Page 4 of 113 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Read that again?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Aren't most cars steel?
    I often accuse my g/f's Kia Rio of being completely void of metal.

Other than that, it's just the same old story; Good cop goes bad, ends up in Juvie despite the fact that you have to legally be an adult to become a cop in the first place. While in Juvie, said cop is minding his own business, carving a shiv out of soap and mouse dung, when out of no where he's run down by a teen driving a steele car. Story as old as time itself.

It's the "inherited" part that I am questioning. How do you inherit from two homosexual people. Doesn't it require heterosexual sex to inherit a gene from each participant?
    That is one of the sociological problems of gay intolerance. Often gay people try hard "not to be gay" and marry and have children because its "normal" (straight people get married and have children, right?). Needless to say, a homosexual doesn't stop being gay just because they're married with children.

So if there really is a genetic factor, so long as human societies force gay people to hide themselves in the general population, the general population will carry the recessive gene.

Connect two people carrying the recessives (whether gay or straight) and breed them in the right combination - and you get a gay child.

Quote Originally Posted by DyerWolf View Post
    That is one of the sociological problems of gay intolerance....
    In defense of my comment, I was questioning the wording of the article. Unfortunately, after 6 months, the link is going to something else.
    IIRC...the article talked about inheriting from the parents (plural). One, I can understand.

Wink NEOWatcher's Internet Law

Ah, nothing like professional journalism with thier spell checking and proof reading...
    If it doesn't already have a name I'm going to call it NEOWatcher's Internet Law:
    If you correct somebodies spelling or grammar in a internet forum, you will invariably make a mistake yourself.
    Corollary: Unless you are Gillianren, then you only screw up ever so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon Dayz View Post
    If it doesn't already have a name I'm going to call it NEOWatcher's Internet Law:

Corollary: Unless you are Gillianren, then you only screw up ever so often.
    Does this fit in with the new law?
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon Dayz View Post
    If it doesn't already have a name I'm going to call it NEOWatcher's Internet Law:.
    Well; I think I will decline that honor, because it has been around much longer than that.
    It's been around ever since non-professionals have been on the internet.
    Kids: don't try to write this at home...

Maybe, Maybe Not

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_ View Post
    Does this fit in with the new law?

I guess I never actually saw that expression in print.

every so often... every so often... every so often... every so often...

(I'll remember now.)

English!

In defense of my comment, I was questioning the wording of the article. Unfortunately, after 6 months, the link is going to something else.
    IIRC...the article talked about inheriting from the parents (plural). One, I can understand.
    np. I had a "doh" moment myself after posting. I read & responded to your comment without reading the entire string or even recognizing when your comment was originally written. Thus, my observation departs from much of the rest of the discussion, and is, unfortunately, untimely.

Oh well...

Cheers!

Here's one that sounds like a scene out of a Stephen King movie.

Man Crushed, Body Severed At Landfill Garage
    Figueroa was working alone and standing on the side of the truck between the cab and the main part of the truck when the remote arm crushed and severed his body.

Figueroa was working alone and standing on the side of the truck between the cab and the main part of the truck when the remote arm crushed and severed his body.
    "Severed his body"? From what?

ETA: After posting, I figured I'd better look up the definition of "sever." Def. no. 2 is "to divide into parts, esp. forcibly; cleave," so I guess it works.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Cervical cancer shots gaining reputation as painful
    - Cervical cancer vaccine gains reputation as most painful of childhood shots
    - Vaccine said to sting but most say pain is short-lived
    - Fainting also reported, but cause not clear
    - Gardasil is only FDA-approved vaccine against cancer-causing STD
    Ok; shots hurt, and maybe this one hurts more than others.
    But;
    I do remember a sore arm when I was a kid. And; how can you compare the pain of a childhood shot based on what an 18 year old, or college freshman is experiencing.

Now; what will happen if you give an 18 year old a shot for pneumonia* or Rhubella* or others? What's the comparison?

*not sure of the spelling

You got "pneumonia" right and "Rubella" wrong, which is kind of funny to me, but oh, well.

You know, I bet cervical cancer hurts a lot more than the shot.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

You know, I bet cervical cancer hurts a lot more than the shot.
    Perhaps they should do a study?

Mayor Uses Fire Engine For Lingerie Pics

Mayor Carmen Kontur-Gronquist created a stir with her MySpace page, where at one time anyone could see photos of her on one of the town's fire engines, clad only in a black bra and panties.
    Ok; poor taste, and I agree with her statement to the point of a private life...
    "That's my personal life," she said. "It has nothing to do with my mayor's position."
    Nothing? It's city equipment, and she was a city employee when it was done, and the mayor is ultimately the boss.

And; might I add that a public page on Myspace is not exactly a personal life?

And; might I add that a public page on Myspace is not exactly a personal life? I disagree with that statement. It's not private, but it's still personal.

Of course, I am of the opinion that my public officials should conduct themselves professionally in public. Besides, suggsetive photos of the mayor on FD property suggests some kind of unprofessional relationship with someone at said FD. Not necessarily, but it's not like the mayor has keys to the fire trucks, or keeps one at their house.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    And; might I add that a public page on Myspace is not exactly a personal life? I disagree with that statement. It's not private, but it's still personal.
    Well; it's all a matter of semantics, and I see you got my meaning and I understand what you are saying, but according to my dictionary:
    personal 1: one's own; private
    and
    private 1: personal; not public

Ah yes, but we love semantics here.
    My personal life includes my love of football, for instance. However, it's not private because I often talk about it, and wear team-specific clothing. Also, my personal tastes include a liking of Thai food, but it's not private because I don't buy said Thai food from the Thai resturant anonymously.

