Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Episode 28: What is the universe expanding into?

There is something called The Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) metric. It’s one out of many solutions of the Einstein field equations of general relativity, but it is the one that has been singled out over the years because it does the best job in explaining the observational evidence for the kind of expansion we see in the universe. This is one of the mathematical substructures you will have to wrestle with if you are to challenge the Big Bang theory.

As for the original singularity, Lemaître had this idea in 1931 of a primeval atom which was “a mass with a measurable size”. It kinda collapsed during the years to come though due to a combination of the gargantuan pressure of gravity and Einsteins theory of general relativity.

Hi I know I'm a little late on this thread but I've just started listening to the Astronomy cast. I find it very interesting but I think sometimes the Scientist contradict themselves.

1st Problem I have is that they say they can actually calculate how old the Universe is. Or said in a different way, how long the big bang has been expanding.
    Then, when they get ask "so what is it expanding into", They say it is a no-sense questions.

But we are asking because you said it is a certain age, 13.7 something Billion LYears?

When you look outwards (in all directions) you look back in time.
    13.7 billion light years away you hit the cosmic background radiation emanating from the big bang itself.
    Since there is no center of the universe, it doesn't matter which direction you look, you are looking at the Big Bang.
    (In that sense, in the observable universe, we are the furthest from the Big Bang, everything you can see is closer to the big bang than you are)

;-)

Peter