Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: comet McNaught 1/8/07

comet McNaught 1/8/07

Hi All.
    Here is a photo of comet McNaught from this evening. Dan Mckeel took this photo from his home in Pittsburgh Pa. He used a canon 300 D with a 300mm pentex lens. This is a single frame photo. 1/6 of a sec at 800 iso at F/5.

He sent the raw image to me and I cleaned it up using photoshop 9.0
    photofilter and noiseware. We hope you enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Paul - thanks for posting this! I think I may have seen it naked eye tonight while driving home. What I saw was a fairly bright glow, not a pinpoint light like Venus was to the upper left of this area. I saw it just after sunset and once I had a visual on Venus, thought perhaps it was Comet McNaught. Of course, I was driving 80 on the freeway at the time, and couldn't find a spot to pull off where I could get a camera photo. Maybe tomorrow night.

Clear skies!

Paul

Hi Paul.
    thanks. If you go to spaceweather.com it will show you when and where to look plus more. this is a great site. later Paul

Excellent shot paul!

keep up the great work!

Managed a good look at it on my way home from aberdeen this evening (Jan 9th) Its difficult to tell with photo's but I'd say it has brightened considerably in a day. Its a lovely comet.

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your thread but it seems silly to start a new one

Couple of pics I took about an hour ago from East Lomond Hill, Fife, Scotland.

Clearly visible with the naked eye and I would say overall as bright as Venus though more fuzzy and less intense. Not all my pics have come out well due to strong wind and a light tripod.

Canon D60, Sigma DL 75-300 zoom, 1:4-5.6 fully extended. Exposure 1/60 to 1/30. ASA 800. Pics cropped but otherwise unmodified

Nice pics both of you. I wish I could see this thing... damn typical BC weather (cloudy and rainy)

Lovely Pics.!! Thanks for posting.

Phil

Comet McNaught 01/09/07

Here is one of the images I captured tonight from a hillside park in West Hills, California shortly after sunset. I only had about 4 minutes from the time I first spotted Comet McNaught until it became lost in the evening clouds, then disappearing behind the foothills in the West Valley. Three wild ducks passing low over the mountain tops helped with the composition.

This comet is fairly bright, but the clouds were a definite interference Last night was clear, but I wasn’t able to get anywhere in time to take a photo. I believe I spotted it naked eye from the 210 Freeway, while driving around 80 keeping up with traffic, but couldn’t find a good area to stop and capture it yesterday. Bummer! Perhaps tomorrow night or early in the morning would be better.

Image captured at 5:25 pm, PST (Los Angeles area) with a tripod-mounted Canon 20D, 100-400mm Series L lens set at 400 mm, ISO 800, 1/90th second at f5.6. Image edited in Photoshop CS and cropped before posting in this forum.

Enjoy!

This is lovely, Paul! Great shot.

Phil

Nice one Paul. Love the composition!

It's a difficult beast, you need the clearest sky you can get, yet comet + clear blue sky looks boring. Then dramatic looking clouds come along and get in your way. Either that or you go for a good composition with nice buildings or trees in the mid ground but your window of opportunity is severely limited. Also freeways at rush hour do not make for good wind and vibration free conditions. lol.

I was going to try some dawn shots at the beach today for comparison but the weather had other ideas. Poot! - I think it would look good with a lighthouse in the frame!

Hi guys great photos of this comet. If any of you want to post your photos on a news web go to spaceweather.com you will find a link there that lets you. We went from sunny and 60* to cloudy/snowy low 30* in just 4 days. I hope it clears soon so I can try this comet. later Paul.

Pauls photo of comet McNaught

Hi Paul.
    I took your photo and cleaned it up. I used photoshop 9.0 photofilter and noiseware.

Nice work Paul. A great shot indeed.

Phil

Cleaning up the comet

Hi Paul - thanks! That's a great improvement over my feeble attempts with Photoshop CS, especially noticeable when viewing before and after side by side Guess I'll have to look into Photoshop 9.0 photofilter and noiseware. I have Noel Carboni's Astro Tools right now, and used one of those actions on my image, but I don't think there is any "photofilter" in CS by itself. If there is, I sure haven't found it yet

Clear skies!

Paul

Ok, I'm only just home with tonight's haul so excuse the 'rushes'. Conditions were much better, very calm so I wasn't being blown off my feet and I also used my rock solid platform on top of a stone gatepost instead of a flimsy tripod. Hence I could reduce the ASA setting to 200 to lower noise and increase the exposure to up 0.5sec. The first one has been reduced to suit the board, others have been cropped but otherwise as taken and converted from RAW without sharpening or noise reduction.

See what you think

The big picture about 1 hour after sunset. 0.5s

Detail of comet and tail to full size, a definite curve to the tail now.

An early comparison of Venus and the comet taken at the same setting to compare brightness (this was soon after they both apeared)

If anyone would like to play with them in PS etc, feel free. (Might be able to bring up the tail better with some additional contrast and reduce the colour saturation.)

