Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31

Thread: JaVa..

  1. #1
    Guest
    <a name="2-12-08.asP"> page= 2-12-08.asP aka ESp
    So? No: MaYbe i did not do thIs WRITE
    1found a java 1.1 book & CD so i carried the 2 pounds
    more than two blocks {BWUW}
    3 I tried reading Ch1 =DAy 1
    and doing the excercise
    <a name="2-12-08.LaP"> line= 2-12-08.LaP
    http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/vi...&1#2-12-08.jaV
    7 7 the javac compiler compiled the HelloWorld.java
    into the helloworld.class scrip Which java could not find
    i DO NOT KNOW WHY i GET THE CANT FIND class HelloWorld message?
    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-12-08 12:41 ]</font>

    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-12-08 12:47 ]</font>

  2. #2
    Guest
    <a name="2-12-08.jaV"> page= 2-12-08.jaV aka Enforced Stupidity
    class HelloWorld {
    public static void main (String args[]) {

    System.out.println("Hello World!");

    }

    }
    ---- note this upload double spaces
    for reasons i do not comprehend but its
    not the 486 alone nor pHp but an interaction
    someway between THE two {maybe}

    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-12-08 12:44 ]</font>

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    30,109
    My recollection is that in order to execute helloworld.class you need to type in

    java helloworld

    in the same directory as helloworld.class. There is something in Java called a "classpath" that causes great annoyance when it's not set right, but it should be covered in your book. (I don't remember how to deal with it offhand.) However, I don't think you need classpath so long as you're executing in the same directory as your .class files.

    _________________
    "... to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson, Ulysses

    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ToSeek on 2002-12-08 18:08 ]</font>

  4. #4
    Guest
    <a name="2-12-09.hcs"> page= 2-12-09.hcs aka Hot Coffee Spill's
    On 2002-12-08 18:07, ToSeek wrote:
    1. Beware of this threads use?
    Shirley it will have M tele(pathy) & tele(K's) also
    3 i think the words Kenisis {after Kenetic Energy}
    {maybe}
    <a name="2-12-09.Lk1"> line= 2-12-09.Lk1 to?
    December 9, 2002 7:04 A.M. pst
    my guess as to why i have to chase after
    today in my computer 1.1 class path
    has to do with RegIsTration
    { I did register for winter }
    yeah at Police State {more ESp} shirley?

  5. #5
    Guest
    HUb's Winter 03 course Schedule
    <pre>
    --------for-----Tue--&---Thur---Location/loc/lo

    course sec Tit time
    test the water's with
    pe 180 4 PE 0800 PSC 116
    then do plim's for T. Newman Memorial?
    ANTH 103 1 Intro 1000 CIN 92
    take a long lunch break
    0 LUNCH NOON TBA
    and actully think?
    G 410 3 TOP: 1400 CH 69
    waltz around for access to Math computer lab
    MTH 252 6 CALC 1600 CH 221
    </pre>
    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-12-09 10:07 ]</font>

    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-12-09 11:33 ]</font>

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    700
    Hey, HUB': If having to be in the right directory in order to type "java HelloWorld" is as annoying to you as it is to me, try this(Assuming you have some relatively new version of Windows):

    1. Go to Start->Programs->accessories->system tools->system information
    2. In the resulting window, select tools->system configuration utility
    3. In the next window, select the environment tab, click on path, and click edit
    4. in the box, leave the textbox that says path alone, but add a semicolon and the path of your java.exe program(Note: no spaces)
    5. Click Ok and it may ask you to restart(I think it does but I'm not sure). Restart!

    Once you're back up and running, you can then just type "java WhateverTheHeck.class"
    Hope this helps

  7. #7
    Guest
    <a name="JD2452618.4:11P"> page JD2452618.4:11P aka From My 386
    On 2002-12-09 17:03, Pi Man wrote:
    Hey, HUB': If having to be in the right directory in order to type "java HelloWorld" is as annoying to you as it is to me, try this(Assuming you have some relatively new version of Windows):

    1. Go to Start->Programs->accessories->system tools->system information
    2. In the resulting window, select tools->system configuration utility
    3. In the next window, select the environment tab, click on path, and click edit
    4. in the box, leave the textbox that says path alone, but add a semicolon and the path of your java.exe program(Note: no spaces)
    5. Click Ok and it may ask you to restart(I think it does but I'm not sure). Restart!
    4:11 P.M.an? I glad to hear from YOU !!!|||:::
    once back at the 486 i'll rethink this
    For now though i'll Pas for the moment
    However this When I was connected this morning
    READING this thread ectory as helloworld.class. There ? 4:15 P.M. I thought I heard CW from the 486? more later in the A.M.

  8. #8
    Guest
    1. Go to Start->Programs->accessories->system tools->system

    information

    2. In the resulting window, select tools->system configuration utility

    3. In the next window, select the environment tab, click on path, and

    click edit

    5:42 PM 12/9/02 step 1 &amp; 2 above go OK.. however there exists

    no environment tab in my "System Configuration Utility"

    tabs ARE |General|Config.sys|AuX.bat|Sys.ini|Win.ini|Startu p

    SIX(6) tabs total ( I will at 7pm try this tail from A-Mac

  9. #9
    Guest
    <a name="2-12-10.D2M"> page= 2-12-10.D2M aka DOS2Mac
    On 2002-12-09 20:47, HUb' wrote: HUB
    1 well? that was strangely interesting?
    anyway {its 7PM tonight Maybe} not 2-12-9
    3 that was a iMovie .. So later for this transition
    "TIMING"
    <a name=".Lnk"> line= .Lnk

    7i began day 2
    class Motorcycle {



    String make;

    String color;
    ------------ but when i got to page 38
    it says "you'll get an error"
    nope never got that far sorry
    {now back to big numbers} & Pi to the Pi^i

  10. #10
    Guest
    public static void main (String args[]) {
    Motorcyclii m = new Motorcyclii();
    m.make = "Yamaha RZ350";
    m.color = "yellow";
    System.out.println("Calling showAtts...");
    m.showAtts();

    System.out.println(".............");

    System.out.println("Starting engine");

    m.startEngine();

    System.out.println("............");

    System.out.println("Calling showAtts..");

    m.showAtts();

    System.out.println("...........");

    System.out.println("Starting engine.");

  11. #11
    Guest
    <a name="2-12-10.Aa"> page= 2-12-10.Aa aka already alianated?

    1 I did find a way to prevent the double spacing
    of uploads .. by using debug and changing the normal "0D 0A"
    3 carrage return Line feed ?? to "20 0A"
    hoever i did not chane them all
    -------------------------------
    anywy i did attempt to enter Listing 2.3 of
    theach yourself Java 1.1 in 21 days second ed.
    but it does not even JAVAC to a.CLASS
    ============================================
    so yeah.. the sequence BASIC ? HTML ? JAVA
    seams to just increase the degree of complexity
    and looking at the appendix B
    Class Hierarchy (AnarcHI i'd call it)
    reminds me of some other programming language
    i manage some how to avoid.. maybe pascal?
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    for my part it looks like a FIND COPY PASTE
    kind of a language ?/? & mostly means you
    already undersatnd WHERE {in the UNIVERSity}'S
    Unix path structure to look for whatever your after
    ????????????????????????????????????????????
    as i recall it{never learned.it} it was root
    user local with a side trip into ect to find YOUR media {mines 360} so YES{}?NO{} i dont know My guess? 2 more weeks End on p80/700 day 4=W3 testing class= Boo2seakApie.Lemon

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    30,109
    On 2002-12-09 20:47, HUb' wrote:
    1. Go to Start->Programs->accessories->system tools->system

    information

    2. In the resulting window, select tools->system configuration utility

    3. In the next window, select the environment tab, click on path, and

    click edit

    5:42 PM 12/9/02 step 1 & 2 above go OK.. however there exists

    no environment tab in my "System Configuration Utility"

    tabs ARE |General|Config.sys|AuX.bat|Sys.ini|Win.ini|Startu p

    SIX(6) tabs total ( I will at 7pm try this tail from A-Mac
    If you're using an earlier version of Windows, you probably have to edit your config.sys file directly to define CLASSPATH at startup. I'm not enough of a DOS guru to tell you just how to do that, though.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    30,109
    On 2002-12-10 13:11, HUb' wrote:
    anywy i did attempt to enter Listing 2.3 of
    theach yourself Java 1.1 in 21 days second ed.
    but it does not even JAVAC to a.CLASS
    What sort of compile error are you getting?

    And, yes, the toughest part about Java is knowing what's in the libraries and how to use them. For an OO language, it's fairly simple, certainly much more so than C++.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  14. #14
    Guest
    <a name="2-12-11.con"> page= 2-12-11.con aka Config.Sys
    On 2002-12-10 15:41, ToSeek wrote:
    1 yeah i agree?
    its UNdoubtly in MY conFIG Sis wher I need to look
    3 I did call my Neice on the issue
    {well never Mind}
    <a name="2-12-11.LK2"> line= 2-12-11.LK2
    http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/vi...6&4#2-10-20.BB aka phpBB research
    7
    Anyway I took the Java 1.1 CD to the Mac
    clinic AND THAT {diversion} got me thru to
    all.Tv see link above
    -------------------------------------
    1.1 is already out of date$
    although it was an excellent diversion at Mc
    ======================================
    after the cd was ejected I did do a FIND {Mac Talk}
    for .java and did find plenty on the Mac HD
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    2-12-11 10:12 A.M. none of the 1.1
    ?.java that i tried worked so far
    except for helloworld did compile to .class
    ?????????????????????
    I noted on the Mac's that the files were 4 8 12 16 & 32K bytes
    as .java's I did not look for .class version..
    nor HTML It must go :.java:.class:.Html ?? so you get three files? from 1 line? 10:16 A.M.PST

    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-12-11 13:30 ]</font>

  15. #15
    Guest
    <a name="2-12-11.J1D"> page= 2-12-11.J1D aka JAVA1.1_DIR
    Directory of C:jdk1.1

    INDEX~1 HTM 2,497 2-18-97 10:42a index.html

    BIN DIR 12-08-02 7:36a bin

    INCLUDE DIR 12-08-02 7:37a include

    DEMO DIR 12-08-02 7:37a demo

    SRC DIR 12-08-02 7:37a src

    MYJ DIR 12-08-02 8:27a myj

    -----
    10:59 A.M. December 11, 2002 NOT WHAT i EXPECTED 2SEE ? REMOVED /

    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-12-11 13:56 ]</font>

  16. #16
    Guest
    hmm? still weak1 and i've about abandon JaVa..
    as workable 4me.. nonetheless i did seach in appendix B
    to see if there may be a worm hole into(onto)
    MATH.. and cannot help notice
    that page 701 "java.lang"
    has the $ecurityManager,
    along with Number, Process, &
    ClassLoader
    ------------------
    it
    was
    my impression
    (that it was in the math Dept)
    where the main security managers were deployed
    ============================================
    however it may easily have been a very false inpression
    ::::::::::::::::
    if i do move on, ON this topic..
    it will probably be along the lines of
    the directory {folder}
    structure, layout, hidden agenda, & HireAREcd's etc
    and sped less time with left & right Brackets {}

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    700
    Hey! I'm really suprised that the BA never locked this thread, so I'm replying to it! Now, look at my signature on the first reply to this thread. That's not my signature, and it only makes a smiley on the new board. This reply was made long before the new board was up and running. Wierd. I guess it's just a problem getting the new board to keep the old threads.

  18. #18
    Guest

    Java 0.0:0.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Pi Man
    Hey! I'm really suprised that the BA never locked this thread, so I'm replying to it! Now, look at my signature on the first reply to this thread. That's not my signature, and it only makes a smiley on the new board. This reply was made long before the new board was up and running. Wierd. I guess it's just a problem getting the new board to keep the old threads.
    Listen? 8/4 i've not give any Coffee stuff 1 thought
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    there may possibly be a off shoot story
    about a Guy whos last name just happens to be Coffee
    ===================================
    but that was a Saturday story
    ?????
    there may be one example on the a drive
    if i can spot it i'll put it somewhere below
    //tilt\\ ererps from a: drive below {maybe}
    &lt;A HREF="etr1.html"> ETR1 &lt;/A>
    HIt count &lt;img src="/server-cntr">
    &lt;SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    &lt;!--
    var d = new Date()
    document.write(d)
    //-->
    &lt;/SCRIPT>
    _-&amp; beyound anyway its my understanding that that ScripT above
    is Java and under proper athoratarian rulerereres
    returns a Christian date
    hit your ceiling thats my suggestion

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,171
    Just FYI:

    "JavaScript" has nothing, I repeat, nothing whatsoever to do with Java.

