Thread: Repurposed initialisms and acronyms

Repurposed initialisms and acronyms

With reference to the car manufacturer FIAT, in another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My transmission mechanic brother-in-law insists it stands for “Fix It Again, Tony.”
    There's a lot of that about.
    In UK medical practice, the initialism "NAD" is often used when writing up the systematic examination of a patient, meaning "Nothing Abnormal Detected". There's a deep suspicion, however, that sometimes junior doctors write "NAD" when they haven't actually examined the relevant system--so it's jokingly referred to as "Not Actually Done".
    When I worked in Canada, I was charmed to discover they had the same joke, with different letters: "WNL" for "Within Normal Limits" or "We Never Looked".

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Repurposed initialisms and acronyms

And the amusing/not amusing FLK.

(Funny-Looking Kid)

ETA: Oh, beg pardon. I don’t think FLK ever had any other definition. So not really in the category.

A couple of regional examples:
    Railroad that runs north from Vancouver to the interior of the province, passing through the city of Prince George, was originally named the Pacific Great Eastern, PGE, aka Prince George Eventually.
    Airline Pacific Western Airlines, PWA, aka Please Wait Awhile.

Yeah, Delta Airlines earned the initialism Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport...especially in Atlanta.

When I was growing up, people who worked for IBM used to say it meant "I've been moved."
    As above, so below

A bit esoteric to my career occupation (power plant technician/engineer), one of the major builders of power plants, Ebasco, was commonly referred to Engineering Blunders and Severe Cost Overruns. Undeserved, by the way. Ebasco was no less competent than their competition.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Yeah, Delta Airlines earned the initialism Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport...especially in Atlanta.
    I hear from people working at DFW that having them there (for what few flights American Airlines lets them bring in...) messes with the use of the phonetic alphabet for terminals. You've got Alpha, Bravo, Charlie - and one where Delta is just not appropriate.

Among birders, at least in the US, "LBJ" is not Lyndon Baines Johnson (36th President) but "Little Brown Job": one of many small, brown, usually sparrow or sparrow-like, birds.

Along those lines, though not meaning anything else, is ADYC - a wildflower admirer term for "Another Darn Yellow Composite", again for many, many hard to tell apart, composite, yellow flowers. And I've always heard it as "Ay Dee Why Sea" (the individual letters), not "Add-Yac".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I've usually used LBB, for Little Brown Bird.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Doing this to make fun of team/sponsor names is kind of a common thing in America’s Cup fandom but some of them aren’t printable. The best one in the last competition was calling the British team (INEOS), I’m Not Even On Schedule, Incapable of Negotiating Exit Out of Seawater, and Irritating Nuisance to Environment and Observers of Sailing.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

During my time in USAF aircraft maintenance, I was sometimes assigned to CRS, the Component Repair Squadron, which had alternative definitions. Three of them almost formed a complete sentence:

Columbian [Recreational Cigarette] Smokers
    Can’t Repair [Stuff]
    Call Radio Shack
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    With reference to the car manufacturer FIAT, in another thread. ...
    Another car related one: certain people in these parts (OZ & N.Z.) consider FORD to be "Fix Or Repair Daily".

Personally that's never sound right as fix/repair is a repetition anyway. This stuff comes from the Holden (R.I.P.) vs Ford tribalism.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Another car related one: certain people in these parts (OZ & N.Z.) consider FORD to be "Fix Or Repair Daily".
    Not quite on topic, but that makes me think of joke alternative names for certain companies, like Muckdonald’s, Taco Hell (Taco Bell), and Monkey Wards (for the now defunct Montgomery Wards department store).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

"Fix or repair" never made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    "Fix or repair" never made sense.
    True. It sounds a bit like "cease and desist" or "assault and battery."
    As above, so below

ITE is the Institute for Technical Education, a school that provides work skills for students who do not plan to go to a college or university.

For parents who would prefer that their children spend time at the uni, ITE stands for "It's The End".

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    True. It sounds a bit like "cease and desist" or "assault and battery."
    Although the meanings of these words have blurred into each other in common usage, they have a legal distinction. "Cease and desist" is "stop doing it now and don't do it again"; "assault and battery" is "threatening violence and then committing violence". (In the UK, at least, you can be guilt of "assault" without laying a finger on someone.)

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    ...(In the UK, at least, you can be guilty of "assault" without laying a finger on someone.)
    Likewise in the US.

What if you shake salt on them with a salt shaker? ;-)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Not quite on topic, but that makes me think of joke alternative names for certain companies, like Muckdonald’s, Taco Hell (Taco Bell), and Monkey Wards (for the now defunct Montgomery Wards department store).
    Crapplebee's, Taco Smell.

I'm reminded of an non-acronym that was repurposed. When I was an avionic sensor systems technician, I worked on several systems that had a binomial designation. The first part was "PAVE". Initially, (yes, I see what I did there) it was just a code word used in association with a wide range of programs, primarily those relating to sensor/detection systems. Since it wasn't an acronym, it usually appeared in title case, rather than all caps.

My field pretty much got its start during the last few years of the Viet Nam War, with the deployment of Pave Knife. I worked subsequent laser target designators with similarly sharp or pointy sounding names: Pave Spike and Pave Tack. Another was Pave Penny, a simpler laser spot detector. I presume that since it lacked a laser of its own, the name was intended as in, "Look, I found a shiny penny.

None of these second names were acronyms but an unrelated system bucked the trend. PAVE PAWS was Cold War radar system which was well outside of my field. In this case, PAVE became a "backronym" for Precision Acquisition Vehicle Entry, while PAWS stood for Phased Array Warning System. PAVE was also a backronym for Precision Avionics Vectoring Equipment for the Pave Low and Pave Hawk helicopter systems.

Apropos of nothing, one other system I maintained was TISEO: Target Identification System, Electro-Optical. I mention it only because it was basically a small catadioptric telescope mounted in the left win...and something-something-astronomy-forum.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    What if you shake salt on them with a salt shaker? ;-)
    Are you a salt seller with a salt cellar?