Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Read that again?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Read that again?

Sometimes the statement just needs to be re-read or explained.

Like this.
    A [local] student at St. Mary School in Elyria received a state award Wednesday for winning the national missing children's poster-essay contest
    You get this award for winning an award.

I protest! Their award criteria discriminate against all the non-award-winners.

It takes awards to make awards

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wilson View Post
    It takes awards to make awards
    Gives an entire but quite appropriate new meaning to the phrase, a rewarding experience. Guess that girl had a re-rewarding experience once she went home to her state after accepting the National award.

Sweet. I've always wondered if there was an award for awards. You know, "Best Directing Award of the Year"

I forget where I saw it - a skit.. "The Award Show for Award Shows" - of course, I didn't understand it, never having watched an award show.

Here's a reporter with a good grasp of the english language.

A Record-Breaking Guitar Solo
    1,683 people showed up to play Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water."
    Solo?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Here's a reporter with a good grasp of the english language.

A Record-Breaking Guitar Solo
    1,683 people showed up to play Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water."
    Solo?
    Yes, but each of the 1,683 people played it in a different key, or at a different tempo, so it still counts as 1,683 solo performances.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Being reported here now
    COASTAL FLOOD WARNING in effect for :
    Ashtabula, OH CUYAHOGA, OH Lake, OH

Lake Erie?
    Per the weather channel definition...
    Coastal Flood Warning - land areas along the coast are expected to become, or have become, inundated by sea water above the typical tide action.
    Now what the local channel is saying:

...HIGH RISK OF RIP CURRENTS UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS
    EVENING...

NORTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 KNOTS TODAY COMBINED WITH WAVES OF 4
    TO 6 FEET WILL ALLOW FOR RIP CURRENTS TO OCCUR ALONG THE
    SHORELINE OF LAKE ERIE.

I thought they had cancelled this. Technically you can have more than one guitar playing the solo part. But the result is not a solo. But unless these people stood around only playing the solo (which i doubt) seems to me the headline is flubbed. So what else is new?

Here in Europe we used have a "Cup Winners Cup" in football, where all the cup winning teams from different countries used to compete to win the "Cup Winners Cup", and the winning team were the "Cup Winners Cup" winners.

Neat, so you guys get all the weather-related dangers of say, Florida, without all that pesky beautiful scenery to get in the way. Lucky dogs.

I remember when we were vacationing in upper-Michagen they had a rip-tide warning. One swimmer "bravely" (stupidly) defied it and swam out into the water. The tide grabbed them and slammed them into the jagged rock cliff that flanked the beach. It was the last "brave" thing they ever did.

[edit: on a completely unrelated side note: I also remember from that vacation that the "kiddie pool" that was next to the main pool in the lodge area had clearly painted "Depth: 6 inches. No diving." Even at age 10 it seemed to be a "well, duh!" thing. Although if there's a warning it means someone's probably done it in the past...]

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    [edit: on a completely unrelated side note: I also remember from that vacation that the "kiddie pool" that was next to the main pool in the lodge area had clearly painted "Depth: 6 inches. No diving." Even at age 10 it seemed to be a "well, duh!" thing. Although if there's a warning it means someone's probably done it in the past...]
    There's a warning because that "duh" someone was just smart enough to sue the pool maker... and probably won the suit.

Step by step, researcher looks for sexuality clues

Ok; whether you agree or disagree on the cause, it doesn't hurt to research. But this one got me thinking...
    ē Critics see no gay genetics, point to lack of inherited orientation
    If rare/recessive traits require both parents to carry it, then wouldn't that mechanism be logistically impossible anyway?
    So, if it were found to be genetic, it still wouldn't be inherited?

Beside; we should just rely on the poll... if 56% of Americans think that orientation is not learned, then it must be.

ē Critics see no gay genetics, point to lack of inherited orientation
    But...

Scientists at the University of Texas, Austin, say they have found the first strong evidence of a physical difference between lesbians and straight women -- a finding that the inner ears of gay women work more like those of men.
    (snip)
    Previous research has found that two parts of the brain are different in gay and heterosexual men. Other studies have found that some genes differ between gay and straight men.
    From 1998
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_ View Post
    But...
    From 1998
    It's the "inherited" part that I am questioning. How do you inherit from two homosexual people. Doesn't it require heterosexual sex to inherit a gene from each participant?