Anyway, stories like these seem to draw a lot of local outrage. When stuff like that happens, I tend not to be outraged, because she really didn't do anything illegal. But it would mean that I wouldn't be very likely to vote for her next term. And also would make me pay more attention to make sure this personal life isn't getting in the way of her abilities to run her office.

Anyway, stories like these seem to draw a lot of local outrage. When stuff like that happens, I tend not to be outraged, because she really didn't do anything illegal. But it would mean that I wouldn't be very likely to vote for her next term. And also would make me pay more attention to make sure this personal life isn't getting in the way of her abilities to run her office.
    I agree with that, but it leaves me with one open question.
    In a town of 500, it's either been kept very private/personal, or they know what she's like and they shouldn't say anything, or the choices are slim to none.

:Shrugs: doesn't concern me either way, she's not my mayor. Maybe she should be though...haven't gotten to see the pic.

More stupid lawsuits...

Inmate Files Lawsuit, Says It's 'Too Easy' To Escape
    A Colorado inmate who's escaped twice from a county jail is suing because he says it was too easy for him to break out.
    My guess is the other inmates might be making fun of him for getting injured and recaptured.

Well, that's a pretty pathetic quote...think that paper needs a new writing staff.**

I saw the headline but didn't read the article. But, since he's the inmate that the tax-payers money pays the jail system to keep out to prevent harm to our society (the theoretical purpose of jail)...then shouldn't it be everyone else who could sue the jail, but not the inmate?

An easy escape is nothing but a benefit to a criminal. I don't know of any sucessfull lawsuits that went, "You benefited me in some way. Now you owe me!" I think the judge should award him in the same manner, i.e. the opposite of the norm.

"We find the defendant guilty. The jail is hereby ordered to pay restitution in the ammount of three-months solitary confinement for the plantiff, aswell as daily beatings around the corner and out of sight of security cameras also to be paid to the plantiff."

Or the judge could order much stricter rules to make life even harder for the other inmates. I'm sure someone might accidently mention to them that these new rules are thanks to this guys lawsuit. Then I think justice would work itself out.

**Edit: since you fixed the quote in your post, I added this edit so I don't look like a jerk by insulting your post
    Last edited by Fazor; 2008-Jan-11 at 09:24 PM.

Hmm...a kilometer's not as long as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/080110-AP-tigers.html]National Geographic[/url]
    "I could never imagine that a tiger could so effortlessly leap from the ground on to an adult elephant's head, which is at least 12 feet (nearly 4 kilometers) above the ground,"
    National Geographic? National Geographic?!
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

They seem to have caught and fixed that error, it says 4 meters now.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

well, a tiger that can effortlessly leap 4 kilometers off the ground would be quite a sight! ...although, I wonder how it'd survive the landing? Maybe it's like a flying squirrel, where it glides stealthily back down to attack its prey from above. Neat!

well, a tiger that can effortlessly leap 4 kilometers off the ground would be quite a sight! ...although, I wonder how it'd survive the landing? Maybe it's like a flying squirrel, where it glides stealthily back down to attack its prey from above. Neat!
    So, basically, a drop tiger.

Reading this one...
    Track your pizza delivery on time
    I was thinking... pure gimmick or is there actual value here?... Then ran across this quote.
    ...says Christopher Muller, director of the Center for Multi-Unit Restaurant Management at University of Central Florida. "I guess they'll sell a ton of pizzas to people with no social life who are sitting in front of computers."
    Overall; not one of those "ooh cool" type articles. But, I think this part is usually the problem...
    Alas, a key part of the pizza's journey cannot be pinpointed: the drive from Domino's to your home.

Sweet just what I've always wanted...to be able to track my pizza progress from the oven all the way to the countertop! Wait, my mistake...I've never wanted that.

Generally when I order delivery, it's because I'm too busy doing something to actually go get food (which is faster and cheaper). So why would I order, then spend every second between phone-in and drive-out watching over my pizza's progress like a hawk? IMHO, file this one in the "We're doing it because we can, but nobody cares" category.

Here's one that interested parties will not only read it again, but read it over and over and over, and understand it well and discuss it with thier doctor, and...well...
    AIDS experts: Unprotected sex OK for some
    GENEVA - Swiss AIDS experts said Thursday that some people with HIV who are on stable treatment can safely have unprotected sex with non-infected partners.
    This story would probably be best initiated by a doctor treating that person...not a reporter.

Sorry I am still giggling uncontrollably over the mental image Fazor gave me of a tiger shifting back and forth, through the air "gliding stealthily down."

Anyway, it is basically this, if you can supress the virus to the point of it not showing up in a blood test, you can not pass it to someone else. I don't want to say anyone deserves contracting the HIV but if you contract it because your positive BF/GF said the newspapers said it was okay and you failed to check with a doctor first, you are at least a contender for the Darwin Award.

Here's one that interested parties will not only read it again, but read it over and over and over, and understand it well and discuss it with thier doctor, and...well...
    AIDS experts: Unprotected sex OK for some

This story would probably be best initiated by a doctor treating that person...not a reporter.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    ... I don't want to say anyone deserves contracting the HIV but if you contract it because your positive BF/GF said the newspapers said it was okay and you failed to check with a doctor first, you are at least a contender for the Darwin Award.
    Yes; but there are enough to be worried. Why else would a drug commercial say "Tell your doctor if you have...".
    And, I'm sure there are those rare few that say... I don't need to tell anyone I have it.