View Poll Results: Is it readable for the public?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perfectly understandable

7 63.64%
  • Kind of loaded but comprehensible enough

3 27.27%
  • A bit too much technobabble

1 9.09%
  • An alien language

0 0%

Thread: How does this read?

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here

How does this read?

I've made some modification to the intro page on nucleus to try and make it less intimidating. Does it seem like it seem like the public would be able to understand it well enough?

http://www.geocities.com/freedomforf...ci/energy.html

I voted "perfectly understandable", but this is not the same as "completely true". There is a statement that the nucleus is one hundredth the size of the atom, which seems dubious to me, especially if volume is considered rather than diameter.

Also, there is a suggestion (at least to me) that deuterium is an especially rare isotope, and that for that reason it has a name of its own. I think that deuterium has a name of its own because (relative to other elements than hydrogen) it is not a very rare substance, and because it is a rather important one.

There is also a suggestion that all tritium is artificially produced. I wonder whether that would be true. Perhaps it is true, but maybe you should make sure. It might turn out to exist in the Sun, or as a product of radioactive decay.

The nucleus is actually about a hundredth of a percent of the diameter of the atom, so a hundredth of the size is far too large.

I too voted for "perfectly understandable", although there seemed to be a couple of small errors. Overall, very good though.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 geek
    I've made some modification to the intro page on nucleus to try and make it less intimidating. Does it seem like it seem like the public would be able to understand it well enough?

http://www.geocities.com/freedomforf...ci/energy.html
    Graphs scare the hell out of me... And then when I look closer, they seem trivial.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here

Some more stuff

I have now replaced the old fission intro page with a pair of page, that really flesh out the details. I removed the fusion page because I realised that since I don't talk much about fusion elsewhere, it is kind of redundant.

Principles of fission The nuclear reactor

I also added a nice picture to the background of the index page of Bradwell nuclear power station near Southend-on-Sea, which my sister took for me when we went on a flight round that area. Unfortunately, the power station itself is hidden behind the table of contents. How's that for rotten luck!

BTW, I corrected that little factoid on the atom page.

It seems to me that when less than 10 people vote, it is not necessary to carry the percentages to the hundreths place. In fact, it is probably never necessary to do so since, even if ten thousand people voted, errors in data collection would render the last figure meaningless. If nothing else, a few would accidentally vote for something they didn't intend.

Anyway, I haven't seen any polls with more than a thousand voters on this forum.

Bob

As it reads now, it's comprehensible, though I think it is a little technical at times. But that should only prompt the curious reader to do a little more research.