Thread: Dum telescope question

Can anyone give me an idea what i might expect to see in the sky (hertfordshire) with an etx 125? Will saturn just be a white dot or will there be detail, could i see its rings, could i see jupiter? how large would it appear? again, a white dot or the size of a 10p piece or larger. I dont want to buy a scope and find all i can see are white pin pricks of light !!

Thank you

K.

Until just a few years ago stars were just points of light even in big observatory scopes. a backyard scope of any size will only reveal stars as points (or it should if the optics are first class). BUT, planets -except Pluto- and nebula and galaxies will show good size, structure and detail depending on your optics and seeing conditions. Example- one night in Colorado USA, near Durango I could easily see dust lanes in the Andromeda galaxy with meade 10x40 binoculars, never before or since have I so clearly seen them with either my 6'' newt. or 90mm schm/cass Celestron. COLOR, except in planets MAY always appear as a hazy bluish cast - kind of like when you go underwater deep everything is bluish without artificial lighting. Some people claim to see color in the Orion nebula. Give your eyes plenty of adjustment time both for the night and to train them how to best see what you are looking at. I mean things like 'averted vision' -learning to see with the more sensitive peripherial areas-areas that may not have been as damaged by day to day life and bright sun. Don't look into the eyepiece with any particular expectation as to what you WANT to see, you will miss the wonder of what is truly there...hope this helps, Doug - P.S. I trust you know NOT to view the sun w/o proper filters and equipment !!!!!!!!!&# 33;

Oh, check the Sky & Telescope web site for an interactive sky chart. It will save you from watching or videoing Venus and claiming it's a "UFO slowing moving west, two nights in a row...". DO NOT cheap-out on eyepieces. Get in touch with a local astronomy group, ask their opinions and if possible observe with several eyepieces, this way you can get an idea of what different lenses you may want in your kit. Don't spoil a good scope with cheap eyepieces. You probably wont need to spend $200 US to find suitable oculars for your scope. I have some "Orion" ''ultrascopic" eyepieces that for me give excellent, pinpiont images. BUT, I have never used a Nagler!! ,so I may be missing out !!!

Hello,

Welcome to the forum to begin with!

I don't think this topic belongs in this section. A moderator will probably move to either "Observational Astronomy" or "Astronomy Equipment and accesories" - don't worry about though.

dougreed has already given you an excellent response, so, I'll just give you a brief on my personal experiences. I have a celestron nextstar 130 gt and I haven't yet upgraded eyepieces, I have a 10mm eye piece which gives magnification of x65 and, due to cloudy skies, the best celestial object I've observed is Saturn. I was pretty amazed, I must say, on what I could see of Saturn - I did expect it to be, meerly a point of light, but it was much more - not the size of a 10p piece, but only just slightly smaller than a 5p piece. I hope I'm not baffling you, but the point I'm trying to make is, that you'll indeed see a lot more than expected with a 125mm scope!

Constellations are magnificent to see through a scope. The plaides are really extraordinatry - quite breathtaking really!

I hope this helps you - feel free to ask more questions!
    Your question isn't dumb either!
    Regards
    Rigel

I get a good view of Saturn with my ETX-70 in a town, so you should get a very good view!

Let's suppose that an observer is viewing Jupiter through a telescope at 164x with an 82 degree apparent field of view Tele Vue Nagler eyepiece which will yield a true field of view of one half of a degree or 30' at that magnification. The current angular diameter (size) of Jupiter is 37.4". Therefore, the number of "Jupiters" that will fit across the TFOV is 1800" (30' x60"/&#39 divided by 37.4" or 48.

The moon is about 30' (1800") in size. (It varies by about 4' from apogee to perigee.) Thus, it will just fit into the field of view of the eyepiece previously mentioned. If Jupiter is magnified 1800/37.4 times or 48x it will subtend the same angle through the eyepiece as the Moon does to the naked-eye.

Dave Mitsky