    "JavaScript" was Netscape's idea for a scrpting language you could embed in web pages. Originally, Netscape called it "LiveScript." When Netscape and Sun struck up a deal several years ago, however, the marketing powers-that-be decided to rename LiveScript as "JavaScript."

    Why? Because people at the time (read: marketing executives incapable of programming their own VCRs) thought of "Java" as some kewl thingy associated with kewl interactive webpages, so therefore anything that would make a webpage more lively/responsive/kewl ought to have "Java" in its name. :roll:

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,134
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer
    Just FYI:

    "JavaScript" has nothing, I repeat, nothing whatsoever to do with Java.

    "JavaScript" was Netscape's idea for a scrpting language you could embed in web pages. Originally, Netscape called it "LiveScript." When Netscape and Sun struck up a deal several years ago, however, the marketing powers-that-be decided to rename LiveScript as "JavaScript."

    Why? Because people at the time (read: marketing executives incapable of programming their own VCRs) thought of "Java" as some kewl thingy associated with kewl interactive webpages, so therefore anything that would make a webpage more lively/responsive/kewl ought to have "Java" in its name. :roll:
    That's not entirely true - while the guts of the whole thing are completely different - they still use similar structure &amp; naming conventions. Instantiation of Objects occurs in much the same manner, for instance.

    You are right though - there is a clear distinction between Java &amp; JavaScript - but they are not totally dissimilar.

    ... You sound like you are quite anti-Java?

  21. #21
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by freddo
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer
    Just FYI:

    "JavaScript" has nothing, I repeat, nothing whatsoever to do with Java.

    "JavaScript" was Netscape's idea for a scrpting language you could embed in web pages. Originally, Netscape called it "LiveScript." When Netscape and Sun struck up a deal several years ago, however, the marketing powers-that-be decided to rename LiveScript as "JavaScript."

    Why? Because people at the time (read: marketing executives incapable of programming their own VCRs) thought of "Java" as some kewl thingy associated with kewl interactive webpages, so therefore anything that would make a webpage more lively/responsive/kewl ought to have "Java" in its name. :roll:
    That's not entirely true - while the guts of the whole thing are completely different - they still use similar structure &amp; naming conventions. Instantiation of Objects occurs in much the same manner, for instance.

    You are right though - there is a clear distinction between Java &amp; JavaScript - but they are not totally dissimilar.

    ... You sound like you are quite anti-Java?
    NOT anti anything its just I dont have time for this at this time 8:31amPDT

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    30,109
    Quote Originally Posted by freddo
    ... You sound like you are quite anti-Java?
    Java is C++ for dummies.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Quote Originally Posted by freddo
    ... You sound like you are quite anti-Java?
    Java is C++ for dummies.
    Or somebody really cool and smart that want's to run his OO program on his Windows XP laptop, hil linux PC, his Unix mainframe at work, his friends computer that runs Solaris, his piano teacher's Mac, etc... The fact that it's easier than C++ is just a bonus!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Java is C++ for dummies.
    Except for that whole garbage-collection thing, which C++ doesn't have. (I don't know how many hours of my life I've wasted tracking down memory leaks in C++ programs.)

    And the replacement of that awful #include mechanism (which C++ inherited from the earliest days of C compilers) with Java's ADA-like mechanism of bringing in classes compiled in other modules.

    And a standard cross-platform UI class library. (The closest thing C++ has to this is wxWindows, which is woefully bug-ridden on the Macintosh still.)

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,134
    Quote Originally Posted by HUb'
    NOT anti anything its just I dont have time for this at this time 8:31amPDT
    Hehe - not biting at you HUb' - that was directed at tracer!

    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Java is C++ for dummies :wink:
    I know you're baiting me but what the hey...

    Horses for courses ToSeek. I would not try and write a game for a single O/S platform in Java, when C++ would do a better job (even though you can)... Conversely, I would not expect to write a web-based MMORPG (yuk) game in C++ when Java would do a better job...

