Thread: "The abyss" oops?

Big TV day on Fx "the abyss" followed by "Contact".
    Anyone got a copy of abyss at home? During the ending when Ed Harris emerges from the e.t. ship on the surface he is still wearing his deep diving fluid respiration "spacesuit". Was I seeing things or did it say "Ed Harris" on the front left chest. Clearly not the name of his character.
    Movie oops? [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: david bowman on 2002-11-29 23:44 ]</font>

Took me a while, but I figured it out--"Ed Harris" is the name of the star, right? [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

yep.[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Did you watch the Special Edition or the Theatrical version? The "TV" is the one that is 141 minutes long, the SE is 171 minutes long, featuring more character developement, and an expanded ending showcasing... awh, I'm not gonna tell you, just let you know that this is one SE in which the additional scenes make a very big difference.

I don't want to spoil the SE ending because most people I know have never seen it, either on Television or VHS/DVD.

(Edited to correct a grammar error.)

The Confused Philosopher - RCAF

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Shade on 2002-12-04 19:54 ]</font>

I loved the Abyss. Especially the special edition. They showed the special edition on SCI-FI a couple of years ago in full. The scene they cut out really should of been kept in.

I have seen the SE and I agree the cut scene should have remained in...it kinda covered a large part of the plot.

I think I have only seen the Special Edition of The Abyss. Could someone reply with what happened in the reinstated scene? Put in spoiler warnings of course. -Colt

Opposite of Colt, I've only seen the TV. I'm also curious, what scene did they take out of the SE, and WHY?

On 2002-11-29 23:37, david bowman wrote:
    Big TV day on Fx "the abyss" followed by "Contact".
    Anyone got a copy of abyss at home? During the ending when Ed Harris emerges from the e.t. ship on the surface he is still wearing his deep diving fluid respiration "spacesuit". Was I seeing things or did it say "Ed Harris" on the front left chest. Clearly not the name of his character.
    Movie oops? [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: david bowman on 2002-11-29 23:44 ]</font>
    I've not seen the name plate. If it contianed the name of the character, it would similarly be invalid. The SEALs brought it. It should have the name of the man assigned it or no name plate at all. (SEALs don't like flashy markings. Goes counter to their training.)

I have a DVD set with both SE and theater release. Personally, I prefer the theater release. SE was too much of "great wise aliens come to save us from our folly" - a premise I always hated.

Yep Valiant.
    Spoilers.

Is the SE edition where the aliens show him video clips of Hitler and nukes going off but then of him typing out his farewell to his wife?

Spoilers

There is also a Giant wave scene going for a large city (i forget which). At the last second right before it hits the city, the wave stops and reverses under the aliens controll. This is supposed to be the All powerfull aliens realizing that we really are not that bad.

I just yanked out the special edition on DVD from my collection:

I saw the delted scene. It was very dark and disturbing. But i have to say out of every movie i have ever watched it has to be one of the best scenes i have ever seen. The power of the scene and the emotion just stands out and grabs you. It is a very beautiful piece of work and should of been kept in. I tip my hat off the Cameron for that scene of brilliance.

Spoilers:

I want to correct my earlier post. They have a wave going for every continent in the world. Something like 1000 ft high waves going for all costal cities. Then just as it is about to hit, they pull it away. They were going to destroy the people because of war and the atrocities we have done, but decided not to because of the self sacrifice of Ed Harris in disarming the bomb to save the aliens. (well the last part is what i got out of it) But again, a very beautiful piece of work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2002-12-07 00:14 ]</font>

Yep, that is the thing I have saw. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The reason the Wave sequence was taken out of the Theatrical Version (TV) is that, at the time (1989), from an FX point of view, it was causing a lot of problems. In a test screening, the audience saw only unfinished FX work along with animatic drawings for uncommenced shots. What they saw of the finished wave FX didn't look so good. Their reaction was quite negative.

20th Century Fox executives interpreted this reaction as meaning the audience not liking the idea of a giant wave. When James Cameron (JM) was informed of this, he decided to remove not only the wave, but the entire sub-plot leading up to the wave, ie the news footage of world tensions building up, and Bud's (Ed Harris') extended conversation with the NTIs.

So, in 1989, what we were left with was a film that had 2 acts out of a 3 act screenplay. But it still worked; at least, it did for me.

In 1992, after the groundbreaking CGI work done for Terminator 2 (T2), JM decided to go back to The Abyss and finish the FX work for the wave sequence. It was released in a limited number of theaters, then on home video. I first heard about it in a magazine, and was looking forward to seeing it (I eventually waited for 5 years, when I purchased it on VHS).

I must say that I loved the Special Edition (SE) much more that the Theatrical Version (TV). Many questions about the NTI's motivations were finally answered, especially the water tentacle's interest in the nuclear warhead. Now, I have the DVD, with my choice of viewing. My only regret is that the film is not Anamorphically enhanced for widesreen televisions, but that's a story for another day.

(Edited to correct a grammar error)

The Confused Philosopher - RCAF

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Shade on 2002-12-07 10:08 ]</font>

On 2002-12-06 23:58, g99 wrote:

Spoilers

This is supposed to be the All powerfull aliens realizing that we really are not that bad.
    No, it was a threat: you humans should get your act together, or we'll just wipe you off the planet so you don't cause problems for us.

Don

I remember reading about the wave scene, and seeing a photo of it in a magazine when the movie first came out.

Back then J. Cameron gave two reasons for cutting it out of the film, the first being the film was running too long and some scenes had to be cut out. The second reason was that he felt it made the aliens look to menacing, and the audience might then be rooting for them to be nuked.

I saw it at the show, thought it was one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, but have had no interest in seeing it since then. I really don't know why, I don't dislike the film, but it just didn't do anything for me.
    I do like how they filmed it in the cooling ponds of the cooling towers of a un-used nuclear power plant.

David.