Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's Tallest Structure to be built

New Scientist has an article detailing the construction of what will be the world's tallest structure. It will be a 1/2 mile tall commercial and residential tower in Dubai. Personally, this is what I thought they should have replaced the World Trade Center towers with, but I didn't get to vote. What does this mean for future construction in the flagship cities of the world? Will there be a 1 mile tall tower in the offering soon to dwarf this one?

StarLab Guest
    I wonder if the merits of such an undertaking outweigh the possible negatives?

I think for the time being we should stick with the Malaysia towers - its risky to build a new tall building especialy in this era.

Why not start with a ridge on the burj dubai tower to jump parachute from, just for the tourists of coarse

Originally posted by StarLab@Dec 13 2004, 01:55 PM
    I wonder if the merits of such an undertaking outweigh the possible negatives?

I think for the time being we should stick with the Malaysia towers - its risky to build a new tall building especialy in this era.
    That's a defeatist attitude! We should always strive for bigger, taller, and faster things! Besides, this is going to be in Dubai, not New York. Of course, I think the first 1 mile tall building should be built in New York - a giant middle finger extended to the whole world. :P

StarLab Guest
    a giant middle finger extended to the whole world.
    My thought exactly! B)

i don't know the exact nature of the article discribed - we don't get cheap in South Africa, but i saw a program on the discovery channel about a building even taller then the one mentioned here it will be called sky city it will be 1 km tall.

here is a link i visited it might be helpfull.

www.takenaka.co.jp/takenaka_e/superhigh/2skycity/skycity.htm

Constuction of buildings like these wiil be at risk just as the world trade centers where.

But i think as time goes on eventually more of these buildings will be built and who knows a the earth colud become somewhat like corasant in Star Wars, when that happens i don't think they will be at as much risk.

what do you think??

Originally posted by ChromeStar@Dec 14 2004, 07:08 PM
    what do you think?
    Regardless of the risk, It seems like there can't be a commercial reason to build a building that tall.
    the Earth could become somewhat like Corasant
    Possibly. It would take a few technical innovations in terms of water, power, sewer, food-production, and transportation.
    Forming opinions as we speak

It's really quite stupid building a building that tall in New York to satisfy America's ginormous ego. I think they should build a Mosque on the WTC site. Bin Laden would never attack that....but we won't go there.

What an interesting idea building a mosque on the WTC site, kashi, and the more I think about it, the more plausible it sounds.

I loved the "Middle Finger" concept.

Regarding Kashi's suggestion - I believe that it is not the belief system we have that causes "man's inhumanity to man" - but rather the evils of intolerance and hatred towards others that do not share our beliefs - whether it be science, religion or politics.

Without getting into religion or politics, I liked the mosque idea when I first heard it because it is a gesture of goodwill that is likely to weaken the extremist power base.

To get back on topic, Melbourne is about to have the world's tallest residential building, the Eureka tower. It's nearly finished, and my college cafeteria is now in its shadow:

www.eurekatower.com.au has more information.

I'm not even going to comment on the Mosque thing, except to say it should be in the jokes section.

humility.

How 'bout just going for it, and setting up some materials/power infrastructure on the Moon and building a 6 mile high tower? No winds to worry about, no earthquakes...ahem, Moonquakes(maybe). And, from what I have read, the terrorists don't visit the Moon all that much.

the tallest building in the world at current is 509 metres high.
    it's called taipei 101 and it's in taiwan

heres a link

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=100765

I dig the info at emporis.com. Some other good sites for this kind of info are:
    www.skyscraperpage.com, www.skyscrapercity.com and www.urbanplanet.org. If you're looking for images, www.pbase.com is always worth a search too.

kashi is 100%

i also visited these sites while looking for my above picture - but they don't let you copy them, so i got the one above with google.

Originally posted by kashi@Dec 14 2004, 08:28 PM
    It's really quite stupid building a building that tall in New York to satisfy America's ginormous ego. I think they should build a Mosque on the WTC site. Bin Laden would never attack that....but we won't go there.
    Theres a difference between patriotism and ego, Kashi, and about 95% of Americans fall under the patriotism category.

And I just have to ask, what good would building a mosque there accomplish? You do know there are mosques in the U.S., right?

Back on topic, wow, who would need a building that big? Imagine how long the elevator ride would take...

Back on topic indeed. It was inappropiate for me to drift off topic in the first place.

Hi bossman20081

Actually if a building was built any taller then taipei 101 like the proposed sky city (1 km high) the lift would run completly diffrently.

Infact work is being done on a MagLift. it's basically getting rid of the cables and will use magnets like the maglev trains, to move them a long, this will also allow for lifts to move side to side not only up and down.

have you seen minority report, it features there.

Yes, I have seen Minority Report, but I didnt think that they were anymore than science fiction. I didnt know anyone was taking the idea seriously, so I didnt even think of it. Interesting idea, I wonder when it will be first implemented.

Sorry for going off topic as well, Kashi, but it is in my nature to, well, write what I wrote. I'll try to contain myself next time.

Planetwatcher Guest
    the tallest building in the world at current is 509 metres high.
    it's called taipei 101 and it's in taiwan
    What would that be in feet?

My math is a little off as it is nearly 3:30 in the morning.
    Anyway I just read that the tallest current building in the world is something like 1,600 feet. There is one over 1,700 under construction, and talk of some new one,(perhaps even the one entitled in the topic which may be over 2,000 feet high.

Originally posted by Planetwatcher@Dec 31 2004, 04:18 AM
    What would that be in feet?
    about 1650 feet.

Taipai 101 comes out at 1670 feet.

More like half a km EG

[cough-cough] Freudian symbol! [cough-cough...]

Although it won't be a habitable structure there's a 1Km (3,300 feet) high tower to be built here in Australia. It's a tower for producing electricity from hot air collected underneath it and eventually they intend building 5 of them.
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,128...2,66694,00.html
    Anyone for base jumping?

I have two unanswered questions about the Solar Tower system. The article you linked to mentions that it can produce 200MWatts of power and takes up 25,000 acres. How much power does Australia currently use and how much empty land must be consumed by this system to meet that power demand?

The other question is what happens to the heat generated by this system? In the US there are complaints that the large cities (vast fields of concrete and steel) trap heat and disrupt normal weather patterns. How much heat will this 25,000 acre structure produce and what effect will that have on the local weather patterns?

And why did they have to spend a $1million to buy a farm when there are huge swaths of unpopulated outback that could be used without having to buy the land? Ok, that's more than two questions...

I missed the part in the article which said the collector was 25,000 acres. This is incorrect because the collector is about 4 miles in diameter which is roughly 8000 acres. The farm itself is 25,000 acres. Yes, there are enormous amounts of virtually unpopulated areas that could be used but then you're left with using enormous lengths of power lines (and their losses) to transport that energy so it's best to locate them reasonably close to where the power will be used. However, the 8000 acres for the farm is nothing compared to the area it could supply. At a quick calculation it'd take 40 of these to supply every house in Australia. That leaves whatever energy industry uses and I've got no idea what that might be.

As for heat generation it'll actually remove some heat because it's converting sunlight to electricity. A side benefit that was found by the working scale model was that it feeds extra moisture into the soil under the canopy so plants grow much better. I can imagine sheep grazing underneath