Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whatshisname

Careful there, Medusa

Speaking of medusa, any takers on the "how many years does a presidency age a woman" pool?

They've nailed it down that a term in office ages a man about ten years per term. I'm actually curious to see how well a woman holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    Speaking of medusa, any takers on the "how many years does a presidency age a woman" pool?

They've nailed it down that a term in office ages a man about ten years per term. I'm actually curious to see how well a woman holds up.
    It actually is an interesting question. I have certainly noticed that the office really ages men.

At least in the US, and I think in most of the Western cultures, aging in men and aging in women is looked upon differently. My wife always says that my graying hair makes me look "distinguished", but her gray makes her look old. She has her hair colored, I do not. Given that Hillary is 59, odds are strong that she dyes her hair. Bill's hair is gray. And this isn't politics, Senator Elizabeth Dole (just to pick someone from the other side) at age 70 has very brown hair.

I suspect that the Office of the President will age women as much as men, but that the effects will... well, let's just say, they won't be quite as obvious.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    And this isn't politics, Senator Elizabeth Dole (just to pick someone from the other side) at age 70 has very brown hair.
    Though, to be fair, so did Reagan.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Thatcher aged quite a bit during her stint as PM... but then, it was a pretty long stint.

Re: Whatshisname

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    Thatcher aged quite a bit during her stint as PM... but then, it was a pretty long stint.
    And, good for her, at the end of her service, she still looked distinguished, not extinguished.

She was wearing quite a striking hat at Reagan's funeral, I thought. I commented on it more than anyone cared to hear at the time.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    She was wearing quite a striking hat at Reagan's funeral, I thought. I commented on it more than anyone cared to hear at the time.
    She still ain't got nothing on Camilla...

I don't think Bill Clinton's hair was gray at the time of his first election. Neither was G.W. Bush's. But both became gray soon after. Stress from the job? Or did they just stop coloring it?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I don't think Bill Clinton's hair was gray at the time of his first election. Neither was G.W. Bush's. But both became gray soon after. Stress from the job? Or did they just stop coloring it?
    Stress. The job is a 24/7, on call, zero notice, half leader/half whipping boy position that is utterly relentless, endlessly critical, completely confrontational, and eternally under the microscope.

That kind of pressure on a body for 4 or 8 years is unadulterated Hell. Congress has it easy, with 534 possible scapegoats, you can get lost in the crowd. A President sits in that office pretty much alone. The Veep gets to play ringleader over 99 cutthroats who spend more time posturing with each other than stabbing him in the back, so even for him, its working in a shadow.

Well, and a lot of people become President at a time in life when their hair would be going grey anyway. Look at the average age of Presidents.

"You can't erase icing."

Maybe by then he will be "Madame President's ex-husband".

tbm

13. 2007-Apr-11, 11:39 PM
    Reason
    Offensive Politics

Noclevername, you've posted several things today that push pretty firmly against the rules of the board about partisan politics and religion. They're quite a bit stricter than you might expect from experience on other boards. You should take a few minutes right now and read the board rules carefully. They can be found in a well-marked sticky thread in the About BAUT forum.

You should probably consider editting this last post of yours in particular, there's a good chance it'll end up drawing a mod warning.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    there's a good chance it'll end up drawing a mod warning.
    Suspension actually.
    Forming opinions as we speak

i take it said post has been removed?

Because i can't see it

Yes, the post has been removed. Think tasteless Clinton jokes.

This is the second time Noclevername has delved into political comment. I gave him a warning for the first incident; I see Antoniseb has given him a seven day suspension this time.

(Hey, this drew the attention of three - count'em, three - Mods!)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Noclevername, you've posted several things today that push pretty firmly against the rules of the board about partisan politics and religion. They're quite a bit stricter than you might expect from experience on other boards.
    Actually, this is my first board. And yeah, I didn't even have time to edit my nasty comments before getting the boot (on my second day here!) Sorry, all, I'm not good at censoring myself; I'll try to behave. Say, did you hear the one about DELETED DUE TO INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT

<Tasteless political rant and tasteless political jokes removed by Serenitude>

LurchGS, this is an official warning. Do not post content like this again.

There are a lot of deleted posts here that has inappropriate content that might as well not be read by the others.

Our President here in my country is a lady, and we call her Mrs. President and his Husband is called First Gentleman.