Thread: Mercury transit

Mercury transit

Hi all. At noon the skys were almost clear but a 1/2 hour later it was raining. I set up my scope any way around 2:15 pm and said a prayer. At around 3:00 pm there was a break in the weather and I was able to get off 5 quick shots plus I was able to show the work place Something they have never seen live. This all took about 15 min.

Out of the 5 photos this is the only one I deem ok to post. I hope you all enjoy Paul. I will try to enlarge this later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very sultry.

No doubt there will be a lot of images posted of the transit. I would be interested to see if anyone managed to get a really good close-up of Mercury. Here is my best attempt, at prime focus, at around 7:15am Adelaide time.

Hi Clop nice job thanks later Paul

I love that the images are inverted relative to each other. And the equator, I assume.

Is not the internet wonderful?

Great work guys. It snowed all day here. I didn't even get a hint of the sun.

Hey BBD Thanks, tell me its not snowing there already. How much do you have. Stay warm later Paul

Nice going to you both. I won't ask how the sun got so yellow.

I tried my Canon 30D using an 8" SCT as prime focus. Both the sunspot and Mercury were visible through the view finder. I got the sunspot but no Mercury. I think the wind shook me around too much.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Great work guys!!! I am proud of you!!
    I am sitting here in sunny warm South Africa but the transit was at 21:12 our time. Bah!!
    But I knew you guys would not disappoint me.
    You both got the sunspot as well.

Phil

Did you use the mirror lock-up feature? I've found that I need around a 4 second mirror lock-up delay with my Canon 300D to eliminate vibration blur caused by the motion of the mirror.

clop

I just watched the archived transmission of the transit from Kitt's peak and found it quite informative. The link is:
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/transit/

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by paul f. campbell View Post
    Hi all. At noon the skys were almost clear but a 1/2 hour later it was raining. I set up my scope any way around 2:15 pm and said a prayer. At around 3:00 pm there was a break in the weather and I was able to get off 5 quick shots plus I was able to show the work place Something they have never seen live. This all took about 15 min.

Out of the 5 photos this is the only one I deem ok to post. I hope you all enjoy Paul. I will try to enlarge this later.
    Hey Paul, great shot! I'm glad the weather worked out for you. I posted about this on the BA's blog. I was lucky to get home from a class at 4:15 so I rushed to get my PST out and caught the Sun before it dipped below my apartments. The only thing is, I see the opposite through the PST, but I like your photo very much - can I save it?

Clop, your photo is great too - the sunspot came out nice as well.

BBD, I could wear shorts today. In fact, I have some sleaveless dress-like thing on.

(Don't worry, I'll be in CT for Xmas, so I'll get my just dessert. )

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    Clop, your photo is great too - the sunspot came out nice as well.

BBD, I could wear shorts today. In fact, I have some sleaveless dress-like thing on.

(Don't worry, I'll be in CT for Xmas, so I'll get my just dessert. )
    I assume CT is not short for Cape Town!!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Bokmakierie View Post
    I assume CT is not short for Cape Town!!

Phil
    Ah, shame on me for thinking everyone in the world knows our state abbreviations - no wonder people think we have an attitude! That should be Connecticut...a nice, long Native American name, but not quite as hard to spell as its neighbor Massachusetts.

But you have African penguins over there...I saw some in Las Vegas behind the Flamingo Hotel...they don't do ice. ;-)

Great Shots to both, on capturing this fine momment. I will be submitting shortly.

well done both for these fine shots

I was clouded out myself

Hi all. Thanks. Melusine yes you may use it. George My solar filter is yellow it was made by Charles Galliger III. The tint of the sun changes from yellow to orange depending on which setting I use on my camera. Most of the time I use it in auto night mode. Again thanks.

Paul we had about 6-8 inches of the white stuff. It's here to stay til the spring. It can make for some pretty chilly evenings of star-gazing, that's for sure.

Melusine, sleeveless dress-thing? Sounds interesting!!

so nice sun and that (.) dot of mercury, very fine photo.

Quote Originally Posted by paul f. campbell View Post
    George My solar filter is yellow it was made by Charles Galliger III. The tint of the sun changes from yellow to orange depending on which setting I use on my camera. Most of the time I use it in auto night mode. Again thanks.
    It is an attracitve yellow. Since the sun isn't really yellow, and it's a pursuit of mine and others, I think of the yellow coloring of the sun as a "slang color". It is added for colorful effect [yep, pun and all].

...and Mercury isn't really black either.

Looking at the link in my signature, Mercury reminds me of the black monolith splotch that grows and takes over Jupiter in 2010 - the only redeeming part of that movie. Just a thought.

Penguins

But you have African penguins over there...I saw some in Las Vegas behind the Flamingo Hotel...they don't do ice. ;-)
    Lots of these little guys around! But they are an endangered species and Cape Nature is constructing nesting boxes on Dyer island close to us. Because way back such a vast amount of guano was removed as a fertilizer from the island, they have to lay their eggs in the open - a prime target for the gulls.

Here are a few pics

Phil

Another Mercury transit picture

Hi group - I don't know if this would be considered improper etiquette, since I've posted this picture in my first "Introduction" post in the "Off-Topic Babbling" arena, but here's my humble entry. I managed to get in only 9 shots right near the tail end of the transit (visible in its entirety here in the Southern California area), after herding about 185 school children past the eyepiece. I wish I had a solar filter for my newest scope, which is an APO. The shot here is the "best" that I could muster up using a $50 e-Bay special scope, with of course some help from Photoshop CS.

If it's in poor taste to post a second picture, although in a second thread, please delete this message and its accompanying photo.

Y'all have fun, now hear?

Great Image! Thank you for sharing.

Phil

...and Mercury isn't really black either.
    Neither are sunspots if observed without a the background. However, our eyes see them, sunspots and Mercury, asblack, but our eyes would not see the sun as yellow.

Thanks, Phil, for sharing those penguin pictures--such cute little buggers. It's good to see them being helped out.

AutoClub, that's a great image of the transit, and welcome to BAUT. I read your introduction post in Babbling, which was great, especially about the kids. Thanks for sharing, and 'hope to see more soon.

Thanks to all of you for your pix- each one is great in its own way. Its cool seeing pics like this or when I have seen the sun set and then a few degrees away mercury and venus in the sky- really makes you realise we are looking into the centre of the solar system and not just dots on a starry background.

I had a quick look a the transit, no time for any pics or even to see it move...

Great images on this thread guys