Thread: Aduhelm

Aduhelm

I have recently been diagnosed with early stage dementia. I have heard of this new treatment and would like to hear a even-handed summary of it. I asked my psychiatrist about it and he replied he "sticks with what he knows". This is not an acceptable answer to me and I am searching for a new psychiatrist...if everybody had that attitude we would still have trepanning as standard treatment. But I would like to know more about this (without the usual internet bogosity) before seeing same.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I watch for these drugs too as my father and his twin brother died of Alzheimers. Offering no medical advice I see that the FDA has approved Aduhelm for mild dementia while reporting serious side effects. Personally I am also watching for news on ”type three diabetes” which is the idea that the brain is starved of glucose in type 2, but can get its energy from ketones with a controlled diet.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    I asked my psychiatrist about it and he replied he "sticks with what he knows". This is not an acceptable answer to me and I am searching for a new psychiatrist...if everybody had that attitude we would still have trepanning as standard treatment.
    While I understand your reaction, that turns out not to be the case. Most practising clinicians would adopt a similar attitude to your psychiatrist, because "what we know" comes from large clinical trials, and if the data from large clinical trials are unavailable, incomplete or open to debate, we file that in our "stuff we don't know" folder. So medical science proceeds through scientific investigations by skilled researchers, and responsible clinicians communicate that information to their patients by dividing the therapeutic world into a spectrum of knowledge ranging between "stuff we know with great confidence" and "stuff we don't know at all".
    In the meantime, why don't you take a look at the FDA's statement on aducanumab (Aduhelm). You'll see that a limited approval has been granted on the basis of a surrogate endpoint (effect on beta amyloid plaques), but that the FDA requires the manufacturer to run a good Phase III trial to test whether there is any measurable clinical benefit, and will withdraw approval if no evidence of clinical benefit is offered. We've unfortunately seen a very large number of proposed anti-Alzheimer drugs fail to show clinical benefit in the past, for various reasons, so the "clinical benefit" proviso is a key consideration for clinicians.
    Beyond that, you're only going to get useful advice from someone who actually knows your history, clinical presentation and test results.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog