Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Technology Of Egypt

This topic might not fit under the "Everything Else in the Universe", so if you a moderator wants to move it, I won't mind. We've all heard the stories about how the tecgnology of acient egypt was TOO advanced for that time. And that rumor hase even become more populer with "strange formations" on Mars, and Stargate SG-1. I even read one article that said, "the technological gap in Egypt around 5000 B.C. (when the first "true" pyrimends were built) is comparible to the United States in 1900 except with every family possesing a Apple Computer". Did a gap that big really exsist in acient egypt? Do you think that the Egyptians were "TOO" advanced?

I'm gonna move it to Questions & Answers since you're posing a question...

Ancient Egypt has long fascinated me. I know there was a lot of talk about 10 years ago about how the Sphinx was built circa 10,000 BC (this was dated thanks to erosion that was thought to due to water) but that's since been disproven.

Alas, it's been farrrrrrrrr too long since I've read any books on the subject so my knowledge is rusty, to say the least, but something that's always confused me is this: if Egypt was so advanced at the time, then what went wrong? It's hardly considered to be technologically advanced to the rest of the world today...

Originally posted by Ziggy@May 14 2004, 06:45 PM
    Did a gap that big really exist in acient egypt?
    Egypt's big claim to technological advantage 5000 BC was that it was a culture on the banks of a huge river that reliably replenished the soil nutrients every year. It was also in a relative desert, and so natural preditors and nearby enemies were rare. Agriculture was able to develop very rapidly, and for the first time in history there were a lot of safe, well-fed people with the leisure to do new things.

Technologically Egypt at this time was not very far ahead of the Mesopotamia, India, Black Sea communities, and China, but economically, it was in a unique position.
    Forming opinions as we speak

StarLab Guest
    If it was in some unique position, why the H***don't we know s*** about it today!

Originally posted by StarLab@May 15 2004, 03:48 AM
    If it was in some unique position, why the heck don't we know spit about it today!
    We know loads about it today. What do you think we don't know?

StarLab Guest
    The WHYs, Tony, the WHYs.
    What was the purpose of building the pyramids (other than a Pharaoh's burial)?
    What did Egypt know that other civilizations didn't? In other words, Why were they so much more advanced that the others? How did they discover what they discovered?

Originally posted by StarLab@May 15 2004, 01:09 PM
    What was the purpose of building the pyramids (other than a Pharaoh's burial)?
    I think the only reason for the pyramids was for the pharaohs' burial. They had to make them so big because it was believed that the pyramids were the stairway to heaven (the afterlife).

Or maybe Daniel Jackson was right in that they were landing platforms for alien ships. :P

StarLab Guest
    The top of a pyramid does not have as much volume as the bottom...I wonder how alien spaceships could have attempted a landing there without the spaceship falling down one of the sides of the pyramid... :P

Originally posted by StarLab@May 15 2004, 04:34 PM
    The top of a pyramid does not have as much volume as the bottom...I wonder how alien spaceships could have attempted a landing there without the spaceship falling down one of the sides of the pyramid... :P
    I was talking about Stargate SG-1. The Goa'uld ships are pyrmaid shaped and it was thought to be an alien ship platform by one of the characters, Dr. Daniel Jackson.

StarLab Guest
    I've only seen the movie: is that what you're talking about, or an episode in the series?

It's the same in the movie too, when they're on Abydos and the Goa'uld ship lands on top of the pyramid.

StarLab Guest
    Now, there is just one problem with that...if aliens in pryamid-shaped spacecraft journeyed to earth to boost the Egyptians up a technological notch, how can the Egyptians only use Pyramids to bury the dead kings?

Oh, I was only kidding about the pyramids being used as landing platforms... From what I know, the pyramids were only used for burial.

In the book "Secrets of the Great Pyramid" by Peter Tomkins (Harper & Row 1971), there is an interesting chapter discussing the idea that the Great Pyramid was used as an astronomical observatory before it's final completion. Richard anthony Proctor, a British Astronomer, theorized in the 1800s that the Great Pyramid might have made an excellent observatory at the time it had reached the summit of the Grand Gallery, which would have given a large square platform where priests could observe and record the movement of heavenly bodies.
    In order to create a firm body of astronimical data, the ancients needed a true meridian so as to record the moment when stars, sun, planets and the moon transected the meridian. In Proctor's analysis, the builders of the Great Pyramid had accomplished such a feat by building a huge graduated slot, perfectly aligned on the meridian. Through this slot they could record their passage. In constructing this observatory, they needed a true north-south line. By observing the top and bottom of the circular paths of stars near the celestrial pole they could establish a meridian line. Proctor concluded that it might have been alpha Draconis which was 3 degrees, 43 minutes from the pole in 2160 BC. Having transferred a true meridiam to the ground, the ancient architects could have begun to consolidate this line by digging into a descending passage through the live rock, using their polar or circumpolar star to guide the tunnel downward at precisely the angle of the rays.
    For alpha Draconis, at 3 degrees 43 minutes from the pole, to have shown directly down the passage at the thirtieth parrallel, the passage would have had to be inclined at an angle of 26 degrees, 17 minutes--just the angle of the Descending Passage beneath the base of the Great Pyramid. Proctor points out that there would have been no question about taking the low culmination of such a star in preference to it's upper one: using the bottom of its circular path as a fixed point would have required far less depth of boring to reach a point directly beneath the center of the proposed building, the next object of the operation.
    The theory provides an explanation for the extraordinary straightness of the walls of the Descending Passage, as measured by Petrrie, who was astounded to find a mean variation from the central axis along the entire length of 350 feet of less than 1/4 inch in azimuth--from side to side-- and only 1/10 inch in altitude-- up and down.
    Once the ancients had measured the length of the Descending Passage and its angle of descent, it would have been simple, by elementory triginometry, to locate a central spot immediately above the end of the Descending Passage as a center for the proposed pyramid. With a central spot and a true meridian, the architects could set about laying the sockets holes for a square base and begin to lay courses on a level platform. By continuing the tunneling up through the lower tiers of the growing pyramid, they could maintain a precise orientation until the tunnel debouched from the narrowing side of the growing pyramid.
    Anew system was now neededto continue the meridian alignment upward in the Pyramid. For this, says Proctor, the builders hit upon the ides of creating an Ascending Passage at precisely the reflecting angle of another 26 degrees, 17 minutes. By plugging the Descending passage and filling it with water, they could reflect the polar strar back up the Ascending Passage and continue to keep the passage truly aligned as the building rose.
    But to what purpose? The Ascending Passage changes to an overlapping gallery, 28 feet in height. Proctor goes on to describe how this chamber, aligned on a precise meridian throgh the north pole with a narrow slot opening could be used to prepare an accurate map of the sky and zodiacal cyclorama.
    Its a great story and something to think about--Jack

mmm....I love stargate....I wish it was real.

Originally posted by kashi@May 16 2004, 04:56 AM
    mmm....I love stargate....I wish it was real.
    Me too

Guest_John Guest
    If you've never seen some of the suspected inventions that were gathered at the Great Library of Alexandria, you'd be surprised how advanced the Egyptians were. But that is how they got to the point they were. The, unlike other civilizations, had the early concept of the University where the best and brightest could gather together, share their ideas, test them, perform experiments, and create inventions. They also had immense resources in gold and trade goods. They sent out their merchants and the foreign merchant came in. Like medieval Arabia, Egypt was the commercial and intellectual center of the world. The advances they had, though, were all based on the movement of water and weights to power their inventions. It is rumored that the world's first steam engine, or its precursor, was a Greek-Egyptian invention, but that it was destroyed when Julius Ceaser burned the Great Library and sacked Alexandria.

The technological advancements of the ancient civilisations are indeed a question of interest. Not only in egypt, but also in india, cental america, etc. were there ancient civilisations whose advancement is not known.
    But while trying to explain the monuments of these civilisations, we must bear in mind that the motives, the causes that prompted them are different from that which prompt us to build monuments. their society was different from ours. Their motives may be somethings we cannot feel today. Something lost to the human race.
    We cannot explain it.

The ancient Egyptians were advanced enough to know that the earth was round, but they were also able to calculate it's circumference by measuring the length of shadows of obelisks on the summer soltice. There would have been no shadow in southern Egypt (Tropic of Canser) on that day but there would be shadows as you moved north on the meridian. Pretty advance technology.
    Jack

Do they know 3 dimensionals?

pguest Guest
    Pyramids couldnt have been for burials. They are too large, and had food storage in them as well as furnishings. See Tut's treasures. They were for living. Perhaps, to escape radiation or great heat. It is known that egypt was a green place when the pyramids existed new, and a later flood turned that land to the desert it now is, similar to how a flood or ocean turned oklahoma thru arizona, into wasteland removing the soil and leaving only sand.

Mound builders in the US existed as well, living under the ground to escape radiation, or high heat. Many mounds are found in the Ohio region, especially the famous snake shaped mound.

Then, we have pyramids again appearing in South America as well.

In the UK, underground stone mounds with same types of chambers underneath exist, dated 5000 years old or more. They contained carved stone sinks, which are not an item we need for burials. See Tumulus on the net.

In china, similar "tombs" exist, completely furnished, huge scaled, and elaborate underground. I believe these underground, chambered dwellings were for much more than simply burial. They also contain gigantic stone "carvings" that were more likely moulded of a stone recipe we no longer remember.

According to the dwindle theory, which says that not only the universe expands, but the solar system as well, Mars would have been in a position for life previous to earth. And, when earth drifts away as a result of the sun constantly burning away and weakening its hold, Venus would be next in line to support life in our orbit spot.

If this were true, any population inhabiting mars, would have known to move to the next closer planet. It would not have been possible to wait until the planet was the perfect temperature, as the receding planet becomes too cold for our type of bipedal life. One would have to move to a too-hot planet in the meanwhile, and wait for it to recede to a comfortable distance (earth's present orbit). The only way to do that, is to live beneath the surface. I believe a pyramid as well as a soil mountain (mound) would insulate a humanoid creature sufficiently from great heat and radiation.

With those people who would have come, came the knowledge to make artificial stone, such as we see the pyramids made from, the laotian "field of jars", stonehenge etc. If we cannot get to Mars presently and can only send objects there (5 years journey), they would have had much greater technology than we are up to today, to arrive here. It makes more sense that concrete we make today is the only remnant left for artificial stone recipes, from that time long ago when the knowledge was present. All the great megaliths are "made from stones imported to the area" - which is narrow thinking. Laotian Field of Jars (look it up on the net) are stone manmade objects, with the kilns used to make them nearby. The local people stated, that they were moulded from sand, clay, animal hide (glue protein), and other materials. Similar to making a ceramic, and similar to how nature formed all igneous rock in the crust by applying heat.

The pyramids in mexico contain many pillars, that have bubble marks from having been poured.

Why would the technology of egypt have become lost? Because of a mad max scenario, similar to the year 800 in europe setting everyone back, almost losing reading and writing and changing pronunciation of the english language thru a grapevine effect by the survivors. The largest volcano in Greece blew up circa 10,000 years ago, and I wouldnt doubt it coincided with turmoil on the globe that set everyone back from where they were. The ash would have created loss of sun for plant life, causing only the sea coast dwellers to survive easily, by fishing.

If earth were suddenly found to be drifting too far from the sun, and extinction imminent, would we not find a way to move to the next planet in, that would eventually take our spot of orbit? And if we did, would we wait till we were sub zero to make the move, or would we go while venus was still too hot? How would we live there, if not in a structure similar to a pyramid, if there were no caves to be found? And how would we seal our structure, to contain adequate gasses before temps arrived at proper levels for oxygen and water to exist in the states we know them in?

pguest Guest
    By the way,

The mexican pyramids show carvings of men in helmeted space suits. If the theory were true, they would have had to wear protective suits while building these things, if the climate were that horrendous at the time without proper gases as we know them at 100 degrees.

Its also apparent they had air travel long before we did. Why else would they have made the huge geo pictures on the ground in south america and the UK, of monkeys, Orion, etc. You wouldnt appreciate them unless you saw them from above, and they probably were used as markers to know your destination. They exist in the same places the megaliths exist (stonehenge, tumulus, south american pyramids, etc).

Originally posted by pguest@May 20 2004, 03:25 AM
    Pyramids couldnt have been for burials. They are too large, and had food storage in them as well as furnishings. See Tut's treasures. They were for living.
    The reason why the pyramids had food, furnishings and treasure was because it was thought that everything you brought into the tomb would be taken into the afterlife. You didnt have anything that you didnt bring, which is why such items were found in the tombs.

They also did have people living in the tombs, just not for long. The ancient Egyptians would choose several people to be buried alive with the pharaoh to join him in his afterlife- it was considered to be an honor.

Originally posted by pguest@May 20 2004, 03:25 AM
    If this were true, any population inhabiting mars, would have known to move to the next closer planet.
    If they were advanced enough to go to Earth, why cant we see the remains of their society on Mars today? Wouldnt their ships be found around Earth too?

galaxygirl, I think you are doing a good job holding the conversation on this thread close to the known facts about Egyptian culture and their belief in the afterlife, and how that influenced the design and use of the pyramids.

So, now we can get back to Stargate!

StarLab-
    The top of a pyramid does not have as much volume as the bottom...I wonder how alien spaceships could have attempted a landing there without the spaceship falling down one of the sides of the pyramid
    Center of Gravity! I believe that the resting point for the landing Goa'uld craft was up inside the body of the structure. With the mass of the vehicle around and below the resting point, the center of gravity is similar to the high wire toy holding the bar with weights on the end, perpendicular to the wire. The toy stays upright balanced on the wire.

Back to Egyptology!

Bray Guest
    I have heard many extreme theories about the Pyramids and the Sphinx. It is important to note however that the 3 giant pyramids of Giza were never duplicated thereafter to their quality of construction but the sphinx does fit the timeline of them. (a marker?) Looking at the other elements of life on Earth we find many ancient mysteries globally that could be connected for some ancient purpose.

One theory is that the pyramids around the world were actually weapons and a great "Pyramid war" did occur which accounts for the desert areas now. Seems that ancients (possibly alien) settled on earth globally, building pyramid Communities and had some polital attitudes thus they waged a war on themselves, globally. Far out, hu? There is much much more.....

To see a true big picture of ancient times read:

UFOlogy reports
    Bible
    Weird and strange events (now) and past
    Archeology reports (ancient Pyramids) by those who dug there. and students
    Astronomy of ancient days (egyptian time)

From Scripts (Very ancient) read; According to Zecharia Sitchin's book "The Stairway to Heaven", p.306 (soft copy):

"The ancient ? Egyptian Sinai Spaceport (SP) and the Landing Place at Baalbek (BK) lay on the perimeter of an inner circle..."

Sitchin also notes in Fig. 168 in 'The Stairway to Heaven', that the Spaceport lay along the 30th parallel lining up almost perfectly with the tip of the Gulf of Suez.

If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16,1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

Bray Everyone has an opinion don't they......enjoy this tidbit

Originally posted by Bray@May 22 2004, 05:43 AM
    If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16,1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?
    I can't speak to your claims about the pyramids, though I doubt very strongly that they were used as spaceports for aliens.

Concerning CFR Title 14 Section 1211, this was implemented the day Apollo 11 took off for the first lunar landing, and it did not forbid contact with aliens or their vessels, but DID demand that anyone having contact with an alien world, such as the moon, submit to a 30 day quarantine, so as to avoid the Andromeda Strain scenario.

The astronauts did undergo quarantine after their flights to the moon. CFR Title 14 Section 1211 was removed from CFR in 1991.

Urban Legends

Bray Guest
    Thanks for the repy antoniseb.

Just so you understand that none of what I said was my opinion or belief. I was quoting Zacheria Sitchen and his books and beliefs according to ancient texts,
    He is quite famous, internationally for his research and analysis of the ancient texts.

I am glad to see so many down to earth people here with open minds on this board.

The Quote about the law came from a UFOlogy lore website. People do mis-intrepret things and then it becomes false rumor or cover-up material for those who choose to believe it. Thanks for clarifying the purpose of that specific law.

Have you seen the Dendera Tomb in Egypt? It does have images in a lower chamber of devices that appear to produce electricity...that has not been proven though. Very interesting images. Definately worth a look at. A quick search will locate the web sites that have the official images displayed.

I almost forgot to mention,
    Well, I am actually off to Egypt this week, back to visit the pyramids and camels for two months.... and this time to the Dendera Tomb as well. It is that interesting.

Bray

see ya when I return. Bray

StarLab Guest
    Are there any professional reports by people who have studied the pyramids...I mean, any one with hard, publicized evidence that the Pyramids had anything to do with aliens? If anyone has a link, please bring it up under this topic, that would be greatly appreciated...

Originally posted by Bray@May 22 2004, 01:43 AM
    One theory is that the pyramids around the world were actually weapons and a great "Pyramid war" did occur which accounts for the desert areas now.
    Most deserts are located where they are (around 30 degrees N and S) because of the subtropical high winds