Thread: Kuiper belt

Kuiper belt

Ok, so no doubt something like this has been done before, but since the merger, I figure it may be easier to start a fresh thread.

Whilst talking about the Kuiper Belt in another thread, a thought occured. Many people have made assumptions that the kuiper belt objects will be similar. Many have assumed that we're talking about objects in the same way that we discuss asteroids (Not that KBO's are the same as asteroids, but that KBO's are similar to each other).

I'm not so sure. We already know of objects many times the size of the largest asteroid, and have no idea if there is anything really big out there.

My question is this. How many people out there think that in fact the kuiper belt will be a lot more diverse than we have previously imagined. I think that due to the vast expanse of space that the kuiper belt takes up, there must be diversity far greater than previously imagined.

I am usually lacking in my research, and have no doubt that I'm not the first to be thinking like this, so is there anyone else out who agrees or disagrees and can shed more light on my theory, by either offering evidence for or against my position?

I expect that there will not be much diversity in the elements and molecules and small scale grains that KBOs are composed of (though some KBOs will be exceptional). They will vary according to size, rotation rate, how recently they've had their last big collision, whether they have satellites, etc. There will probably be some gradation of their chemistry based on whether they initially formed inside Saturn's orbit or outside. Some really big ones might even have thin atmospheres.

I doubt you'll see metal KBOs the way we see metal asteroids.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Their appearances vary greatly. Some are gray and some are very reddish. Originally they all were thought to be very dark like cometary nuclei, but now it seems some are very bright. In fact, there seems to be some sort of correlation between the object's size and surface brightness; largest ones like Pluto and the three newly-found KBOs are the brightest known trans-Neptunian objects. Varuna and 2003 EL61 are flattened or oblate due to fast rotation, Pluto and Ixion have large albedo variations. I don't know how much their compositions or densities vary. The Kuiper Belt is much more diverse than originally thought.

Hi Kallut,

many thanks for that, just as I thought!! Anyone else got any info to bring to the party?

Hi! Just wanted to provide a very interesting site knowned as the ( Kuiper Belt Page).

It contains tons of information related to the Kuiper Belt..............

www.ifa.hawaii.edu/faculty/jewitt/kb.html

Thanks for the link (argh frames!).

with regards

(argh frames) ????

Titana..........

Quote Originally Posted by Titana
    (argh frames) ????
    Some browsers don't handle frames very nicely. This website provides lots of information but has an index bar on the left and an information frame on the right. Good for some, bad for others.
    Forming opinions as we speak

(argh frames) ????
    Titana..........
    I don't like frames...

For that site, I really don't think frames suits it, shame for such an informative website.

with regards

I love that website. I've even pestered David Jewitt with a number of emails, and he's been kind enough to answer them all. I really wish he'd include a seperate article on 2003 UB 313 though...

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality
    I love that website. I've even pestered David Jewitt with a number of emails, and he's been kind enough to answer them all. I really wish he'd include a seperate article on 2003 UB 313 though...
    Dr. Mike Brown has a very informative and in-depth page on 2003 UB313: http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/p...ila/index.html

with regards

Thanks for your help, very informative.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by champion_munch
    I don't like frames...

For that site, I really don't think frames suits it, shame for such an informative website.

with regards
    I will keep that in mind the next time, sorry ........

Titana.......

Forgot to ask, is there any threads related to astronomy software? I really havent seen one.........

Titana........

Forgot to ask, is there any threads related to astronomy software? I really havent seen one.........
    Here's a recent one, and you can find more via searching certain keywords. There's also an entire forum section devoted to the subject on the CN board.

There's a nice list here, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    Here's a recent one, and you can find more via searching certain keywords. There's also an entire forum section devoted to the subject on the CN board.

There's a nice list here, btw.

Thanks Wolverine........

Titana

I will keep that in mind the next time, sorry ........

Titana.......
    No worries, any site like that is great to recommend, I just think he should ditch the frames.

with regards