Thread: Computer?

Question Computer?

How do I get rid of an unused icon (and the associated application) in bottom right of the screen?

Can you give me a description of the icon and the associated program? Also, what operating system are you using?

3. 2007-Apr-15, 11:17 AM

Sounds like Windows & they are talking about the quick-launch icons next to the time. Those are applications that start when the computer boots up, and get in the way.

go to Run (in the Start Menu) and type msconfig and hit "ok"

then go to the Startup tab and uncheck anything you don't want to run until you ask it to. (There may be more than one program associated with it, so be careful)

It might be better to use a program like Startup Cop, which can "quarantine" a program so you can make sure the system works properly without it. If so, you can then remove it permanently; if there's a problem you can recover.

Startup Cop is (or at least used to be) available on shareware sites like Tucows.

Thoughtful software makers will ask during the installation process if you would like a quick start icon placed in the taskbar, sometimes called the system tray. Often, the quick start icon can be enabled or disabled from within the program, usually somewhere in the Preferences or Options section. (In OpenOffice, the quick start icon option can be found in Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org/Memory/OpenOffice.org Quickstarter.)

I usually only allow antivirus, firewall and sound adjustment icons in the taskbar.

Is it's a icon in the far right lower corner, it's a running process, and to remove it you really need to know what program it is, and whether it's safe to disable, and how you do that. Different programs are disabled in different ways, with some it takes the equivalent to a red stick with a burning fuse and the words ACME written on the side, with similar sideeffects if you get it wrong.

If it's a quick launch icon, just right click the icon and chose delete, nothing bad will happen, though you may have difficulty finding it again if you want to get it back

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Ok.
    I will tag along with this thread. I have questions too about my computer.Here in the office , Messengers are used but in the "silent' way. meaning we wont let out IT Admin know that we have messenger installed over our PC.
    Anyway, they've changed my PC to new one and I know this is silly, I tried to download again my messenger but , they have blocked it.

Umm.. is it possible on how to help me unblocked it.

Our IT hasn't implemented very well their restrictions and there are still others that are still installed and using Messengers in their PC, and unfortunately they changed mine so I got included with those that have been restricted.

I know this is silly. But.. you know what I mean.

I have the application file saved in my folder , and when I run it , at the end when the setup is already finish and ready for "RUN", there the pop message says "The execution command is stopped . Pls. contact your It Administrator"

Last edited by Whirlpool; 2007-Apr-16 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typos

Use web messenger?

even web messenger...

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlpool View Post
    Ok.
    Our IT hasn't implemented very well their restrictions and there are still others that are still installed and using Messengers in their PC, and unfortunately they changed mine so I got included with those that have been restricted.
    Unfortunately it seems that they implemented very well. From the error it sounds like they blocked the specific .exe file from running. You could try renaming the .exe file, but I'm not sure if that would do anything really (but it's an idea at least).

Remove the network cable connection on your machine. Do a file search for all files named *.pol . Delete all occurrences of this file. REBOOT and log in do not connect network cable yet. Try reinstalling messenger and attempt to fire it up. NOTE it will not connect because you have no network connection. Reconnect network cable and try to log in to messenger. If this works they are using Domain policies to restrict your ability to run the app. this may or may not work depending on how they have it running Wehn you reboot and log in again the policies may return and prevent you from using the app. If it was a local policy setup on your particular workstation it should continue working.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlpool View Post
    even web messenger...

Well, going along with Mickal's idea... Try going to the site with a different, unconfigured internet browser. For example: You are using IE (this may or may not be true). Download Firefox. When asked to import settings from IE, select "NO"(or a negative response). You should now be able to access restricted sites.

I tend to use this in the school library, where Firefox is restricted. HOWEVER, it will let me install it, and from the installer select "Run Firefox now". After the program has been closed, however, it will not let me start it up again. Therefore I have to go through the 2-2.5 min. setup procedure again. Yours may not even have the same problem.

Just try and play with different browsers, see if any of them have any loopholes in them. I have actually found that in the case of out school, it all goes through a proxy, and once the machine does not go through the proxy, it can access all the restricted sites.

Before you start playing around with all of these suggestions, you should remember that actively trying to bypass the security policy for the company could get you fired, for cause.

A better solution might be to convince management that Messenger makes you more able to do your job, and let them make it the responsibility of the IT Admin that Messenger works.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

Re: Computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tweefo View Post
    How do I get rid of an unused icon (and the associated application) in bottom right of the screen?
    Turn off your monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    Turn off your monitor.
    I could have suggested to Tweefo that he could solve his icon/program problem by reformatting his hard drive, but I didn't. That's how I am.

Re: Computer?

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    [edit]A better solution might be to convince management that Messenger makes you more able to do your job, and let them make it the responsibility of the IT Admin that Messenger works.
    Wait a minute! That recommendation is based on the assumption that IT will help the end user.

Next suggestion, please!

Other than a low-level format, that is...

No, it's based on the assumption that IT can be forced to help the end user by management.

Well, if nothing else works, you can always use a small piece of duct tape...

Hammer? maybe...

1. Take thy hammer in thy hand.
    2. Extendest thou thy hand.
    3. Rotatest thy body until thy hammer makes contact with thy monitor.
    4. And the monitor, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
    5. Repeatest thou these steps.
    Last edited by foreignkid; 2007-Apr-18 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added useless things