Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meteor, clouds and domes

Meteor, clouds and domes

This is the view out my back door - well, sort of. While observing at the Spacewatch 1.8-m telescope on Saturday morning, Nov. 26 (or not observing in this case thanks to wind and clouds), I took this photo as part of a timelapse set. I caught a rather nice meteor to go along with the clouds and domes. From the left is the Spacewatch 36 inch (0.9-m) telescope, the Steward Observatory 90 inch Bok telescope and the KPNO 4-meter Mayall telescope. The clouds and domes are lit by the crescent moon (partly obscured by the clouds) & the lights of Tucson.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Breathtaking! Thanks for sharing that.

Wow!! Awesome shot and great timing!

Gorgeous shot.

Wow, just W - O - W!
    :surprised

Just had to say.... Nice work, man! The sunset and the clouds are beautiful...

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMoose
    Just had to say.... Nice work, man! The sunset and the clouds are beautiful...
    Actually, that's not a sunset, those are the lights of Phoenix as seen looking generally north from Kitt Peak. The clouds and domes are lit by the crescent moon mostly and a bit by the direct city lights to the east from Tucson.

BTW, thanks for the kind words everyone.

Jim.

Smile

Oh.Very Very Gooooooooooooooooooood.

It does seem exceptionally bright and yellow even for city light pollution--I can see how one would think it's a sunset.

It's a beautiful photo--that meteor is icing on the cake. Make a postcard out of it and send it to your friends! (I was thinking of how people could make astronomy-related Christmas cards, too.)

The photo is spiritual like. It gives me goosebumps.
    Last edited by Candy; 2005-Dec-09 at 07:13 AM. Reason: added verbiage

Re: Meteor, clouds and domes

Quote Originally Posted by jscotti
    Actually, that's not a sunset, those are the lights of Phoenix as seen looking generally north from Kitt Peak. The clouds and domes are lit by the crescent moon mostly and a bit by the direct city lights to the east from Tucson.

BTW, thanks for the kind words everyone.

Jim.
    It did seem a bit odd for an Arizona sunset to be taking place north of Cassiopeia.

Magnificent shot!

jscotti, have you contacted the APOD folks about that one? That's a lock.

Darn it, I tried to take a photo of what jscotti's photo reminded me of, but it is blurry. I snapped it from a calendar at work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

An absolutely stunning image. Congratulations.

JP

http://home.comcast.net/~minerjp/Astrophotography.html

An absolutely wicked shot, thanks for sharing it.

One of the best shots from earth EVER! Great Job!

Oh very nice photographs by candy, jscotti and morgan.amazing one.
    now there is no need for me to view from the telescope, the same i am enjoying very much on the screen, really cute images.

sunil

Quote Originally Posted by jscotti
    I took this photo as part of a timelapse set.
    Nice! What was the exposure time for that particular image?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bad Astronomer
    jscotti, have you contacted the APOD folks about that one? That's a lock.
    And Sky and Telescope!

Wow....

Stunning. Should easily qualify for Photo Stock worldwide.

you know practice makes man perfect, hence do not hesitate to take more and more images, the apercher can get a clear view, hurry is a problem while pushing in the button of the camera which may cause the raw-image or unclear image of the matter ( this happenes sometime but always it may not happen)

once upon one camera man starts the preparations to catch the full moon in his camera, but what happened later he got that he was forget to load a film in the camera.

Excellent picture! Hehe I think I found a new background.

stunning im taken for words

Such a meteor can be seen for only a very short period of time, right? Luckily you were taking a set of pictures, otherwise the chances for "catching" a meteor would be very low!

Truly amazing photo.

Did the sky really look like that (so many visible stars!), or has the picture increased light time wrt what the human eye sees?
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas
    Such a meteor can be seen for only a very short period of time, right? Luckily you were taking a set of pictures, otherwise the chances for "catching" a meteor would be very low!

Truly amazing photo.

Did the sky really look like that (so many visible stars!), or has the picture increased light time wrt what the human eye sees?
    I'm no expert, but my gut tells me that the "city lights" and clouds in the background were not as bright during the snapshot. The stars and domes were probably all he saw for photo purposes. The comet (and light effects) was just an added bonus.
    Last edited by Candy; 2005-Dec-22 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas

Truly amazing photo.

Yes, the meteor probably lasted only a few seconds. The exposure was 30 seconds long (24mm f/1.8 lens on my Canon 20D at ISO 1600) and I used the cameras burst mode with my cable release locked so that the camera continued to take 30 second exposures until either the battery died, the memory card filled or I went out and stopped it (the 3rd case this time). I also put together the whole sequence into an AVI file. The timelapse really shows how dynamic the sky is: stars moving around the pole, clouds moving across the sky, satellites zipping across the sky, lights in and around domes from flashlights or even cars driving by (even with just their running lights on).

Thanks to all for the kind words. The sky definitely doesn't look that way to the unaided and dark adapted eye. 30 seconds probably gets down to around 10th or 11th magnitude in this case and greatly enhanced all the ambient light, including the moon and city lit clouds and the city lights of Phoenix scattered off the sky above (Phoenix is not visible directly from Kitt Peak as Tucson is, but if you compare the dome of light over each, Phoenix' dome of light is almost as bright as Tucsons).

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer
    Excellent picture! Hehe I think I found a new background.
    I'm using it for my wallpaper on one of my computers....

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy
    I'm no expert, but my gut tells me that the "city lights" and clouds in the background were not as bright during the snapshot. The stars and domes were probably all he saw for photo purposes. The comet (and light effects) was just an added bonus.
    *cough* meteor

That shot truly is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by mickal555
    *cough* [I]meteor

jscotti your astrophoto is incredible, takes my breath away maaan
    thanks for sharing