Page 52 of 113 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 3388

Thread: Read that again?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    It was possible to underline in plain ASCII???!!! Really???!!!
    I had no idea.
    Not quite, but there was a convention some places of using _italics_ to indicate an underlined/italic word. Same convention also had *bold*.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    If they were in the basement or attic, you would have said
    "in the basement" or "in the attic", not "somewhere". You have
    a wife and kid, so you don't have any spare closet space. Yet
    you have room to store multiple old computers, including a PET,
    which I think takes up quite a lot of space. That means they
    are either in a farm outbuilding or in what has become a
    "storage room" in a big farmhouse with a lot of rooms.
    Ah.

They're in the core floor. I said "somewhere" rather than specifying because, coincidentally enough, I didn't want to have to explain what a "core floor" is - I had never heard the term until we bought this house a couple years ago.

What it is, basically, is a room in the lower level that is located under the garage. No windows, unfinished (plain cement walls and ceiling). It's, currently, a combination storage room and work room - that's where I've got my big table saw, etc, besides the shelves filled with storage bins and old computer equipment.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I've had (and still have, stored away somewhere) three different Commodore computers. An Amiga 500, before that a C64, and before that a PET.

Envy me.

(Did you know that the Amiga brand is still alive and still being updated?)
    I've got a C128 stashed away on top of the shelves in the garage. When we had a garage sale a while back someone actually asked if I had any old computers, but the heap of other stuff in front of the shelves (much of it from clearing out my parents' house) prevented me from reaching it so I could sell it to him. I'm working on that now.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

This "Read that again" comes from the photo/headline combination (See attachment). Screen grab from CNN/US News main page (but this will change probably before the end of the day, as it's always being updated.) Related story is here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L_File..JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	13793

Now I understand that stock photography is used many, many times for these types of stories. But really, I think they could have easily found a better stock photo than a man holding a child . . . to go with the headline "Lesbians File for Adoption." Now while the story is about a lesbian couple, it also is discussing the issue of same-sex adoption as a whole. So the photo could work, though then they should re-word the accompanying headline. It certainly made *me* do a double take.

Note: Obviously do not wish to discuss the article's topic here -- probably not appropriate on BAUT at all, but certainly doesn't belong in this thread about odd phrasing in publishing.

OT to Fazor: I love your sig line.

I'm going to repeat it here so future BAUTers will know what I'm talking about.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - T.A. Edison
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    OT to Fazor: I love your sig line.
    I'm going to repeat it here so future BAUTers will know what I'm talking about.
    "Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - T.A. Edison
    I saw it on some list of famous quotes and fell in love -- though it's slightly ironic for me to use it, as I have a penchant for being lazy and procrastinating.

Man Crashes Into PennDOT License Center After Passing Driver Test

Wait a second... He passed the test?
    The instructor inside Keller's vehicle has been credited for shifting the car out of drive and into neutral.
    [...]the driver appeared to be taking a test with an instructor when the car went through a window, sending glass shattering inside the center.

Easy mistake, the instructor probably said the same thing they said to me oh so many years ago; "Congratulations, you passed! Now go see the lady at the service desk and she'll get you your license."

I mean, it's not really the student's fault the instructor didn't specify to get out of the vehicle first. . .

When I was in High School, eons ago, I took "Driver's Ed". There was an insurance discount associated. The instructor was a tenured teacher who'd been found too incompetent to teach anything else. He was incompetent at that too.

The examiners actually came to the school to test the students. When it came to my turn, about 3:30 in the afternoon, the examiner said, "Congratulations. You're the first one to pass all day." I later learned I was the only one of the class to pass on the first try.

One of my classmates, on the re-test, had a minor problem on the parallel parking. Backed into the car behind and broke out the headlights. It was a State Patrol car. Belonging to the trooper in the car with her, giving the exam.

Thanks, NEOwatcher, for reminding me of this!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    One of my classmates, on the re-test, had a minor problem on the parallel parking. Backed into the car behind and broke out the headlights. It was a State Patrol car. Belonging to the trooper in the car with her, giving the exam.
    Probably not belonging to the trooper. I assume it belonged to the taxpayers. But funny story nonetheless.
    As above, so below

A current headline (link-text; article's actual headline reads differently) reads, "1 armed golfer plays for title" (minor side rant: why don't they bother to use headline capitalization for online headline/links?)

Now I know what the headline means, but I still couldn't help but read "1 armed golfer plays for title" and think to myself, ". . . rest cower in fear."

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Now I know what the headline means, but I still couldn't help but read "1 armed golfer plays for title" and think to myself, ". . . rest cower in fear."
    You're right, it really should read "One-armed golfer plays for title." "One armed golfer plays for title" sounds like the others had no guns.
    As above, so below

Regarding the side-rant, maybe they are trying to save space. Actually, the use of the "1" at the beginning of the headline is setting-off some grammar alarms in the back of my mind. It must violate some long-forgotten rule.

