Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: William Shatner plans to fly on the next New Shepard launch

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Incidentally, speaking of derision, I notice you keep referring to SpaceX as “SpacedX.” What’s your excuse?
    Hi Van Rijn,

I suppose it is my stab at pointing out the emperor's new clothes, challenging the generally perceived infallibility, or opposite, of the players. I've criticized Musk's nonsense. Bozos and Virgil too, who recently launched customers to space and were ridiculed for that achievement by space fans. My stuff is way funnier and, in its own way, a tribute.

cheers,

I can’t speak for others, but I’d like to see BO become a worthy New Space competitor. My derision, so far as it goes, is limited to their attempts to hold back SpaceX’s and others’ efforts with attempts to manipulate the US government rather than focusing on building good hardware. I would like to see New Glenn become a success, for example.
    Same here. And I'd like to see Boeing get its act together as well. The more competent space companies we have the better.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    Hi Garrison,

If the guy with the funny cowboy hat gets a 90-year-old, Cap'n Kirk no less, up and down, it will be well beyond PR Stunt. BO will likely awaken a wealthy market of seniors unlikely able or willing to undergo more rigorous training required for full orbital flight. This should be good news for all space fans.

I don't know why so many space fans deride BO's (and Virgin's) efforts at commercializing space. I get it: SpacedX outshines them and everybody else in the market. But Bezos and Branson are also positively shaking up the industry.

Cheers,
    Blue Origin is currently suing Nasa, years behind on their own orbital rocket and has failed to deliver engines to ULA. They aren't shaking up anything with suborbital joyrides. And if we want to talk about awakening a market I would say Inspiration 4 was more effective.

I’m not against them, but I can’t see the space hoppers like New Shepard or SpaceshipTwo ever becoming that important as a business.

Incidentally, speaking of derision, I notice you keep referring to SpaceX as “SpacedX.” What’s your excuse?
    SpaceX/SpacedX, SpaceshipTwo/SpaceShipTwo— Muphry’s Law in action.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    SpaceX/SpacedX, SpaceshipTwo/SpaceShipTwo— Muphry’s Law in action.
    Mine wasn’t intentional, just a mistake, 7csb’s “SpacedX” is. I have nothing against Virgin Galactic.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

How to watch.
    To watch the launch live, you can head to Blue Origin’s website or go straight to the Blue Origin YouTube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    How to watch.
    To watch the launch live, you can head to Blue Origin’s website or go straight to the Blue Origin YouTube channel.
    Apparently it has been delayed due to weather.

https://www.space.com/william-shatne...-weather-delay

…The launch is now scheduled for 9:30 a.m. EDT (1330 GMT) on Wednesday. You can watch it here at Space.com, courtesy of Blue Origin, or directly via the company. Coverage will begin 90 minutes before liftoff….

Still, that’s an announcement pretty close to the actual event, not much lead time to build up hype there.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Still, that’s an announcement pretty close to the actual event, not much lead time to build up hype there.
    I saw some clips of an interview, and Shatner seems to have a good sense of humor about the whole enterprise, commenting about mostly looking forward to landing.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Tminus 45 minutes and they are in a planned hold.

Crews getting ready to board. Shatner looks like, well let's get it over with.

I’m impressed already. He climbed those stairs!

Tminus 26 minutes. Shatner just boarded. He's a Captain Kirk now.

Anybody else reminded of Galaxy Quest? I’m thinking of the scene where the old science fiction tv show actor (Tim Allen) ends up in space for real. No aliens here, though. Probably.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I’m impressed already. He climbed those stairs!
    I was impressed too. That’s not insignificant at 90. My mother had a walker by that age, and was taking elevators. She couldn’t have done that walk, she would have had to be carried. I was wondering about Wally Funk too, but she also did fine.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Tminus 15 minutes and another scheduled hold.

Romulans maybe waiting in ambush.

Hold was convenient for me, enabled me to be up and awake!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Getting close.

I’m glad that at least this time they aren’t mentioning the Karman line every five minutes.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

William Shatner plans to fly on the next New Shepard launch

I understand that the various companies involved in space flight want to toot their own horns, but some of the launch day telecasting is downright… gushing.

And they’re down.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

A joke/parody article I didn’t want to post until after they safely landed (I’m not superstitious, I just would have felt bad about the joke if something had happened):

https://newsthump.com/2021/10/12/blu...-space-flight/

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Well, I’ve heard enough from Shatner. Still, the idea that “Captain Kirk” made it to space reminds me still again that I’m living in the future.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I saw that picture yesterday and thought, well there's three people who aren't coming back.

We all should have purchased Planet of the Apes rubber masks for their return. Sure, it's the wrong sci-fi but any chance to hear Shatner say, "Get a life!" is a good one.
    Solfe

Well, I’ve heard enough from Shatner. Still, the idea that “Captain Kirk” made it to space reminds me still again that I’m living in the future.
    LOL. Yeah, he was effusive, gushing but hardly as eloquent as I wanted and expected.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I understand that the various companies involved in space flight want to toot their own horns, but some of the launch day telecasting is downright… gushing.
    Almost like certain threads about SpaceX on CQ!

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    LOL. Yeah, he was effusive, gushing but hardly as eloquent as I wanted and expected.
    What do you expect from a 90 yo man? He's lucky to have outlived his costars to be on this journey.

Was there any footage from inside the RSS First Step during the flight? I totally get that this is a private flight and they might just not have wanted the intrusion of cameras, but if there was any filming it'd be cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by marsbug View Post
    Was there any footage from inside the RSS First Step during the flight? I totally get that this is a private flight and they might just not have wanted the intrusion of cameras, but if there was any filming it'd be cool to see.
    Cabin video is usually posted sometime after the flight. They'll probably want to edit out barf bag usages, etc.