Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Literary Quote Contest

I think it's Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes In Amber when Corwin is waking up in the hospital.

2. 2007-May-08, 04:07 AM
    Reason
    Trivial

SMEaton wrote:

I think it's Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes In Amber when Corwin is waking up in the hospital.

Not quite, but hot hot hot. Correct author, though.

Just including the word "Amber" ain't good enough? Dadblammit... "NPIA" didn't seem quite right (nor verifiable since I don't currently own any of the series), and so I'm stuck for the moment.

Before Amber.

Of course, he thought, he has finally looked upon the sunrise and been freed...

Jack of Shadows, still Zelazny

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

HenrikOlsen gets it. The games Zelazny played with words (and got away with). Baron Dreckheim. High Dudgeon. Loved it.

Your turn, Henrik.

Hah! Shows how much I know. Guess what I'm re-reading just now? The Great Big Heavy Book of Amber (well, it's the omnibus, with all 10 Amber novels in one volume; I don't think that's its actual title, but I think it's more accurate).

And I didn't recognise RZ's prose style.

... or as it's recently been renamed: The size of the latest Potter book Book of Amber.

That you didn't recognize his style was because he essentially forgot about the wonders of language in the Amber books except for brief flashes when describing hellrides and Luke's LSD trip.

And that it wasn't his prose style, it was his impressionist style.

Now for the next quote
    He pushed me to the ground, unto the leaves and the wrappers and the condom, and lowered himself on top of me. Then he raised his head, and opened his mouth, and ate my life with his strong sharp teeth.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

Whoa! I have no idea what the story is, but it sounds pretty hot.

The protagonist is male.

It's not Anne "I'm so deluded I believe I'm serious literature" Rice, is it?

Even if the protagonist is male, it's still pretty hot. Very sensual without being dirty, if you get me.

Train of thought from what Mike said... Poppy Z. Brite?

None of the above, though in a bilingual pun Paul did get part of it.
    The author is British (brite in Danish)

More quotes, the AI poll pushed this way back

From a different place in the story.
    I was only seven, but it was daylight, and I do not remember being scared. It is good for children to find themselves facing the elements of a fairy tale - they are well equipped to deal with these.

Is this one of the recent proliferation of vampire / werewolf supernatural fantasy / horror - type novels?

There's neither vampires nor werewolves in it, and just to prevent lots of false guesses, it's a short story.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    ... it's a short story.
    That puts me at a bit of a disadvantage, as I only rarely read short stories.

As an added hint, it's a retelling of an old fairytale, though no fae appears.

Not Little Red Riding Hood?

No.
    Actually I have to say I would have expected Gillianren to post the answer already, but I can understand not having time for everything.

Oh, Gods. Is it that Stephen King story where the kid meets the Devil? It sounds awfully familiar, but you're right that I've been distracted these last nine or ten days.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Can't be King, Gillian - he said it was a British author. And male, which rules out Angela Carter.

Neil Gaiman is one who springs to mind. Has he been mentioned? It's been a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Can't be King, Gillian - he said it was a British author. And male, which rules out Angela Carter.

Neil Gaiman is one who springs to mind. Has he been mentioned? It's been a while...
    Oh, right. I did say I've been distracted. It does also read like Gaiman--I think a lot of people would be amazed at how alike those two can sound sometimes.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Gaiman it is, now for the story.

I'll be without internet for the next several days, so in order for this thread not to die completely, I'll say Paul Beardsley gets the next quote for getting the author right.

Thanks, Henrik. Are you going to tell us the title?

Here's mine:

"As you wish, so be it."
    Spoken by the title character in this absolute classic.

You know, I pull this book off my so called 'bookshelf' every few years & read it. I don't know if it's the correct book as such, but I've got the Compleate Traveller in Black by John Brunner (who's Jagged Orbit I've read only slightly less often!). As you say, a definite absolute classic!

That's the one, Roy. A total joy to read and reread.

I might go on the discussion thread to talk about it some more when I have a spare few minutes.

Anyway, let's see what one you can offer, Roy.

ok, this one's about half a century old, but I'm hoping won't prove too hard:

Even as he stared at where she had been, {character} became aware of something going on furtively and silently around him. He looked round sharply and caught the hall in the act of emptying itself of furniture and rugs and pictures. They were not positively going, perhaps, but rather beginning to fail to be there.