Thread: Hey Toseek! An Internet Game Not For Kids Or The Faint Of Heart

Hey Toseek! An Internet Game Not For Kids Or The Faint Of Heart

I think I worded this safely for this forum. But with CrossCountry and Xylophobe mad at me for getting them in trouble with the mods a few days ago I'm a bit nervous.

Anyway, a friend of mine the other night showed me a game called "Google Seppeku". He has that download that allows you to type Japanese characters on your machine. (Need someone to tell me how to do that safely. Last time I tried to download foriegn language characters a couple years ago I got a bunch of viruses that hosed my hard drive.)

You play by going to Google image search, set it for no filtering, then type in random Japanese characters and hit enter.

Only the first page counts. Enter a different set of characters and do it again.

You score one point for each time you hit enter.

You keep going until you see something that makes you wish you hadn't played.

Apparently I got a fairly high score with five. The local record is seven, but that guy is a known sociopath.

(If I described to you folks what I saw that made me say "uncle", not only would I be banned for life, but Antoniseb would drive over to my house and shoot me in the kneecaps.)

I don't recall who's sig it is here but that, "Be very careful what you put into your head" quote came immediately to mind.

I'm not going to play it anymore BTW. The only reason I'm telling you all this is the same reason people go, "Oh man! This is aweful, here taste it!"

BD
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I must be doing something wrong as I didn't run into any trouble. I was having more of a time figuring out what I must have typed in to get the sets of images I ended up with.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Warning: Spoiler in link below

For those not game enough to try it out, the link below will take you to a page that describes this activity without exposing you to any unpleasantness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_...Google_Seppuku

I got to ten before stopping. Didn't see anything remotely bad. Just got bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam View Post
    Warning: Spoiler in link below

For those not game enough to try it out, the link below will take you to a page that describes this activity without exposing you to any unpleasantness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_...Google_Seppuku
    The surrounding Wikippedia material has some non-family-friendly material. You could have issued a warning for our younger participants -- or just skipped delving into this material altogether. Frankly, there isn't much to recommend its appearance, or the topic altogether, here.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Hehe, turn off Google's safesearch feature before trying

I did.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    The surrounding Wikippedia material has some non-family-friendly material. You could have issued a warning for our younger participants -- or just skipped delving into this material altogether. Frankly, there isn't much to recommend its appearance, or the topic altogether, here.
    For goodness sake, I was trying to warn people of a sensitive nature! I didn't read it all in depth, except for the article in question, so I don't know what material you are referring to. I take all due care in this kind of thing but cannot be held responsible for the entire contents of a website when referring to one article. That's what parents and guardians are for.
    Quite frankly I've found myself getting peeved at the amount of political correctness bandied about, so I'm just banning myself for a while.

PS - I've read the rest of the article and see your point but I hadn't read it before - only the reference to the game.
    Last edited by Occam; 2007-Apr-18 at 04:20 AM. Reason: addendum

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    That's getting on the edge of things that could be flagged by work site filters too.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Methinks think I should have just PM'ed you Toseek.

Wink

Uhhhh.....

Right, so does anyone have links to a useful Japanese input tool for Firefox so I can play this game?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Henrik.

Maybe Yuzuha or Jens has, they're from Japan.

Actually I found that using SC UniPad with it's kana keyboard I could type randomly and paste it to Google search.

Only time I sorta regretted doing it was when I got a page full of soccer links, you have to be seriously disturbed to like that stuff.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Wow, there is a wiki on it. So that's where he got it.