Homo/heterosexual

Step by step, researcher looks for sexuality clues

Ok; whether you agree or disagree on the cause, it doesn't hurt to research. But this one got me thinking...

If rare/recessive traits require both parents to carry it, then wouldn't that mechanism be logistically impossible anyway?
    So, if it were found to be genetic, it still wouldn't be inherited?

Beside; we should just rely on the poll... if 56% of Americans think that orientation is not learned, then it must be.
    The building of a human being consisting of billions if not trillions of cells from one cell is a mercilessly complex one. Many factors can play a role on how the little egg becomes a baby too, many of which we still don't know. I do believe that in the case of homosexuality something zigged where it zags in the heterosexual population. It's rather like lefty or rightie is decided in the womb. I believe this zigzag happens during pregnancy, because so many homosexuals report their feelings of being 'different' at such early ages, as early as they can remember.

Twins Sharing Body, Two Heads Die
    At first, I kept reading the title it as two sentences making the second one very strange.
    A set of conjoined twins with two heads, but just a single body have died in Indonesia five days after their birth.
    Has there ever been conjoined twins with one head?

Judging from what is coming out at the moment, it was designed for many casualties.
    Ah, well wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I haven't been following it except for the headlines. They caught me on a day where I really don't feel up to reading through CNN's [garbage].

I'm curious then as to why it was packed in nails. With a large explosion you'd generate enough of your own pressure/shrapnel, I would think. I guess when trying to kill as many as possible there's no such thing as "overkill".

Fortunately for Londoner's, there is a such thing as "underkill".

The Atlanta Olympic bombing used nails as shrapnel, didn't it? It certainly wasn't a single-intended-victim situation.

I think the intention of nail-bombs is not to kill, but to cause horrific injuries to as many people as possible.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    The Atlanta Olympic bombing used nails as shrapnel, didn't it? It certainly wasn't a single-intended-victim situation.

I think the intention of nail-bombs is not to kill, but to cause horrific injuries to as many people as possible.
    Yes, but it was a small back-pack device. THat's what I mean...how do you cover a bomb as big as this with nails? and by that point, why? Oh well, I'm no terrorist.

Scientists try to see back before the big bang

"It came as a big surprise that some properties of the universe before the Big Bang may have only such a weak influence on current observations that they are practically undetermined," Bojowald said.

KPRC: $100,000 falls off back of pickup

"You think that's a good way to transport money?" KPRC Local 2 reporter Elizabeth Scarborough asked.

"Well, ma'am, it falls out of armored cars, too," Roberts said. "The money is fully insured."
    Now there's someone that I would trust with my money.

eyyuup, gots no needs fer me to kip the tailgate up.

Lol, well when the insuring organization gets ahold of that quote, chances are they won't be too quick to write up a check. It may be insured, but that doesn't mean you don't have to execute due care in handeling.

I don't have a link because I saw this in a business brochure for a company I worked for years ago. But I'll never forget it:

"Three words your customers should never hear: That's not our policy."

Chef Under Fire For Serving Half-Dead Fish
    A Taiwanese newspaper said the fish dish includes a carp covered with sweet-and-sour sauce, its body deep-fried but its head still twitching.
    I wouldn't, but I really don't have an opinion based on Taiwanese culture.

Chef Under Fire For Serving Half-Dead Fish

I wouldn't, but I really don't have an opinion based on Taiwanese culture.
    I agree... too many of these animal rights groups seem to think that every animal on the planet should be seen as having the same physical and psychological makeup as humans and therefore believe that they should be afforded the same rights. It just ain't so...

Different cultures, different views...

But it's degrading to carp everywhere! Wouldn't you be insulted if some creature ate humans while we were still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    But it's degrading to carp everywhere! Wouldn't you be insulted if some creature ate humans while we were still alive?
    I am not a lobster... the neuro-development that humans have is far advanced when compared with a lobster. I worry about weeds screaming when I weed my garden and I don't wory that a lobster sees a boiling pot of water the way I might... Lets be realistic about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I am not a lobster... Lets be realistic about this...
    Well; knowing fazor's posts, this was purely sarcasm, and a fairly clever one since most humans are still alive when other creatures eat them?