Thread: Hitchhiker's Guide gesture controls get real

Hitchhiker's Guide gesture controls get real

In Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, touch controls for technology have given way to touchless controls, where you just "gesture vaguely and hope for the best". Now Google and Amazon are trying to make this dubious method a reality.

https://techxplore.com/news/2021-07-amazon.html

Amazon on June 22 asked the FCC, which regulates airwave uses, for permission to market a device that uses radar. The technology captures movement in three dimensions, enabling a user to control its features through simple gestures and movements, the company said in a filing.
    The FCC earlier granted similar permission to Google for radar to enable touchless control of Pixel smartphones, the agency said in its letter approving Amazon's request.
    And the kicker? Amazon is pitching this radar as a 3D sleep monitor. Amazon will watch. you. sleep. Nothing wrong with that, nossir!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I already control my technology through simple gestures and movements.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    In Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, touch controls for technology have given way to touchless controls, where you just "gesture vaguely and hope for the best". Now Google and Amazon are trying to make this dubious method a reality.
    It seems to me this has been a staple of science fiction, at least in the movies, for a while. And I suspect it will work about as well as the touchscreens on my phone or computer, which get what I want done correctly about 80% of the time.

I'm already amused by people walking by seemingly talking to themselves, it will be even more amusing to see them gesturing wildly.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm already amused by people walking by seemingly talking to themselves, it will be even more amusing to see them gesturing wildly.
    The makers seem to be picturing Tony Stark "swooshing" aside his cutting edge holograms. Instead they'll be giving people the same cool factor as someone swatting away flies.

We’ve been able to clap to turn the lights on or off since I was a kid.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

We've been able to turn the lights on or off by making a simple poking or flicking movement with the index finger of one hand since I was a kid.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Jul-14 at 12:28 AM.
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Doesn't a Wii do that?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    We've been able to turn the lights on or off by making a simple poking or flicking movement with the index finger of one hand since I was a kid.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, but you have to touch something to do that. Now you can flick your finger from across the room!

...Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Doesn't a Wii do that?
    I suspect that one of the problems with this technology, as with the Wii and similar, is getting it to pay attention to the right signals and understanding what your signals mean. With the voice systems, you don't want it to order two cases of cat food from Amazon when you are just yelling at your cat to get off the sofa. And then there are all the classic problems of Wii or Siri not understanding what you are saying when you do speak to them.

I suspect there are similar challenges with gesture systems. If I yawn and stretch my arms, I don't want my computer to erase my files and magnify the image on the screen.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I acquired a new gimbal for my phone not long ago and the associated app has features for control gestures. If I want get a photo of The Wife and I during our travels, for instance, I can set the gimbal down on its attached mini tripod and flash the camera the peace sign. This triggers the shutter after a short delay, so I can not be flashing the peace sign in all of our selfies.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)