BTW: I have a lot of respect for the golfer, but find the following quote humorous.
    "If you don't have goals, it's hard to have something to work towards."

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Regarding the side-rant, maybe they are trying to save space. Actually, the use of the "1" at the beginning of the headline is setting-off some grammar alarms in the back of my mind. It must violate some long-forgotten rule.
    Oh it should certainly be "One" but I'll forgive that as a space-saving need. I believe we were taught to spell out any number less than one-hundred. Or one-thousand. I forget exactly which. And I think you should also spell out any number that begins a sentence.

Capitals, though, shouldn't take up more space. At least, not if you use a uniformly-spaced font.

At least, not if you use a uniformly-spaced font.
    Which you shouldn't, unless you're using a typewriter, writing code, or yearning for your Commodore 64.

I oft use 'Courier' or, more often, 'Courier New', though I suppose that's just out of nostalgia for type-writers. But really, even in a non-uniformly spaced font, the width difference between capital and lower-case of the same letter don't seem to make much of a difference for most letters.

"1 armed golfer plays for title" and think to myself...
    ...There's got to be a Caddyshack Gopher joke from that, but I can't think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    ...There's got to be a Caddyshack Gopher joke from that, but I can't think of one.
    You're a Caddyshack fan? Don't worry, your secret is safe with me, Ms Nesbit.

Yahoo Finance has a quiz with the following question:

2) How Many Credit Cards Do You Have?

A) 0
    B) 1
    C) 3 or more

Somehow I think that's not going to be noticed by anyone, especially with the way people treat thier finances.

Now; maybe it's not really a poll, and represent the top 3 answers of a previous poll, reported in a way to make you think. But; if it were a poll, I'd have plenty of nitpicks.
    1) B should be between... otherwise it includes A (and what happened to $10k to $15k)
    3) What about Discover?
    4) Medical? (and some rich people may spend most their money on extravegances)
    5) What do I answer for 8% (or any other)
    6) same as (1), except missing $30k-40k
    7) other independent savings plans?
    8) Surprise, that one works.

You're a Caddyshack fan? Don't worry, your secret is safe with me, Ms Nesbit.
    Even bad movies have good references sometimes...

I oft use 'Courier' or, more often, 'Courier New', though I suppose that's just out of nostalgia for type-writers. But really, even in a non-uniformly spaced font, the width difference between capital and lower-case of the same letter don't seem to make much of a difference for most letters.
    It's typical for most lower-case letters to be 20–40% narrower than their upper-case versions, but for displaying on-screen, that difference is probably lost when the font is forced to the pixel grid.

Oh, and I'm commenting not because I think the headline writer was trying to save space, but rather because I despise monospaced fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Somehow I think that's not going to be noticed by anyone...
    This isn't the first time I've been considered a nobody.

New city law requires bike storage space
    Kliegerman said that part of the increased demand is because there is a new city law that requires new construction to provide bike spaces for residents.
    Gee; I never thought I would have a use for a bike, but now that there's a law to provide space, I have a use now.

Didn't the demand spur the law in the first place?

There is increased demand for bikes because it has become less inconvenient, so for more people the scales tip towards getting one.
    There may well have been increased demand for other reasons before, which spurred the law, e.g. one caused by cars becoming too expensive.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

But this is a new law, and it only applies to new construction. So how can the law already have affected the demand?

I guess it could have possibly brought the idea of riding a bike rather than driving to the forefront of people's thoughts? You know, conversation about it getting more people thinking about riding? I don't know.

The Building Code of Australia put in place requirements for wheelchair access in all new commercial buildings, which created demand for spinal injuries.

It sounds more like they're trying to create incentive and opportunity, which is good. Just sound poorly reported.

Well, probably some of it is what Fazor said, that it just got people thinking about bicycles, but I think there's a little more to it than that.

Think about the word "demand." Requiring the rooms in new construction would not increase the demand for them in new construction - they're already there, so there's nothing to "demand."

However, that law could certainly cause people who live in existing buildings to decide they ought to have a bike room, too, and thus "demand" that their landlord provide one.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

"Demand" is often confused with "amount demanded," particularly in economics. All the time I see articles that say, "Once the price of XYZ goes down, demand will naturally go up."

What economists know (and many people don't) is that price doesn't change demand, only the amount demanded or purchased. If you're like me, you're allergic to cats, so my demand for kitty litter is zero. But if my grocery store offered kitty litter for 90% off, my demand for kitty litter won't change one bit. The store will likely sell more units (quantity demanded) but the overall demand for kitty litter remains the same.

Demand does change, but only due to more subjective things like tastes, income, peer pressure, etc.