View Poll Results: How spicy are you?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero -- I can't tolerate it. Gives me ulcers.

0 0%
  • I'll dip my chips in a mild salsa at a Mexican restaurant.

2 18.18%
  • I'll even eat jalapenos on my nachos!

6 54.55%
  • I add heat to nearly everything!

2 18.18%
  • "Almost everything"? I put sriracha on my corn flakes!

1 9.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How spice are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Both, although the issue with flavor is not so much that the spiciness adds something bad as that it suppresses everything else around it that would have been good.
    Well, that can happen if it is just too hot, but milder peppers can add a lot to flavor. You probably need to get accustomed to the flavors more and start with very mild stuff first.

To be fair, I have my list of flavors I just avoid, like cantaloupe. I just donít like it at all and if it is in a fruit salad, it so dominates the flavor that it ruins it for me. And then there are things I use very sparingly like sour cream as mentioned earlier, mustard, or items with sour or bitter flavors in general.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Yeah, and I was going to say the same thing about Indian curry. The curries in the north (near Kashmir or Nepal) are very different from those in different regions further south. I once had Indian food with a friend (from Pakistan) who wanted to go into the restaurant first and ask them what regional food they served (he preferred the food from the north. And then there is curry from Malaysia which is generally milder. When I think of spicy food, I also think of Chinese (specifically Sichuan) food, and also Korean food.
    In the UK, there are restaurants that offer nothing but a standard repertoire of British curries. They often do take-away or home deliveries, and the food's cheap and of rather unpredictable quality. Then there are restaurants that offer the standard fare, with an additional short "traditional" section to the menu. And then restaurants that offer regional specialities of the kind you describe--tandoori, from northern India, seems to be becoming more popular locally.

We're currently enjoying Parsi curries, on our regular Thank Farok It's Friday.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

I like Taco Bell, but it is NOT Mexican food. Enchirito? Mexican pizza? "Loosely based on" maybe.

But, it is still pretty good fast food.

Oh, to go back to the thread topic, TB offers several sauces, from Mild to Fire and Diablo.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

If I'm going to have "Mexican" fast food, I go to Taco Time Northwest. Which is apparently a different company than Taco Time in other areas.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    If I'm going to have "Mexican" fast food, I go to Taco Time Northwest. Which is apparently a different company than Taco Time in other areas.
    Which not really related to this thread reminds me of the Pizza Hut in Suva, Fiji (circa early 90's). Totally nothing to do with the global chain. Hearing our Italian-born friend ordering a "Carciofi" and then being sternly corrected by the Fijian waitress on how that "c" in the middle is pronounced.

Indian food in Fiji (back on track?) was quite a mix, with the descendants of indentured workers from all over India (that's a big place) having mixed some of their food traditions.

I really don't care if we're all "coffee coloured" one day ... but I do hope not all Mexican food becomes Tex-Mex, and not all Indian food becomes UK-take-out.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.