Thread: Teasing Octopi

Question Teasing Octopi

Does anyone know where the phrase:

Don't tease the octopus, kids!

originated from?
    Also, what does it mean?

PS: An internet search yielded almost no results. I can't believe Google failed me!

Quote Originally Posted by foreignkid View Post
    Don't tease the octopus, kids!
    Yup. Uttered by Ultros, one of the more pointless recurring villians in Final Fantasy III.

I'm not entirely sure which scene he says this in, but it may have been his first appearance, the battle on the river.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

I'm sort of curious to know if anybody knows "Curse those evil octopi" and its context?

Yup, he says it in the river battle for sure. It's right at the start of the fight.

He also has classic lines like, "They always said I was a slow learner...but I eat FAST!"

If you hit him with fire, he says, "Yeeeeeeouch! Seafood soup!"

When the little girl wants to paint him and starts crying, he says, "Oh, all right, Uncle Ulty REALLY wants you to do his portrait!!!"

A classic villian, to be sure!

Ok, so what about the phrase, "AAAGGGHHHH, klonict IpTuolum ParvartI?

It cracked me up when Ultros had to become a receptionist for the rest of his life.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I love the net, and messageboards in particular. When you need to know some obscure fact that you don't know where to look for you can almost always get the answer.

He also has classic lines like, "They always said I was a slow learner...but I eat FAST!"
    I remember that one.
    If you hit him with fire, he says, "Yeeeeeeouch! Seafood soup!"
    And that one...
    When the little girl wants to paint him and starts crying, he says, "Oh, all right, Uncle Ulty REALLY wants you to do his portrait!!!"
    When did that happen? I don't remember that one at all!
    It cracked me up when Ultros had to become a receptionist for the rest of his life.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Earl View Post
    When did that happen? I don't remember that one at all!
    It's when you recruit Relm Arronwy. After you save her from the burning house and leave with her grandpa Strago Magus, you all head out to a cave where there's rumored to be an esper to try (IIRC) to contact Madouin. Relm is left behind but follows anyway.

Ultros basically attacks, and Relm convinces him (by bursting into tears) to allow her to paint his portrait. He relents to stop her from crying. So she paints him. But that happens to be her strongest attack (in the first half of the game, anyway.)

This is like three or four levels away from the "intermission".

The receptionist thing is a non-violent encounter with Ultros at the Arena mid-late into the second half of the game. Ultros competed in the Arena (no doubt fighting as badly as any other time in the game), and placed losing bets the whole while. He fell into sufficient debt that he had to take a mundane job in the long term as Receptionist in order to pay it off.

Ahhh. I recall that now. Thanks for the reminder. Good old' FF3. I still remember the Christmas I got my copy. My aunts and uncles were very miffed that I didn't take to thier gifts that well. (Though I did smack my brother with a tube sock full of pennies and nickles...)