Page 12 of 113 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Read that again?

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    There's actually a note about that in my dictionary. It says basically that the use of "literally" as an intensifier has been common since the early 20th century, but is frowned upon.
    I don't think he's using it as an intensifier, though. He's using it because they are literally trying to get the work done "as the sun shines." It's just that only half the metaphor is literally true.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Poor needs a lack of something (from how I interpret the multiple definitions)
    Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poor]The Dictionary[/url]
    poor
    14. unfortunate; hapless: The poor dog was limping.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Different dictionary. I still use one with paper (Webster) because it's faster for me. It generally gives me definitions of proper usage rather than common usage. Although it looks like Webster has changed it since my edition.

Current CNN Headline: Gators, dead cows, keep families from hunting kin

Oh; looking for the missing.

Current CNN Headline: Gators, dead cows, keep families from hunting kin

Oh; looking for the missing.
    No, your first interpretation was right.

"Dag'nabbit Bobby! I'se done told y'all ter leave our sister alone. She's MY wife, not yerz!"

Lol...okay so, no one said anything about redneckery or inbreeding...but that's how it played out in my head. Live in a town like the one I'm in, and it's not that far-fetched of a scenario.

Survey: Wendy's Drive-Thrus Are Fastest
    Wendy's finished fourth overall for drive-thru service when other factors were considered, including how accurately orders are filled.
    Ok; now tell me how long it takes to get the right burger.

Survey: Wendy's Drive-Thrus Are Fastest

Ok; now tell me how long it takes to get the right burger.
    Heh, our Wendy's here is notorious for messing up orders. It's not if they're gonig to screw something up, it's what are they going to screw up. There's the additional problem that it's crammed on a lot that's too small to accomodate the building, parking, and the drive-through; the exit is right-turn only onto a busy 4-lane (2 each way) road, and turning right takes you away from the enterance.

Oh, and the exit is only one lane wide, so you can't very well sit and check your order without causing further back-up.

I think that lends to the probelm, as they drive-thru crew can get lax and still deal with a decreased number of complaints because it's too much of a hassel for a lot of people to go back and have it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Heh, our Wendy's here is notorious for messing up orders...
    I'm sure we can fill an entire thread with drive-thru stories.

I don't normally use them for various reasons. The biggest is that I don't go fast-food often enough to know what I want, or what's on the menu. So I need to linger and ponder before ordering.

I was more impressed at the spin on the story. Since Wendy's is an Ohio company, the locals seem to be bending over backwards for a positive story. HQ being near Fazor, I'm sure he's going to see even more.

Even our "ooh, bad" station has the identical positive spin.

Not to mention, they don't say how fast by how much, or how many drive-thrus are considered.

Oh; we can also throw this one in...
    The researchers also say the number of drive-thru customers has been declining at Wendy's, which tends to mean faster service times.
    In other words, window open, no waiting.

*Wendy's is? Wendys'? Arrg... sounds funny.

You know what I found sad? They recently (last year or three...or so) closed the first Wendy's ever opened... which was made sadder still by the fact that it was near the now defunct original COSI.

Granted the new COSI location is nicer and in a better area...but the sentimental value isn't there. Oh well, change happens I suppose. But I still fondly remember the field trips we'd take, followed by a trip across the street to the original Wendy's.

Is anybody else tempted to quote Leo Getz from "Lethal Weapon 2" here?

DNA fingerprinting could reveal your surname

Scientists at Leicester University, where DNA fingerprinting was invented in 1984, said they had demonstrated that men with the same surname were highly likely to be genetically linked.
    Uhm, ok. Why would that be doubted?

"In the study, scientists examined four famillies with different surnames. In nearly all instances, those who shared genetic links also had the same surnames. With the exception of one case, in which the subject's dna more closely matched that of a milk man, surname and DNA showed a very strong relationship."

See the attached thumbnail.
    This one's interesting. Incase the picture doesn't come through well, it's a small carton of orange juice.

The top flap says "Open" with an arrow pointing to the 'flap'.
    On the flap, it says "Please use straw hole".

Now, that on it's own just seems like "We're giving you the option to open like a traditional carton, but we prefer if you use the straw." Mildly funny.

Thing is, the other day I had one where I couldn't use the straw (the side of the carton was dented, and the hole was not punctured well enough, so that the carton just collapsed if you tried to press, and the amount of force required would have sent OJ airborne upon sucessfull "strawing". Very Leslie Neilson, if I do say so.

So I think, fine, I'll just open the flap. Wrong. It's glued in such a way that you cannot open the flap. Well, I could, but only with assistance from a sharp knife. It is in no way designed to be opened that way.

Which means the "Open" is just a way to get you to look. They might as well add "HA! TRICKED YA! NOW USE THE STRAW-HOLE, FOOL!"

Why put the "open" there if that's not a way to open it? *shrug*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carton.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	8836  

Which means the "Open" is just a way to get you to look. They might as well add "HA! TRICKED YA! NOW USE THE STRAW-HOLE, FOOL!"
    Well; I would put odds on the fact that it's a general purpose packaging design that they never pulled the word "open" from the printing.

But; the package is specifically scored for opening that end, so why overglue it?
    It seems like a 50-50 proposition either way.

Well; I would put odds on the fact that it's a general purpose packaging design that they never pulled the word "open" from the printing.

