Thread: $500 3D Fabricator

$500 3D Fabricator

And they use granulated sugar as the medium.

People's ingenuity never ceases to amaze...
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

"Hello World"

I dunno why, but it brings a smile to my face to see "Hello World" writen on toast.

*Sigh* I am such a geek.

Wow, I just read a Wall Street Journal article (or maybe it was in the NYT) about 3D printers, and the cheapest one's they mentioned are running $15,000 US. Some venture capitalists need to finance these guys--there's serious money to be made. . . .

I wonder if the "graininess" of the sugar models is similar to what the rough models look like from the more expensive 3D printers.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    And they use granulated sugar as the medium.

People's ingenuity never ceases to amaze...
    All I can say is SWEET!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Could they reduce the graininess of the stuff by using, say, confectioners' sugar instead, do you think?

I think the graininess is a result of the air-heat method moreso than the graininess of the sugar. I think with laser heat you could probably get better resolution, but the laser would defeat the projects "cheap 3d printer" objective.

Hm. Looking at this picture, I'm not sure if it's the grains or the gun.

I'm just thinking that by using air to heat the sugar, the natural diffusion of heat resulting from this method is what's causing the "graininess". Of course, in the article it does state that some lose particulate can be sanded off by hand and the underlying glassy sugar can be polished, would probably look much less grainy.

Does it? Well, I just skimmed the thing, so that'll teach me, eh? Nifty invention for sure.

It's a bit strange to me that they don't show any pictures of sanded models, though.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Does it? Well, I just skimmed the thing, so that'll teach me, eh? Nifty invention for sure. Well you still beat me; I tend to see a headline then make some comment and make a [monkey] out of myself by commenting on something I didn't bother to read Bad habits die hard.

It's a bit strange to me that they don't show any pictures of sanded models, though. Yeah, I was kinda dissapointed by that. They *say* it improves on the finished product, yet they don't show any photos.

I sent them an e-mail asking if they have any photos of sanded models. To be fair, they do say they emphasized volume/size over resolution.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    It's a bit strange to me that they don't show any pictures of sanded models, though. Yeah, I was kinda dissapointed by that. They *say* it improves on the finished product, yet they don't show any photos.
    Have you ever tried eating candy with sand or garnet grit stuck in it? And don't even think about wet sanding.

Here's an answer from Windell Oskay at Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories :

I haven't really worked at cleaning up any of the models, primarily because I just wanted to show what the machine produces as raw output. In any case, it's far from competing with commercial machines on the basis of resolution and precision-- we're doing pretty well in terms of size and cost.
    I still think it's pretty amazing!

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

I think I like the HELLO WORLD on toast product the best for several reasons:

1. I like french toast, and a few laser burn spots wouldn't faze me in the least. They'd even be a good syrup repository.

2. It's environmentally friendly. None of this plastic boo-hoo.

3. It's a lot cheaper than sugar (although, admittedly, it doesn't hold it's shape as well...).

Re: $500 3D Fabricator

As with everything else, it all comes down to granularity.

Now to get two of these machines, network them, then set one up with an original and the second as a slave modeler, and voila! a primitive transporter!

PS: Actually this has been happening for some time in industry with CAD/CAM/CMM (learn mode).

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I'm just thinking that by using air to heat the sugar, the natural diffusion of heat resulting from this method is what's causing the "graininess". Of course, in the article it does state that some lose particulate can be sanded off by hand and the underlying glassy sugar can be polished, would probably look much less grainy.
    They work at a resolution of 2.5mm 2.5mm 2.7mm (10109 DPI), due to the first draft stage of the nozzle and the need to get real models produced to a deadline.

The 3D model was pixelated to that resolution before feeding it to the fabricator.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain