also be due to experience: I'm sick and tired of everyone telling me that what girls/women really want is a guy whose description happens to sound just like me, as if I couldn't see for myself how things really work in the world around me. I have a thing about being lied to (including on subjects where the truth they're trying to protect me from is actually OK in itself).

One of my biggest pet peeves include spy agencies that have hundreds of spy satellites apparently stationed over everywhere so they can instantly zoom in on and track the movement of cars (with resolution good enough to read license plates) as in "Enemy of the State" and "24".

Then there's the hero who gets shot in the chest, only to appear in the next scene wearing a magic sling that can cure everything.

Another is the lonely hero finally finds someone to love only to have her killed off a few minutes later.

Explosions in space, janking and banking like a fighter in a vacuum, dodging a ray gun that shoots at the speed of light - those are too engrained to ever get them out of science fiction movies.

Oh, did someone mention "I need a montage" from Team America? Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jacks View Post
    One of my biggest pet peeves include spy agencies that have hundreds of spy satellites apparently stationed over everywhere so they can instantly zoom in on and track the movement of cars (with resolution good enough to read license plates) as in "Enemy of the State" and "24".
    Oh, come now. They don't all depict that kind of resolution. Some of them use image enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jacks View Post
    ...dodging a ray gun that shoots at the speed of light - those are too engrained to ever get them out of science fiction movies.

I'm getting a little off the subject here. Sorry. But this dodging phasers is what Star Trek TNG is all about. Don't get me wrong - I love ST:TNG - but some of the episodes there are two parties shooting at each other with hand phasers and the beam flows across the room, slow enough to dodge, and then just makes a little black mark on the wall. Give me a 44 Magnum or an Uzi and you can have this little hand phaser!

And in Star Wars, as Larry references above, give me an AK47 and see if ObieWan can block every bullet with his light sabre.

UPDATE: Corrected the spelling of 'phaser', per NEOWatcher.
    Last edited by Tucson_Tim; 2007-Jun-07 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of phaser, per NEOWatcher

I'm getting a little off the subject here. Sorry. But this dodging fazers is what Star Trek TNG is all about.
    Why would you dodge one of our senior members?
    Besides, the actual spelling is Fazor.

Or are you talking about that "ph" thing that shoots lights.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Besides, the actual spelling is Fazor.
    Thanks Mom. I really hate misspelling made-up words that only appear in geeky SciFi shows.

BTW, is it always capitalized?

Stephen Fry you mean?
    Last edited by captain swoop; 2007-Jun-07 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

[quote]Don't have a single central computer controlling your defense shields![quote/]

Like on a nimitz class Carrier you mean? it can choose from any of the weeopns in it's Task force and engage an incoming target with the one it thinks best, even if it's pn a different ship.
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpf
    Tephen Fry you mean?
    Or the corellary of the past ideas that seem unbelievable now.
    I can think of ST examples of (paraphrased):

Spock: I believe they had something called a clutch. [Kirk then knows how to drive even though he's not very good]

Picard: Imagine flying with nothing to hold you up except a single propeller.

Tom Paris: (digging around in a found pickup) There should be keys in here somewhere.

The last one was particularly troublesome. Why would an abductee bother to put his car keys on the visor?

No matter how fast the Hero runs the Monster is right behind him even though it just shambles along.

Also no matter how far you run nad hide the bad guys is alwayas waiting. Like he is walking through a forest and the bad guy is up the exact tree he stops under out of the thousands close by.
    All Moderation in Purple

Like on a nimitz class Carrier you mean? it can choose from any of the weapons in it's Task force and engage an incoming target with the one it thinks best, even if it's on a different ship.

That's what the ST Enterprise needs! Some 21st century technology. How many times has the starship been damaged because someone didn't get the shields raised quickly enough?

2 more

From my wife: The James Bond girl who is supposed to be scary deadly, but spends the entire film squeeling lines like "Oh James! Save me!"
    (The Spy Who Loved Me is typically the film cited as the worst offender. And she has to admit that this particular cliche seems to have fallen out of use in the last 10 years or so).

From me: "Reset Button" storytelling. Or, as one of the Simpsons once said "I have faith that everything will return to exactly the same way it was at the beginning of today"

No matter how fast the Hero runs the Monster is right behind him even though it just shambles along.
    A Monster corollary: When there's a monster running loose, no matter what you have to do (usually in the darkest area of the building/ship/etc.), break up into small groups of one or two each.