Comet McNaught image

Very nice! Much better out of the camera than mine was even when I tweaked it a bit! Thanks for posting it.

Clear skies!

Paul

Hi Frogesque.
    very nice indeed. Well done

frogesque's McNaught comet

Hi Frogesque.
    Here is your photo with some color. I did not add the color I used photoshop 9.0 and photofilter to bring them out.

Fantastic images!!
    I was out last evening to look for the comet. Beautiful clear skies, no wind, a low horizon and a wonderful sunset. I saw Venus very clearly but NO COMET!. I was so disappointed. Seems to me that it is still not visible in the Southern Hemisphere. We are 34 degrees South. Anyone in Australia seen the comet yet?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by paul f. campbell View Post
    Hi Frogesque.
    Here is your photo with some color. I did not add the color I used photoshop 9.0 and photofilter to bring them out.
    Thanks for taking the trouble Paul. It sort of confirms what I thought, it's very faint to see but the tail does extend beyond the cloud layer which I could just make out with averted vision. Reports are it's still brightening but we are under storm conditions today so I doub't if I'll get a view this evening. Unless it turns 'daylight' Saturday will probably be our last chance here.

22. 2007-Jan-11, 01:05 PM
    Reason
    double post

When and where on the east coast of the US (such as Florida, where I am) can one see the comet?
    I know it's visible at either sunset or sunrise, but no idea what dates it can be seen during these times.

More nonsense! To settle a debate I took a moon shot (same scale) from last year and a comet pic from 10th Jan 07. Merge has been converted to greyscale and contrast enhanced. Answer: about 4 moon dias or 2 deg.

Great comet photos, guys!

Paul, how did you enhance the colors, if at all? I love the treeline.

You guys should send you photos to Spaceweather. Here's one in their gallery I really like from Poland - it's comet with a flock of birds and trees:
    http://spaceweather.com/comets/mcnau...7/Kaluzny1.jpg

These are all great images!! I cannot see this comet due to the fact I have high mountains all around me!

Tom

Hi grand Lunar.
    If you have a compass at around dusk or alittle before find due west and add 2* as frogesque has stated. It is sinking fast so if you have good weather dont wait.

Hi frogesque thanks your photo is great, that tail must be 15* long. Its cloudy here today and rain for the next 3. I hope some one else gets a photo and post it.

Hi Melusine yes there are some very nice comet photos here. Dan posted his photo that I processed for him on spaceweather.com I think some of the other guys should do so to. They are just as good as what I have seen posted there. Its hard to explain in a few words how I can grab the color out of a photo. I do not add any color to any images that I play with. I will make a list of how I do this and e-mail you.

Hi tom I hate it for you, that you can not see this comet. Not to be to overly smart---- Go climb a mountain Later for you all, be cool Paul

Wow! Those last few pix are exactly what it looked like through my binocs. The tail was very smooth and fan shaped. Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by Bokmakierie View Post
    Fantastic images!!
    I was out last evening to look for the comet. Beautiful clear skies, no wind, a low horizon and a wonderful sunset. I saw Venus very clearly but NO COMET!. I was so disappointed. Seems to me that it is still not visible in the Southern Hemisphere. We are 34 degrees South. Anyone in Australia seen the comet yet?

Phil
    Hey Phil,

I was checking this out yesterday ... The comet isn't viewable in the southern hemisphere until the 15 of Jan.

And everyone else .. GREAT PICS!! I'm jealous!

When I first observed C/2006 P1 (McNaught) on Monday evening it was far too windy to take any images.

On Tuesday evening, there was rain mixed with snow flurries at sunset.

Comet McNaught P1 was lower in altitude on Wednesday, of course, and was obscured by clouds to a much greater extent than on Monday so the viewing window of opportunity was quite short. My friends and I observed the comet through binoculars, my new 80mm f/7.5 Vixen ED80Sf refractor, and Tony Donnangelo's 102mm f/8 Takahashi FS-102 apochromat. I also took a few mediocre prime focus shots through the Vixen refractor using a Canon EOS Digital Rebel DSLR. It was windy again and bitterly cold so my hands were numb by the time I was done. I realized later that my exposures weren't long enough.

The western sky was overcast yesterday evening.

Paul,

Please feel free to work some Photoshop magic if it will improve any of these images.

Dave Mitsky

nice work Dave Mitsky! Given the conditions I'm surprised you got anything at all.

The UK has been battered by storms for the last 36 hours but I managed a quick sighting yesterday evening (11th.) Conditions were poor, very windy, squally showers with thick lower cloud and messy purple high haze. Even Venus was difficult to spot and if I hadn't known where to look I wouldn't have seen the comet. Pics don't show anything that contributes to the thread so I won't post but here's a link for interested diehards. http://frogesque.com/11jan07/mcn1.jpg. Possibly my last chance for an eyeball tonight!

For the moment though we can all relax and ogle at LASCO C3 untill our Southern Cousins get a view next week.