But; the package is specifically scored for opening that end, so why overglue it?
    It seems like a 50-50 proposition either way.
    You know what? I tried it on today's box and it did open flap-wise. I guess the one I had the other day was just defective. Oh well, "Please Use Straw Hole" is still a funny phrase.

I'm glad I don't vote in Virginia.

The State Board of Elections decided today to adopt a ban on clothing, including buttons and hats that directly endorse a candidate or issue.
    Comma after "hats," please!

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    You've got to hope they don't ban fig leaves, too.

That's one way to increase voter turnout.

http://www.wnbc.com/news/17777917/detail.html

The title is:

"Police: Suspect Steals Cash, Leaves Thumb"

ok, given that online headlines are often truncated, I read that as "....leaves thumbprint". But no, supect actually left thumb!!!

Then he didn't steal the cash, he just sold them his thumb without their permission.

Quote Originally Posted by tdvance View Post
    ...I read that as "....leaves thumbprint". But no, supect actually left thumb!!!

I saw that story earlier today and other things came to mind knowing how the media tends to warp things.

There were plenty of other things in the article that make me wonder what the looks on the various faces were.

So much is packed in this paragraph.
    About two hours after the robbery, a nine-fingered Perez went to an emergency room. Police found out about it, fingerprinted the thumb and transported it to the hospital for a comparison,
    Fingerprinted before custody? Now that's being efficient.

I think I found something that might be related. Maybe even a clue to the thumbless's accomplice.

Man Calls 911 After Finding Tongue On Sidewalk

Police said if the tongue proves to be human, they will likely appeal to the public for help on the case.
    I can see it now, police running around say "whose tongue is this, come now...speak up".

I can see it now, police running around say "whose tongue is this, come now...speak up".
    Man: "Ewwow? Powweeph? I Bewweeph you fouwn mah wounge!"

911: "Sorry Sr., you'll have to speak up"

Man: "Mah wounge! You fouwn mah wounge!!!"

911: "The fawn did what Sir?"

Man [frustraited] "Waaaaph!!!"

911: "Sir?"

<silence>

911: "...Sir? What's the matter, Sir? Cat's got your tounge?"

Man: "Nwo! You gwoph mah wounge!!"

Man:...
    Exactly;

Maybe these guys should take a print first so they have it for later evidence. (Ptooyee)

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    911: "...Sir? What's the matter, Sir? Cat's got your tounge?"

Man: "Nwo! You gwoph mah wounge!!"
    That shouldn't be funny. But it is.

Ho hum...eating contest gone bad...

Man dies after fast food binge
    Taipei - A man died just as he was about to win a university binge eating contest in Taiwan
    What was interesting though were some of the quotes. At first read they really sound strange.

"I can't say why he died," said Huang Te-hsiang, the university's dean of student affairs
    You don't even have a guess?

"He had been in the contest before. He was a strong guy."
    So... that should make him immune or something?

The graduate student, surnamed Chen, may have eaten too fast rather than too much, a campus publicist said.
    Is there really a difference?

Taiwan's education ministry has halted campus-based eating contests while an investigation is launched.
    Investigation? Is somebody implying that there was a wrongdoing here?

Well, they fail to answer whether or not he still won the contest. I mean, if I died trying to win something, I'd want to know whether my efforts were worth it.

(okay, so I didn't read the article. Did they say who won? )

Gee, food eating contests are rare....

I'm sure people die from them all the time...

Okay, here's a story from our local paper that struck me as weird. Maybe it's just me. (Could also go in the dumb criminals thread, but eh).

Basically, a guy stole a girl's cell phone. Some point thereafter he used it to take a photo of himself. Apparently photos are stored in a way that when the girl bought a new phone and transfered all the old phones information, the picture came too. She knew the guy, and they used that to arrest him for the theft. Okay, here's the things I thought were weird:

Walker is accused of taking the phone Sept. 28 from an 18-year-old woman who was lost and had gotten out of her car to look closer at a street sign.
    You have to get out of your car to take a closer look at a street sign? And further, you don't notice someone going into your car and taking something? Weird, but whatever. Then...

The mother says it’s sad that a phone would be stolen from someone with a disability. ...
    Ah! Well that explaines it. Might be more to getting in and out of the car, or whatever. Shame on him for preying on someone with a disability! ...but wait!...

... Ashlee Hutchins is deaf.
    What? So it's awful to steal from someone that's deaf, but it's not as bad to steal from someone who can hear? Maybe my opinion is moot since I'm not disabled (well, arguably not, though some wonder about my mental state), but if I had a handicap, this is the sort of statement that would **** me off. Special treatment that has nothing to do with my disablement.

Oh well, at least it explains why she didn't hear someone getting into her car to take something. "But why did she have a cell phone if she's deaf?!!" ...okay just kidding. A good friend of mine is a translator, and she and the deaf she work with use them all the time for the text messaging, in case anyone was wondering.

Deafness (and how would the crook know she was deaf? They don't typically carry white canes or anything) would make it easier to sneak into the car behind her back.

Quote Originally Posted by tdvance View Post
    Deafness (and how would the crook know she was deaf? They don't typically carry white canes or anything)...
    That would be my point.
    I see praying on a disabled person as a way of knowingly taking advantage of a situation which would make the crime more appalling. I doubt this crook knowingly knew the situation, so I see it as a normal crime (if you understand what I mean)

Lost, but in the neighborhood of someone she knew? What a coincidence. Maybe a friend of a friend, or she wasn't lost (or not very lost). It just seems a little odd for some reason.