    Also tracer made some good points of how Java is highly optimised - you can get a lot of work done with not much code (even compared with VBasic (also yuk). Due to the fact it borrows heavily from C++ and improves some of the concepts, it makes for a useful language.
    My only gripe with Java is the big one. Speed. That extra layer of compiling that takes place can be a real pain (although it would not be X-platform without it).

    There. Now look what you've done... Going and baiting me...

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    30,109
    Quote Originally Posted by freddo
    Quote Originally Posted by HUb'
    NOT anti anything its just I dont have time for this at this time 8:31amPDT
    Hehe - not biting at you HUb' - that was directed at tracer!

    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Java is C++ for dummies :wink:
    I know you're baiting me but what the hey...
    I worked on a project where I was managing both C++ and Java programmers while writing in C++ myself. So whenever I wanted to give one of our Java gurus a hard time, I'd tell her "Java is C++ for dummies."

    The project was actually good evidence of the strengths and weaknesses of both languages: We wrote the core functionality in C++ because it was real-time and communicated with hardware. The user interface was written in Java for the obvious reasons. If we had done the opposite - or used either language for both - it would have been far more difficult.

    FWIW, I'm writing in Java these days and am not unhappy to do so.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  27. #27
    Guest

    NO IDEA

    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Quote Originally Posted by freddo
    Quote Originally Posted by HUb'
    NOT anti anything its just I dont have time for this at this time 8:31amPDT
    Hehe - not biting at you HUb' - that was directed at tracer!

    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Java is C++ for dummies :wink:
    I know you're baiting me but what the hey...
    I worked on a project where I was managing both C++ and Java programmers while writing in C++ myself. So whenever I wanted to give one of our Java gurus a hard time, I'd tell her "Java is C++ for dummies."

    The project was actually good evidence of the strengths and weaknesses of both languages: We wrote the core functionality in C++ because it was real-time and communicated with hardware. The user interface was written in Java for the obvious reasons. If we had done the opposite - or used either language for both - it would have been far more difficult.

    FWIW, I'm writing in Java these days and am not unhappy to do so.


    WELL? so be it.. its an intereesting story
    IF you do follow this Against threads
    I am reminded by you phrases that
    when i was supposed to learn some PERL
    {part of a computer science class}
    the front row was dominated by a row of sharp chinese girls
    one day two uniformed police came into PCAT 110 and announced
    they "were looking for" some one in the room
    blocking both exits in the process
    TRuley my opposition hit the wall and i drop
    well I mean i guit goiing
    ------------------------------
    so back to this thread itself
    my 3 posts here sur get broken up
    and rather quickly
    ============
    in fact this has taken so long it may not even
    make it next to TNM
    ahh the very idea



    I have no idea{ Aug 8 9:24 am PDT}
    I just know that on that day (befor the said event)
    a sign in sheat had been past arround
    I sort of made an association of the 2
    and just never EVER went back to that class
    Computer Science { but I still use their sets Ocassionally}
    its a different "SYSTEM" than this one in CRAMER {CH147C09}
    I can look out the glass 2indow here at the empty park
    anyway on a {oh never mind } back to YELLOW tommorrow


  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,134
    Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    I worked on a project where I was managing both C++ and Java programmers while writing in C++ myself. So whenever I wanted to give one of our Java gurus a hard time, I'd tell her "Java is C++ for dummies."


    As I said - I knew you were baiting me... But ranting is soo much fun! =D>

    Quote Originally Posted by HUb'
    one day two uniformed police came into PCAT 110 and announced
    they "were looking for" some one in the room
    You mentioned something like this once before - is this the only time it's happened... And did they find who they "were looking for?"

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,171
    And what's "PCAT 110"? A class in using the venerable PC/AT with a 110 baud modem?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    30,109
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer
    And what's "PCAT 110"? A class in using the venerable PC/AT with a 110 baud modem?
    Knowing HUb', it's either the classroom or the course.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone had a problem updating their Java lately?
    By Glom in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2011-Aug-05, 10:24 AM
  2. Two Java Quakes
    By Blob in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-21, 03:18 PM
  3. Java Question
    By SpaceTrekkie in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2006-Feb-03, 01:09 AM
  4. BABB Java Chat
    By Charlie in Dayton in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2004-Nov-18, 01:27 AM
  5. Formulas & Java Applets
    By Tom2Mars in forum Space Exploration
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2004-Jul-17, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •