Thread: Electrons Versus Protons

Had a look at one of the papers regarding inertia and gravity in a topic about warp drives in "Human Space Flight". the link was in the post by Weaselbunny.
    http://www.universetoday.com/forum/index.p...?showtopic=2990
    I would try an give some more information if I could but, beyond the the title I had no idea what it was about. I sell myself short, the author a Vasselin Petkov of the Concordia University in Montreal commented on the 'classical electron theory or the classical electromagnetic mass theory' and then went on to explain things. That's where he lost me.

One question, well several did come to mind while reading.

1. What stops two protons repelling each other and pairing up with an electron each or flying off where ever?

2. What stops two electrons repelling each other and flying off into where ever?

3. What stops a single electron and proton from literally combining and cancelling each other out?

4. Is it incorrect to think of the electron/ proton charge as being two ends of a magnet, since it is this that makes me ask the questions of repulsion and attraction.

Now my knowledge of this stuff is nil, as you can guess by the questions.
    Any links to where I can find some basic explanations would be greatfully accepted.

1. What stops two protons repelling each other and pairing up with an electron each or flying off where ever?1.
    2. What stops two electrons repelling each other and flying off into where ever?
    The protons are stopped from flying off because they do pair up with electrons. If they were isolated from electrons, they would fly off. Similar answer for electrons.

3. What stops a single electron and proton from literally combining and cancelling each other out?
    The search for the answer generated the equations of quantum physics. Conditions that allow their combination produce neutrons.

4. Is it incorrect to think of the electron/ proton charge as being two ends of a magnet, since it is this that makes me ask the questions of repulsion and attraction.
    Yes. If magnetic monopoles exist, which I doubt, they would be more comparable.

Neither mass nor charge at the scales of electrons and protons are well understood in terms of their basic properties and structure string theories notwithstanding. Mass at larger scales is related to space warping; it seems reasonable to extrapolate space warping to the scale of electron and proton charge and masses. It may be useful to think in terms of the Higgs field being warped as opposed to the "vacuum" which the HIggs field permeates.