Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Monique -- Clear your PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Candy
    I never got asked to my prom.
    Me, neither. But I was a total social outcast in high school.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Originally Posted by Candy
    Originally Posted by Monique
    Why everyone want my picture?
    IMHO, the water one gets kind of boring.

Maybe it helps if you don't look at it all the time
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Monique
    Lycée appear same as American High School. I think I am too old, no?
    I don't think it's unheard-of for a high school student to take an older significant other to the prom, but it's uncommon. But even then you're mostly talking about college age.

Permutations Multiply Scandalously...

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    No, that was a problem with the board - it's not an accurate figure. (I asked if someone could reset it, but no one has.)
    Oh, I see, thanks ToSeek

I took my 40 YO girlfriend to my junior prom- yeah, it caused a heck of a stir (midwest america, rural, farm community... ). But then, I never did spend much time between the lines

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas
    Maybe it helps if you don't look at it all the time
    I ain't looking at her, I'm looking at you.

Me, neither. But I was a total social outcast in high school.
    I don't know what I was... I was popular, athletic, smart,

and thug-related (older brother(s) and sister that just gave me no chance in heck to be successful). A guy told me years later that my older "thug" brother said he would kick their butts if they asked me out. My brother, Michael, who I idolized growing up as a punk kid AND STILL DO was the evil-sayer! He's a big dummy, but I love him. I'm glad for his intervention, I could be a child mom right now.

I left a good legacy for my younger sisters. Stefanie, which is a member here, is a good example. Kylie is an honor student, too. I feel so proud.

I asked the smartest guy in school, and he said NO to me.
    Your statement that he was the smartest guy in school is in direct conflict with your statement that he said no. Maybe the best grades, but not the smartest.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    Your statement that he was the smartest guy in school is in direct conflict with your statement that he said no. Maybe the best grades, but not the smartest.
    Swift, you putting on a move?

*Plays some Marvin Gay*

I ain't looking at her, I'm looking at you.
    originally posted by Nicolas in another thread, just minutes ago:
    I'm trying not to think of what would happen should Candy become a Moderator.

One out of three for me....

Must have been athletic.... *runs away*

Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Originally Posted by Candy

You were one out of three? Talk about schizophrenia!!!

You've got 2 billion personalities! Well, a little less when you were in high school of course...
    No wonder you post that much

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    Thank you. Matthew Slater, eat your heart out!

I love the pretty hair, you dork!

I call those I love a dork. Ask my sister.

HS was never a social problem for me. I disliked everybody (though not equally, I'm biased), with one exception - and I'm not gay (though he is).

It was in a college town, and a significant number of my classmates were college brats. They'd been (collectively) all over the world, just as I had (well, all over the country), yet they insisted on conforming to the local provincial outlook at the world. Drove me nuts.

---

It just occured to me - I tend to sprinkle parenthetial comments in my missives, almost as prolifically as a certain other poster uses commas. I wonder if that's a copyright or trademark violation...

I tend to do that. I also use a lot of commas sometimes, though only according to grammatical rules. I also use a lot of " ; " from time to time, as well as "- text -". In my bad days I use all of them, which makes things quite hard to read to some.

I know multiple users on multiple boards who use a LOT of commas in all places where they should and shouldn't be. Is that a common thing and is there an explanation?

This thread has served its purpose. Get on with your lives!

Jeez. Three pages, and all I was doing was informing Monique about her PM box being full.

...I love the BAUT.

Well some people like me have a hard time getting out exactly what they want to say, so they use comas to seperate their ideas, I did it too often at one point, but I think I am better now.

I haven't really noticed it for you.

But some, people, tend to, write with, commas, everywhere, but I don't, know, for what, reason, exactly, they do, so.

I know people who (sometimes) post exaclty like this example.
    What I tend to do when I feel I use a lot of () ; - - and the like, is trying to split things into multiple sentences.

This, is so, off, topic.

I tend to do that. I also use a lot of commas sometimes, though only according to grammatical rules. I also use a lot of " ; " from time to time, as well as "- text -". In my bad days I use all of them, which makes things quite hard to read to some.

I know multiple users on multiple boards who use a LOT of commas in all places where they should and shouldn't be. Is that a common thing and is there an explanation?
    I use the hyphen too.. though rarely the semi-colon..

it's quite common, and there IS a reason for it (mostly being discussed on another thread). For my money, though, "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" should be required reading for all english speakers.

Back in the olden days, before there was an internet, I happend to be aquainted with the editor of a college paper. It wasn't his politcal leanings or careless journalism that made his columns difficult to read - it was his utter disregard for grammar and punctuation.
    My mother (who worked at the registrar's office at the time) took him to task one day, in the student union. His response was "well, *I* understand what I'm saying, and that's all that counts". Mom's no dummy - her immediate reaction was "writing is a form of communication. if nobody but you understands what you are trying to say, you are not communicating, you are farting in the wind. You are not getting your message across, so you may as well leave that page blank". There was a rather surprisingly loud chorus of 'hear hear" from the other students in the area.

So, the gist is, people who don't observe at least some semblance of the rules of grammar don't care enough about you to make themselves understood. Instead, they put the onus of uderstanding on the recipient, where it does not belong.

and I've gone and got all long-winded on my soap-box again.

pictures?

I skipped my prom willingly. I've never regretted it.

I probably use too many parentheses. However, I know how to use commas properly, so there!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I have the habit of using ".... "all the time, does that bother anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Star
    I have the habit of using ".... "all the time, does that bother anyone?
    Yes..........

It does.............

A lot............................................... .......................

Okay, that's enough for me. I might draw a rabid Pac Man here.

"no"

I think the extreme use of commas has another reason than not knowing grammatical rules. It seems to be involuntary compulsive behaviour to me.

I'm not talking about some commas too much. But, really, using, commas every, two words, or, something, like that.

If people wonder why I type z instead of w and q instead of a sometimes, that's because I switch between azerty and qwerty too much .

I think the internet age and email have really had a negative effect on writing skills. Generally people write/type like they talk, when creating an academic paper you revise to make the grammar correct. When typing an email you just brain dump. Forums like this tend to be more conversational so they grammar degrades a bit. I have to work very, very hard not to type like I talk, which is full of run-on sentence fragments, with no discernable subject that spirals hopelessly off topic as I try and provide some background to my well thought out but poorly presented argument.

I avoided my prom junior and senior year, small town I hated everyone… as a sophomore however I went with a Norwegian exchange student who was way out of my league…

nice story.

We had a 99% (literally!) boys school, so probably that's why we did not have a prom . And probably that's why I always thought girls did not like me: there were no girls to like me .

lol

There IS a difference between professional and conversational grammar (not in the rules, but in their enforcement). In conversational grammar, and this forum qualifies, as long as you get your point across, nobody really minds. It may drive Monique nutso, but, to be honest, that's HER lookout, since this is an english 'speaking' board.

I, too, have to work very hard to not write like I talk (which is very fast and full of long pauses between times when people talk to me). I *generally* don't use run on sentences or sentence fragments because my parents brought me up to finish what I intended to say without gettig all wordy like a politician or.

Stay on topic! Stay on Topic! - Star Wars